Notices

How did you make it keep the display on? I am writing a photo frame app and can't figure out how to do that.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by superpj101 View Post
interested on this one. also any chance for a simple converter to convert it to sqlite format? for less space.
Well, it is certainly technically feasible to do - even both ways.
Maybe a CLI utility for starters.

Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
How did you make it keep the display on? I am writing a photo frame app and can't figure out how to do that.
Check out the n900 device module in modRana source:
http://modrana.org/trac/browser/trun...device_n900.py
Especially these lines:
http://modrana.org/trac/browser/trun...ce_n900.py#L49
http://modrana.org/trac/browser/trun...e_n900.py#L150

In a nutshell, you have to connect to the MCE through DBUS and pause blanking every <60s for another 60s.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Izmir - TURKEY
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
hello, I didn't read whole 740 post so, sorry if it is being asked twice,

How can I download tiles to my pc? I should find a way to do that because I chose around here, 80 km, +8 down, +5 up (or sth like that), modrana says ~355000 tiles to be downloaded. I left my N900 to download them last night, at the morning I saw it downloaded 30k of them, AND was downloading too slow if I compare to beginning. So, I need to download them to my pc then should move them to n900. Tiles are in /home/user/MyDocs/.maps/OpenStreetMap I , I guess ?
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post
On your PC you can use Mobile Atlas Creator. Set atlas format to "OSMTracker tile storage". There is plenty of information on how to use this tool including video tutorials. Just google it.
Tryed gmapcatcher, but file structure seemed to be different. Now trying this, file structure seems to be same with modRana. Hopefully this will help, after waiting some 7-8 hours to be downloaded.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I have just released V0.25-5.
  • it contains an improved version of Gkuennings patch, that fixes overlapping announcements being skipped
  • modRana no longer uses the google provided triggering distances, but a minimal distance (100 m default, configurable in Options) + Gkuennings patch to assure sanely close turn announcements - this might also come in handy in the future when using other online/offline routing methods
  • there is now a bit more advanced distance rounding that should make the voice messages shorter without sacrificing any significant precision
  • modRana now automatically enlarges the point reached distance when it is smaller than current per second speed ( = modRana should no longer skip turns due to high speed)
  • T-b-T update is now synchronized with position update ( = it should better react to position changes)

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-07-11 at 23:05.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Martin,

just an enhancement idea: right now, maps get downloaded when they need to be displayed (if configured likewise). It would be great to increase the rectangle that triggers a download.

Today I was driving around and modRana was downloading on-the-go. The link wasn't very good so downloads were not very fast, which made some tiles take some time before downloaded.

In this use-case, having the download trigger earlier would cause blue/green tiles never to become visible - ie making sure they are downloaded before they come into view.

I admit this does increase download amounts a bit. Maybe this can be optional or only done for the route ahead (if any).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by petur View Post
Martin,

just an enhancement idea: right now, maps get downloaded when they need to be displayed (if configured likewise). It would be great to increase the rectangle that triggers a download.
On a related note, an option to download all tiles along a freshly computed path would be nice. If I route to an address, good odds I'm going to drive there. And if there's a bad patch of non-coverage along the way, having the tiles pre-downloaded would really be nice.

All the parts needed are there... It's effectively a "download along route" for the currently selected route, without the need to save, find, re-load and hit the dozen button combos needed to do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by petur View Post
Martin,

Today I was driving around and modRana was downloading on-the-go. The link wasn't very good so downloads were not very fast, which made some tiles take some time before downloaded.

In this use-case, having the download trigger earlier would cause blue/green tiles never to become visible - ie making sure they are downloaded before they come into view.

I admit this does increase download amounts a bit. Maybe this can be optional or only done for the route ahead (if any).
I had this problem especially when I was using in portrait mode and did ~90 turns.

When not routing maybe rectangle area or triangle where the forward area is further away and when routing then rectangle follows current route in advance.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Another enhancement idea:

Right now, the location of the current position on the display is selectable (middle or 75% IIRC). For straight roads this works fine, but elsewhere, this could do better.

How about a nifty way to locate the current position such that a maximum of the route ahead is shown on the screen? Maybe it could select between 5 positions (center + 75% towards each edge) depending on where the route is going...

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
I just had a chance to test it with the new features yesterday. I just got a Bluetooth earpiece, and was using that and ModRana's voive directions to navigate. I now have a new request: If there is going to be a long distance before the next direction, coult it say how far away it is? For example, sayin "Drive 5 km, then turn right on Cherry St."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
If there is going to be a long distance before the next direction, coult it say how far away it is? For example, sayin "Drive 5 km, then turn right on Cherry St."
I second this, this would be a very useful add-in, often times I take the highway, where only upon inspecting modRana's map, I see that the next turn is in 100km or so, so having it pronounced would be great.

In fact most non-free routing apps do this - say: Take the highway and drive for 100km...

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps