Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
No arguments there. What would be good if the CF sites had a rating system of the people behind it so users could rate away real scammers, and failers from the successful users.

Since the crowdfunders can say anything and have absolutely no accountability to speak the truth or even try to produce what they say... the sites should atleast have the option to vote or comment the user/company behind it

so threads like this is important so that failed campaigns don't get away with it. It must cost to fail...
That wouldn't have worked in this case, because Jolla had a good reputation.

This was a scam, though. They used crowdfunding money to pay themselves, and hoped to find new investors to pay off the old "donators." When they couldn't make payroll, they reached out to the "donators" to encourage them to "donate" for a second or third of the product that they already couldn't afford to deliver. If that's not a scam, there's no such thing.

Of course, it's not uncommon behavior for startups - relying on new investors to pay off the old ones...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'd say this is good and fair.
People should know that crowdfunding is an investment with a hefty risk potential; most of the projects never deliver the original target of the campaign.

"if you are not willing to kiss the money goodbye, don't invest"
You know, I have no problem with the argument that investing in crowdfunding entails some risk. The problem I'm having with all this is that the risks were quite minimal in this case. Instead there was some hardware issue about the quality control of the screen which caused a delay. However this was not like a new screen technology was being developed. Then there was the issue of losing a backer. Again this is not like investing in an idea with a strategy to try to make it work but there is no guarantee that it could work. I can understand that as risk taking, but, in this case everything was quite doable as demonstrated by the fact that a working tablet was manufactured and distributed to a select few. It appears that most of Jolla's problem stem from the losing of a backer and maybe a mismanagement of funds/priorities. This is not what I would normally consider to be risk factors when investing. I guess I will have to in the future.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pharmakon View Post
That wouldn't have worked in this case, because Jolla had a good reputation.

This was a scam, though. They used crowdfunding money to pay themselves, and hoped to find new investors to pay off the old "donators." When they couldn't make payroll, they reached out to the "donators" to encourage them to "donate" for a second or third of the product that they already couldn't afford to deliver. If that's not a scam, there's no such thing.

Of course, it's not uncommon behavior for startups - relying on new investors to pay off the old ones...
I agree on all what you say, except for the part "This was a scam, though" since this exactly was not a scam. A scam in my books is when somebody does not deliver because of malicious intent; all that could be done to save the project was done and people really put their best effort on it. Failure was due to external influences that coluld not be mitigated.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I agree on all what you say, except for the part "This was a scam, though" since this exactly was not a scam. A scam in my books is when somebody does not deliver because of malicious intent; all that could be done to save the project was done and people really put their best effort on it. Failure was due to external influences that coluld not be mitigated.
I dont think it really matters how we label it. Lots of poeple feel <useYourOwnWord> and its bad for jolla. The bottom line its a brand that many wont Trust atm.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-05-10 at 06:56.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Again...
That kind of "again" implies a repetition or recurrence of a past event.
When was Jolla great in your opinion? I am not knocking down their achievements, but I would not go as far as calling them "great".

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That kind of "again" implies a repetition or recurrence of a past event.
When was Jolla great in your opinion? I am not knocking down their achievements, but I would not go as far as calling them "great".
I think they where pretty great when they delivered the Phone. After that they have constantly declined. The product itself was far from good but to me it doesnt really matters.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think they where pretty great when they delivered the Phone. After that they have constantly declined. The product itself was far from good but to me it doesnt really matters.
I think you're being quite unrealistic if not a bit naïve. They did deliver a phone, we've seen them bend and twist from a last second hardware change and still hit good dates and deliverables with the phone and they've delivered an optimized operating system that incorporates parts of stuff that came from projects we liked - Mer, Maemo, MeeGo, whatever else.

Simply put, Jolla established themselves as an option to iOS and Android at a time where folks didn't have a choice (no, Elop/Windows Mobile was never an option to folks here).

They have not declined. In fact, Jolla has improved. The OS now scales. Russia has forked their own branch of Sailfish. Brazil, South Africa, India and other countries have looked at it, if not invested into it to be a possible path to avoid the American duopoly of iOS and Android.

That is progress. All from bits and pieces that we're partially aware of (Mer for instance) and have used and perhaps trusted.

You need to get over this constant personal rant of yours. You've invested perhaps a couple of hundred dollars/pounds/euros into a company that's used millions to get where they are now. Crowdfunding is a gamble, it's like the lottery. Sometimes you win, sometimes you do not. But I swear to all that's good/holy/unholy... you are acting like some entitled brat about **** that you've decided to take personal.

You say it doesn't matter. You lie. It does matter... I've not seen anybody as bitter as you about something in the past for this long that's not one of my ex-girlfriends.

Their product is not a viable choice for everybody. I would not hand a Jolla phone to my Mother. She doesn't need to interact with a community just to get an answer about how to install something that requires more than click, install, enjoy.

But you guys are savvy. You are acting like a child. I know my words mean absolutely nothing to you, you will just continue to rant ad nauseum and feel just okay about it because this forum gives you a voice.

With that said, continue on. I know you will continue unabated with your puerile tantrum.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I think you're being quite unrealistic if not a bit naïve. They did deliver a phone, we've seen them bend and twist from a last second hardware change and still hit good dates and deliverables with the phone and they've delivered an optimized operating system that incorporates parts of stuff that came from projects we liked - Mer, Maemo, MeeGo, whatever else.

Simply put, Jolla established themselves as an option to iOS and Android at a time where folks didn't have a choice (no, Elop/Windows Mobile was never an option to folks here).

They have not declined. In fact, Jolla has improved. The OS now scales. Russia has forked their own branch of Sailfish. Brazil, South Africa, India and other countries have looked at it, if not invested into it to be a possible path to avoid the American duopoly of iOS and Android.

That is progress. All from bits and pieces that we're partially aware of (Mer for instance) and have used and perhaps trusted.

You need to get over this constant personal rant of yours. You've invested perhaps a couple of hundred dollars/pounds/euros into a company that's used millions to get where they are now. Crowdfunding is a gamble, it's like the lottery. Sometimes you win, sometimes you do not. But I swear to all that's good/holy/unholy... you are acting like some entitled brat about **** that you've decided to take personal.

You say it doesn't matter. You lie. It does matter... I've not seen anybody as bitter as you about something in the past for this long that's not one of my ex-girlfriends.

Their product is not a viable choice for everybody. I would not hand a Jolla phone to my Mother. She doesn't need to interact with a community just to get an answer about how to install something that requires more than click, install, enjoy.

But you guys are savvy. You are acting like a child. I know my words mean absolutely nothing to you, you will just continue to rant ad nauseum and feel just okay about it because this forum gives you a voice.

With that said, continue on. I know you will continue unabated with your puerile tantrum.
Not sure what you are trying to say. You might be wrong, you might be right, basically it's irrelevant when you talk about other users positions/opinions. But OC, you are more than welcome to voice your opinions.
Long posts doesn't make you more right you know. Take care!

You Rock!

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-05-10 at 16:02.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I think you're being quite unrealistic if not a bit naïve.
I remember something someone on here said about long posts, you can just read the start and the end, I think they were right! (of course because everyone is right)

Originally Posted by tommo View Post
I remember something someone on here said about long posts, you can just read the start and the end, I think they were right! (of course because everyone is right)
Smart Guy that someone!

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund