Active Topics

Here's an exclusive at Internet Tablet Talk. We were able to get permission from Nokia to play the Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition launch video here at itT. Enjoy! Please do not embed, copy, or distribute this video without proper permission from Nokia. If you haven't seen the Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition in action and the side-by-side pics with the N810 Standard Edition, you can view them here. [Thanks Satu & Tomas!]
Read the full article.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
... except there's no WiMAX anywhere to speak of (and none whatsoever in Europe), the first large-ish scale launch is delayed for several months (and that's being optimistic) and at least two different technologies are being deployed by competitors.

What are the odds that this is the equivalent of HD-DVD?

The same as the odds that LTE is equivalent to Blu-ray?
Of course, I don't know the odds on either yet;
And I think they more likely play out like CDMA vs. GSM, anyway, given that the mobile data market is already highly segmented by carrier, so many customers are used to, so the carriers can easily perpetuate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
if LTE is done in a similar fashion to UMTS, it will probably be dual mode or even triple mode devices (LTE, UMTS, GSM).

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
We can speculate all we like at this early stage, but only time will tell the failure or success of WiMAX.

Spec-wise, who would have predicted VHS over betamax? Seriously, folks.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
VHS, people are lazy bastards.

thats also why DVD took over so rapidly from VHS, while blu-ray will not (and the hd-dvd vs blu-ray stuff didnt help).

this about it, the only thing that blu-ray offer vs dvd is upped resolution. the "no rewind" is the same, the "choose any part of the movie to start at without fast forwarding" is the same. and lets not forget that the added bitrate stuff have been tried ones before. audio dvd's anyone? same number of songs as a cd, but use a dvd player and media to store them at a higher bit rate. sounds familiar? i have yet to know anyone that actually listen to those.

and at the same time one have to replace the whole setup, tv, player, cabling, to get the benefits.

and same was for CD vs cassette, only that the self-flipping nature of most cassette players there helped keep it around longer imo. and now the CD is being replaced by data files simply because you can transfer and create mix lists in limitless numbers.

Last edited by tso; 2008-04-04 at 17:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by tso View Post
VHS, people are lazy bastards.

thats also why DVD took over so rapidly from VHS, while blu-ray will not (and the hd-dvd vs blu-ray stuff didnt help).

this about it, the only thing that blu-ray offer vs dvd is upped resolution. the "no rewind" is the same, the "choose any part of the movie to start at without fast forwarding" is the same. and lets not forget that the added bitrate stuff have been tried ones before. audio dvd's anyone? same number of songs as a cd, but use a dvd player and media to store them at a higher bit rate. sounds familiar? i have yet to know anyone that actually listen to those.

and at the same time one have to replace the whole setup, tv, player, cabling, to get the benefits.

and same was for CD vs cassette, only that the self-flipping nature of most cassette players there helped keep it around longer imo. and now the CD is being replaced by data files simply because you can transfer and create mix lists in limitless numbers.
And of course, P2P downloads have nothing to do with the remarkably speedy shift to full digital...

Not really, the switch to CDs was seriously under way (if not complete) before napster, the first popular peer-to-peer music redistribution system.

Although that would fit with this explanation quite nicely too.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
And don't forget iomega tapes!

Man, my stepdad lost a mint on their stock because he didn't believe when I told him CD-ROM was gonna kick iomega's butt...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
...while blu-ray will not...
Yeah, CED's time has finally come. I can feel it!