Active Topics

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
In personal experience...back in the day ...before 2010 I seemed to have no issues with the flashers 3.0 ...of course the exact date when issues with the flasher began may be hard to pinpoint...after all the necessity to reflash the n8x0 is pretty low. So it was maybe half a year...maybe a year later I went to use the flasher and I encountered a slew of problems trying to reflash. Did my research. And the best and quickest solution was the Nokia tablet update wizard (works great on xp)...I still use it...works no matter what. Just start it up ...plug in your nokia to your pc...don't turn n810 on yet. let the software wizard try to connect to get you updates ...it will say it failed to do so...the option then is to click next....there are a detailed number of imp. things to do here...do not plug the nokia power in...make sure usb cable is connected...on the left side of the tablet face are 2 buttons a lower and upper...the upper looks like a square superimposed over another square....hold down on it ...while holding down...with your other hand power up the nokia...you will see a usb icon in the upper right corner of the screen...give it a moment and at the bottom of the nokia wizard interface window it will finally say found device....(it may seem awkward but it is so reflashing never occurs by accident) and install from file...If you have the document file folder open on your desktop...just drag and drop the rx-44 you don't need to browse and hunt for it. hit enter. done.

If you were hoping for a simple thoughtless process free device....that is a windows device...an apple device...even an android to a point. The price of being a helpless sheep is ....you pay .....you are told what you can and can't have...As well as how long the planned lifespan of your device and software will work until you are forced to upgrade or buy into the next generation of planned devices.
The n8x0 is a very easy(once you get the hang of it) device to use and can be as simple or as complex as the demand you can think or aspire it to have. Emails,web surf, movies, and tunes,
right up to the extreme of physics, chemical, and hard core calculations ...to multiple full fledged operating systems. run singly or in multiboot... It is a computer as much as it is called an internet tablet or multimedia device.
This device and it's platform are the absolutely last thing that should go on the pile at the landfill. It's open source...doesn't mean it's one click easy...you have the control...you have the choice...This also means that there isn't a corporation going to limit you or pull the plug on the software....Its users who make all of it possible.
Yes there isn't the grand number of n8x0 users and program creators here that there used to be...Words like doomsday and the end and the golden age etc float around...but what the alternatives are is pure flash and little substance.. I don't care how many cores it has..Devices with real solid application...with a determined hardware supporting it.... are very very very few.It is a remarkable tool and I wouldn't at all be surprised by a resurging interest in the device and forks( off-shoot os's so to speak) of the platform.
Linux for a windows user initially may as well be greek. But the sense it makes when you get it...is more like latin....it makes a clean crisp sense.....it is logical. I understand your frustration.
Either learn, research the trial and error of years of posts here, ask people who use the device...taking advice from someone who has never used your nokia generation model may not be the best advice...for example what the n9 folks know is waaaayyyy different in many regards from what help you need. It's a different platform..different hardware..I had a look at some of the answer that were given to you and there were a few that were pretty muddy and didn't steer you correctly to a solution...the rx issue was one example...Addison is a sharp cookie and I would most certainly be listening intently to what help he can provide..anyway....just get a copy of the tablet wizard and run it on your xp...do it right and bob's-your-uncle and you will be in a whole brand-spankin-new world of confusion....but a happier state of confusion...It will settle into normalcy so don't be too worried eh?
Don't flood the forum with questions...Stick to this thread for the time being regardless of the seemingly "new" problems you have...they are really just one problem...getting your device operational ...keep it tight and in one thread and we have a better chance of helping you than chasing you through multiple threads trying to help and confusing you and us along the way.
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I will try and just stick to this thread, and look at this as a new journey. I guess my next journey will be to look for the Nokia Table Update wizard.

Hello People,
A member of this site sent me a flasher exe that seems to be the correct one.. However, the bin file from another source on this site did not work C:\RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin.. that one or the 48 version. So.... now it seems I need to locate the correct .bin file for the flasher to work. I will keep looking but does anyone have any suggestions?
The deal is that I did get the computer to recognize the n810 and the flasher program seemed to not complain except it said that the ".bin" files I tried to use which were from one of the referred threads here was not the correct ones. I will keep looking. If anyone has any suggestions please reply.

VR
buffalo

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
Hello People,
A member of this site sent me a flasher exe that seems to be the correct one.. However, the bin file from another source on this site did not work C:\RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin.. that one or the 48 version. So.... now it seems I need to locate the correct .bin file for the flasher to work. I will keep looking but does anyone have any suggestions?
The deal is that I did get the computer to recognize the n810 and the flasher program seemed to not complain except it said that the ".bin" files I tried to use which were from one of the referred threads here was not the correct ones. I will keep looking. If anyone has any suggestions please reply.

VR
buffalo
Firstly lets settle the model issue once and for all...take the back of your nokia off....take the battery out...there is a plate with text on it...3 lines down it will say "type" ... it will state either "RX-44" or "RX-48" ...Not both.
RX-44 is for the standard nokia n810 ... RX-48 is for the Wimax edition (the odds are yours is not this model).
USE ONLY THE BIN FOR YOUR MODEL ...other types will not work.
The update wiz (I use all the time for my models) I sent and right now the RX-44 I just zipped and clouded to you works..there is nothing wrong with them. If you need the RX-48 it is because you have the wimax edition...and I unfortunately don't have that copy. If you have all the tools and it still doesn't work for you....it isn't due to faulty copies ...the reflash wipes the system and does a clean install...so previous errors are cleared for a fresh start...but human error or omission. Write down and document every step you do so you can see afterward what went wrong and so you have a set of instructions for yourself (in plain English that you understand for future reference) when you hit on what worked.

good luck

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-07-09 at 18:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Firstly lets settle the model issue once and for all...take the back of your nokia off....take the battery out...there is a plate with text on it...3 lines down it will say "type" ... it will state either "RX-44" or "RX-48" ...Not both.
RX-44 is for the standard nokia n810 ... RX-48 is for the Wimax edition (the odds are yours is not this model).
USE ONLY THE BIN FOR YOUR MODEL ...other types will not work.
The update wiz (I use all the time for my models) I sent and right now the RX-44 I just zipped and clouded to you works..there is nothing wrong with them. If you need the RX-48 it is because you have the wimax edition...and I unfortunately don't have that copy. If you have all the tools and it still doesn't work for you....it isn't due to faulty copies ...the reflash wipes the system and does a clean install...so previous errors are cleared for a fresh start...but human error or omission. Write down and document every step you do so you can see afterward what went wrong and so you have a set of instructions for yourself (in plain English that you understand for future reference) when you hit on what worked.
good luck
EndorMeans.. thanks... I looked on the back where you suggested and yes.. it is RX-44. I will keep at it....
Buffalo

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
There are no visible message in the in-box
Where is it getting the goofy idea there are 567 messages..?
What do you have in the "Sent" messages?

Any other folders under "Nokia N810"?
(For some reason, these folders don't get counted in the account summary, although the messages in them do.)

Last edited by scaler; 2013-06-27 at 17:51.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Well, I still get "%m"..
[rant aside]
IIRC %m means "file not found" for the (crappy) windows flavor of flasher-3.5
Please check "properties" of your *.bin fiasco image file and use the full qualified filename (like C:\Applications\common\foo\bar\RX-48_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.binFIASCO.bin) in your flasher commandline. Pro tip: even windows console (CMD) allows pathname completion using TABulator-key, so you type a few chars like "C:\App" and then TAB and it expands/autocompletes the string to the point where it starts to be ambiguous ("C:\Applications\") and you continue to type and TAB again.
Again, don't use my made up pathnames like C:\App... here, rather find out what's the correct full qualified pathname for YOUR fiasco file, in properties (right mouse button, context menu, iirc - no windows here, sorry)

/jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
OK, thanks.
Issue has been solved. It was caused by numerous bad bin files that were on this site. Someone off line sent me a Good one and it loaded 1st time and my Nokia is running like new. It was in one of his private cloud storage sites. So... I would hope someone loads a good .bin to this site someday..
vr
Buffalo

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
[rant aside]
IIRC %m means "file not found" for the (crappy) windows flavor of flasher-3.5
Please check "properties" of your *.bin fiasco image file and use the full qualified filename (like C:\Applications\common\foo\bar\RX-48_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.binFIASCO.bin) in your flasher commandline. Pro tip: even windows console (CMD) allows pathname completion using TABulator-key, so you type a few chars like "C:\App" and then TAB and it expands/autocompletes the string to the point where it starts to be ambiguous ("C:\Applications\") and you continue to type and TAB again.
Again, don't use my made up pathnames like C:\App... here, rather find out what's the correct full qualified pathname for YOUR fiasco file, in properties (right mouse button, context menu, iirc - no windows here, sorry)

/jOERG

I'd be very surprised to find "bad bin files" on tabletsdev.nokia.com.
could you pretty please elaborate!?

/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I'd be very surprised to find "bad bin files" on tabletsdev.nokia.com.
could you pretty please elaborate!?

/j
All of the stuff on this web site rejected. I do not have software to disassemble it so how would I know.... It was junk. nothing worked. I forgot how many versions I tried certainly too many. It was not my computer since when someone sent me off line a "good" version it worked perfect the 1st time.. There is junk on this site and i did not keep records of all of the files that I tried to load.... It got a bit discouraging. Well it is more than 3 months old so why would I expect Nokia would support it... Since no one has heard of this issue it shows I must be one of the sole survivors using N810. At least I do not have to toss it just yet. Employment has been occupying my time so I did not keep notes...next time it goes I suppose I will toss it. Like to help but If i do not write code.

All of the stuff on this web site rejected. I do not have software to disassemble it so how would I know.... It was junk. nothing worked. I forgot how many versions I tried certainly too many. It was not my computer since when someone sent me off line a "good" version it worked perfect the 1st time.. There is junk on this site and i did not keep records of all of the files that I tried to load.... It got a bit discouraging. Well it is more than 3 months old so why would I expect Nokia would support it... Since no one has heard of this issue it shows I must be one of the sole survivors using N810. At least I do not have to toss it just yet. Employment has been occupying my time so I did not keep notes...next time it goes I suppose I will toss it. Like to help but If i do not write code.
I like to fix any bugs I get knowledge of, but that's a bogus/incorrect report for sure.
MAYBE you had problems with downloading files since you ignored EULA or used a browser that had problems downloading the files. Telling me we have just junk on this page is... insulting.
/j

ps:
Code:
joerg@stage:/var/tabletsdev/nokia_N810/downloads$ md5sum -c MD5SUMS 
index: OK
LATEST: OK
LICENSE: OK
RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-18_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin: OK
RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-19_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin: OK
RX-44_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin: OK
RX-44_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin: OK
RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin: OK
RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.36-5_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin: OK
RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin: OK
joerg@stage:/var/tabletsdev/nokia_N810/downloads$ ll
total 919208
drwxr-xr-x 2 repository repository      4096 Dec 17  2008 ./
drwxr-xr-x 6 repository repository      4096 Nov  9  2007 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository       933 Dec 17  2008 index
lrwxrwxrwx 1 repository repository        48 Dec 17  2008 LATEST -> RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository     13677 Nov  9  2007 LICENSE
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository       707 Dec 17  2008 MD5SUMS
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository 135163747 Nov 13  2007 RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-18_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository 135163751 Nov 23  2007 RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-19_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository 141227980 Dec 18  2007 RX-44_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository 141228111 Feb 19  2008 RX-44_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository 129103249 Jun 24  2008 RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository 129799311 Oct 30  2008 RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.36-5_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 repository repository 129537556 Dec 17  2008 RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...tml#idp5122192

another 5 minutes I had an exciting task to do (check MD5SUM) rather than fixing REAL bugs. Without TMO I'd probably die from boredom

sidenote protip: LATEST is available for download, even when not listed in index. I been too lazy to edit index since then I had to also create new MD5SUMS
sidenote noobtip: you MUST accept EULA, and even then only 2h ([edit] page says "1 hour") for download by directly clicking on the links on http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N810.php

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-07-14 at 13:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: