Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It was said that Harmattan will be Debian based, so here's how I interpret that:

Harmattan isn't step 5 of 5. It's step 4.5 of 5. Or, maybe, it's step 5 of 6. Oh, I don't know. I think my hair is turning blonde.

But until someone puts a MeeGo version number on Harmattan, the confusion won't stop, so I'll do it:

Harmattan == MeeGo .8
I've read it somewhere, just can't find where at the moment, anyway, Harmattan is MeeGo 1.0.

Unless your == means something else a la != :-)

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
if it helps anyone (MeeGo/Harmattan/Maemo6 confusion):

http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...n_features_.3F

Last edited by Mandor; 2010-03-16 at 16:21. Reason: Clarification

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
The old question about Harmattan/Meego being supported on the N900 is not just a question about whether it is supported for developers but also for the average consumer, and while the developers are going to be left quite happy developing for free for Nokia's new breed of MeeGo machines on the commercially available and arguably misrepresented and missold development machine that the N900 is, the average end user might not be.
Put this MeeGo support in perspective:

- From unstable to stable, if MeeGo doesn't make developers happy it will never make users happy. Developer happiness is a requird milestone no matter what.

- Leaving aside the Nokia-centric perspective, if MeeGo doesn't make users happy by own merits it will give a hard time to device vendors making happy their customers. So again user happiness is basically a milestone for MeeGo no matter what.

Sure, still this doesn't answer the question of Nokia's Harmattan official support and Nokia proprietary apps, but maybe these two axis help you figuring out worst case scenarios.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Intel did pull their Meego titled netbook download. Right now there is no Meego distribution in the wild. Instead of using "!" (not) maybe we should use "~" (approximately) and entitle Maemo 6 "~Meego-N" and Moblin 2.2 "~Meego-I".

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
I've read it somewhere, just can't find where at the moment, anyway, Harmattan is MeeGo 1.0.

Unless your == means something else a la != :-)
You're right, I think qgil says it here:

I cannot tell you what is the delta between Maemo5 and (Harmattan)/MeeGo 1.0 because it is not fully clear yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'd **** bricks if they spend more resources in unifying the branding elements of MeeGo than actually synchronizing the technical aspects of it.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Put this MeeGo support in perspective:

- From unstable to stable, if MeeGo doesn't make developers happy it will never make users happy. Developer happiness is a requird milestone no matter what.

- Leaving aside the Nokia-centric perspective, if MeeGo doesn't make users happy by own merits it will give a hard time to device vendors making happy their customers. So again user happiness is basically a milestone for MeeGo no matter what.

Sure, still this doesn't answer the question of Nokia's Harmattan official support and Nokia proprietary apps, but maybe these two axis help you figuring out worst case scenarios.
Hi, I'm grateful for the reply, and don't really want to get into an argument at all, and even with a sentence that is generally a prelude to an argument, I'll just pose a question if I may.

With the N900, I would take this site as ample evidence that developers are very happy with Maemo 5. So I think that milestone has been achieved. Now how about the end user?

Wow, I stop reading for a few hours, and there is already a ton more posts.

To clarify some points to my post.

I never said MeeGo was based on Fedora, only used Fedora in a comparison to upgrading from a Debian base.

Harmattan is just the release name for Maemo 6, Even if they decided to dump Maemo and go with MeeGo, Harmattan was just a release name. For example, Debian Squeeze 6.0, or Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04.

MeeGo, as per their insistence, is RPM based, and so Harmattan, being debian Based (at least that's what they're still saying, right?) would be the next logical choice for our updates.

Unless we're just getting Maemo 5.1.2 or whatever they do their internal versions as.

I've been around Linux for a very long time, and even in the Windows world, you know there are code names for releases. Longhorn became Vista, etc.

If Maemo truly worked like Debian and wasn't tied into the hardware as much as it was, you could theoretically just change /etc/apt/sources.list to use harmattan instead of fremantle and use Maemo 6. Or in the case of the n8xx phones, change diablo to fremantle. Has anyone ever tried this? (sorry if this derails this topic, which is really been chewed to death anyhow).

So again, to clarify.

MeeGo = RPM based distribution (it's own flavor (flavour for the UK crowd)

Harmattan / Maemo 6 = QT4.6 Debian based with some API / UI changes that MeeGo will also have. In essence, MeeGo+Debian = Awesome IMO (whether we get this update is still to be seen)

N900 = Awesome phone/mobile computer. As a side thing I thought funny, when I loaded up blueman on my Debian box this morning, it detected the N900 as a 'Computer' rather than a phone.

slaapliedje

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ The South Pole O.o
it is true, you cannot "upgrade" between two different operating systems, like say from Windows XP to Ubuntu, but you can always install a fresh operating system instead, which will require some "flashing" and some "hacking" for it to cope well with any given hardware

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
m2cm2c- how do u know we could install meego on the n900. what specs does meego require- the nokia is pretty low powered compared to all these other htc's or apples coming out.

and you gotta understand that the software has to run the hardware- there may be limitations on the n900's design.

its pretty obvious that meego is not gonna work on the n900- and if it does it will not work effectively.

just give it up..

and get real xp to ubunto isnt exactly an upgrade is it-..

nokia you are a bunch of %$N)S

Last edited by mysticrokks; 2010-03-25 at 00:51.

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76