Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Me too I tried contacting peregrine devs but no response whatsoever and their twitter account is inactive from a long time . I am just wondering why they left the project when they were nearing 90% of completing their app.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
Me too I tried contacting peregrine devs but no response whatsoever and their twitter account is inactive from a long time . I am just wondering why they left the project when they were nearing 90% of completing their app.
Yeah I dunno what the hell their prob is, at least tell us what happened.
Totally rude to just ignore us....
If anyone knows some other way to get hold of the pricks, please share.
I might pay them a visit with some thugs...

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yeah I dunno what the hell their prob is, at least tell us what happened.
Totally rude to just ignore us....
If anyone knows some other way to get hold of the pricks, please share.
I might pay them a visit with some thugs...
Elop bought them over to Lumia?

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
I hoped Peregrine devs were part of Plasma Active effort, since basysKom who develops Peregrine is listed as part of the project. If Peregrine got stagnated - it's bad news. Looks like it didn't have commits since November 2011: http://gitorious.org/peregrine

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-03-09 at 02:40.

FINALLY got something out of the Peregrine devs:

jbos: hi, basically peregrine is stoped
jbos: no ongoing work
Me: @jbos Thank-you for your kindness in responding. Why is that? It looked very promising…
Me: Just 2mth ago it seemed you were going to continue. As I recall you just had some technicalities you were trying overcome.
Me: Please if possible can I get a response before the weekend. I believe it's 5pm in Germany now.
Me: It's hard to get you guys, so some final detail on what happened would be really appreciated! Thank-you.
Me: @jbos? Please! Before you leave for the week-end. Thank-you!
jbos: well
jbos: there are other projects and the N9/N950 is really not a good platform for creating a IM
jbos: with telepathy
jbos: the system uses telepathy and hooks into it quite against the documentation
jbos: so we decide to stop and do new stuff
jbos: didn't make any sense
Me: So, on which platform (F/OSS or not) are you focusing your efforts now?
Me: Do you still plan to implement Skype & GTalk (XMPP/Jingle) video-chat there? Thanks.
Me: @jbos? Sorry to hassle so much, just want to catch you before the week-end! Thanks
Me: @jbos Can I catch you some other time? Just have some more Qns about your latest video-chat work & how (if) I can help.
Me:

No idea why it's been so hard for them just to spit that out, doesn't sound terribly convincing.
I'm leaning more towards no business case because Nokia's no longer backing them etc.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-10 at 05:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
It looks like Peregrine video call for N9 is not going to happen. Can't blame them. They are not the only ones who think that N9 is not commercially worth it. What about Skype? No need even to ask.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I hoped Peregrine devs were part of Plasma Active effort, since basysKom who develops Peregrine is listed as part of the project. If Peregrine got stagnated - it's bad news. Looks like it didn't have commits since November 2011: http://gitorious.org/peregrine
In January they were definitely still expressing their intent/interest in continuing.
They had an issue or two (can't recall the detail now) that were big showstoppers.
But they were actively looking for a way around that....
I vaguely recall them saying they needed something in 1.2 before things would be easier.

Frankly, I'm sick of being part of a niche OS which commercial developers don't give a f*** about. Waiting and begging for apps to be made when everything is available and spoilt for choice in Android. No MS Office editor, no Shazam, no Soundhound, not even a working wifi scanner and an old version flashplayer in a half baked fennec. How far can the elegant Swipe UI compensate for the lack of apps? I don't know about others but I'm feeling the strain after months of sticking out and hoping things get better. To top it off most of the N900 community is openly hostile towards N9 and refuse to port their apps over. I don't how much longer I can last when the Android Market calls to me like a seductive siren.

#rant over

Originally Posted by SamGan
Frankly, I'm sick of being part of a niche OS which commercial developers don't give a f*** about. Waiting and begging for apps to be made when everything is available and spoilt for choice in Android. No MS Office editor, no Shazam, no Soundhound, not even a working wifi scanner and an old version flashplayer in a half baked fennec. How far can the elegant Swipe UI compensate for the lack of apps? I don't know about others but I'm feeling the strain after months of sticking out and hoping things get better. To top it off most of the N900 community is openly hostile towards N9 and refuse to port their apps over. I don't how much longer I can last when the Android Market calls to me like a seductive siren.

#rant over
Latest FP isn't available for all Android handsets, not even most.
Tried the latest Fennec builds? Run much better for me than the one in the Store.
Pretty sure I saw talk of a SoundHound client or a client for a similar service, can't recall where.
Shazam, again pretty sure there's an alternative....
I'm personally not interested in that kind of app so I haven't looked heavily.
Editor, you can have a full blown editor in Debian chroot...
Not n00b proof, but the way things are evolving it seems the BoE for such things will be lowered.
Calligra editor for Plasma's being worked on soon, once done it's UX will be tweaked for SwipeUX.
Anyway this is all off-topic, maybe start another app rant thread like you did in Dec?

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-10 at 05:52.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Anyway this is all off-topic, maybe start another app rant thread like you did in Dec?
That's OK, I'm over it now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post: