Active Topics

i just picked up a n810 and want to do something useful w/my 770 currently running 2007HE

some questions
1. is it even possible to create a mail server on the 770 running 2007HE? do i need to downgrade to 2006?

2. i control a domain and i am the only user so the volume of mail should not overwhelm the tablet

3. i am a relative linux newbie so i need good instructions as to how to do this- where can i find a faq if it is possible

4. am i asking too much to put up a webpage as well on the 770?

any suggestions are appreciated

tia

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Not sure if there are any MTA's ported to Maemo or not. You might be able to just 'apt-get install' either postfix, or sendmail from the command line as root. As for installation instructions - both postfix and sendmail are heavily documented and supported in their respective communities.

Issues I see are:

1. A mail server should be connected all the time - this means power cord in, and turned on all the time.

2. What about backup, virus scanning, spam filtering. You would need something like ClamAV and Spamassassin running via mailscanner for example.

I also have my own domain, and I was running a postfix/courier-imap/mailscanner installation on an Ubuntu 6.06LTS home server. I had it running for over a year, and I found it to be a bit of a pain after a while. Ensuring mail is backed up (via RAID, and rsync), keeping on top of Antivirus, etc.

So, I recently switched my domain's mail to Google Apps (www.google.com/a). As long as you control your MX records, you can use their service, and benefit from their venerable mail system (now with IMAP). This has really reduced my daily headache, and has given me alot more functionality than I had before.

As for webpages, yes, there is an apache port now on maemo.org, as well as a few others. Again, the respective communities for the webservers have good documentation on setting them up. Google Apps also will serve your webpage for you if you chose to have them handle the mail for your domain !!

Ask more questions if you want to proceed down the path of setting up the mail server on the 770. I'm more than happy to lend a helping hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
thanx - sounds like a project for this weekend

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Belgium
This is actually a neat idea I might try myself, because this might give some second life to the 770 when the battery starts to wear out. I currently use a linksys nslu2 with debianslug firmware for this, and my old 770 would actually be a nice upgrade in comparison. If you enable the usb hostmode, and get the proper equipment (self powered hub, and y cable with gender changer to feed power back to the usb port) you can attach usb harddrives and ethernet adapters easily. With initfs you can boot directly from a usb harddrive, bypassing flash entirely.

I wonder if there is a way to get debian/armel to install and boot...