Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
And I guess he did come here and "asked".

I think I'll go and read some Aldous Huxley.
Based on that allusion I think you have Quim confused with someone else.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
"Maemo 6" will not be used by Nokia as a brand since all the marketing effort around the software platform will be around MeeGo.

[...]

- For those caring about the platform in depth, Harmattan =! MeeGo.
I'm slightly confused about this. Dropping the Maemo name for Harmattan is a reasonable thing to do now, but if it's not MeeGo (technically)... should it be called MeeGo? Will it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
FYI, forum has been renamed. This thread has been sticky-ed as well. Thanks.
In the words of Darth Vader...

"This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi, it will soon see the end of the Rebellion."

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2010-02-16 at 19:37.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
...There will be also the APIs available for those willing to use them, provided directly by other open source components in the platform (e.g. GStreamer). Developers will be of course free to use them, at the expense of losing compatibility ... with MeeGo...
Well, that's not a great example, since Moblin uses GStreamer too... Actually, can you name any components that are significantly different between the two systems? I don't mean things that one platform has but the other is missing, I mean different components that do the same thing in the two systems? I'm thinking of the things you refer to as "some obscure middleware components" later in your post.

Then there will be the obvious difference in packaging (deb still for Harmattan, rpm for MeeGo) but this won't be the big issue and anyway compatibility with Symbian implies specific packaging as well.
Great news! More time for Maemo developers to adjust.

For those caring about the platform in depth, Harmattan =! MeeGo. If we would make Harmattan identical to MeeGo then we would need to postpone dates and, really not for a good reason...

...This is why we are dropping the "Maemo 6" *brand* while keeping all the Harmattan development full speed and in the same direction that it was.
Another bit of great news! Just because something is "really not for a good reason" doesn't mean a lot of companies will do it anyway, for political reasons.

I'm sure the Maemo developers are happy about that too.

Although I'm very curious.... What's going to happen to "Maemo Devices" inside Nokia? Is it just changing names to "MeeGo Devices" or is it being completely restructured?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
why is this so hard to understand?! Maemo6 as a brand name is replaced by MeeGo! Harmattan is the internal name for the first instance of MeeGo for handhelds. Maemo6 was just a label, and though a movement, not a religion.

Now wonder how much influence Meego will have on Symbian?

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
why is this so hard to understand?! Maemo6 as a brand name is replaced by MeeGo! Harmattan is the internal name for the first instance of MeeGo for handhelds. Maemo6 was just a label, and though a movement, not a religion.

Now wonder how much influence Meego will have on Symbian?
Sorry I think you're out of your depth here.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
I think you're missing the point rather. There's more to what Maemo is/was than just the brand name, there's substance too. From what we've been told so far it appears that Harmattan will be exactly the same thing that it would have been it were still going to be called Maemo 6, but it will acquire the MeeGo branding anyway. The version after that will be the first to include the changes to the substance, and will arguably be the first real MeeGo (or at least, Nokia's first MeeGo).

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The thing is we don't know just how MeeGo Maemo 6 is (waiting anxiously for the Harmattan SDK ). It's not *really* Meego, as we already know few marked differences from Maemo 6. M6 is just close to it, and renamed to harness the buzz. Not necessarily bad, but with considerable potential to cause confusion (hence the need to know exactly in what ways it IS meego and in what ways it isn't).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
We allready have report of first "MeeGo" device from LG. Link That one looks like Moblin. Now Nokia is essentially saying that Maemo 6 will be rebranded as MeeGo.

In other words there's a great opportunity for consumer confusion here, if both Moblin 2 and Maemo 6 are marketed/branded as MeeGo, before we have truly unifield MeeGo platform.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
But the name "Maemo" is sooo much cooler than "MeeGo"!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dantonic For This Useful Post:

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding