Active Topics

Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
How much are "many", 2 percent, 10, 30?

Ok, but this highly depends on the installed applications,
mainly desktop widgets.

You forget one important portrait mode support. The phone.
I will change many to some then.

Yeah knew there was a portrait mode I was forgetting but couldn't remember what it was.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
etuoyo, you really need to remove the parts where it's about your personal preferences only if you want this to be a reference for those wishing to buy the N900 (and possibly you will also stop receiving negative replies).

Originally Posted by giecsar View Post
I think someone already said this, but some of the "issues" you mention aren't really issues, it's just stuff you don't like or doesn't suit your needs.

The lack of the portrait mode for instance is not an issue at all, it is by design. Take a closer look at the "Nokia" logo and the "N900" text, what's the orientation? When you slide out the keyboard, what's its orientation? When you pull out the kickstand to watch a movie, what's the orientation of the screen?
The N900 has phone capabilities as an added bonus, but it's actually an internet tablet (or mobile computer if you like). This is what everyone forgets and then gets frustrated about the interface not working in portrait mode like any other phone.
Please be more specific. Which ones are the things I have listed that are not real issues and I will edit. For example someone said their is a third party app to get call divert. I did not know about that. I edited my first post to reflect there is such an app. It is still an issue because some willl not know there is a third party app and some will expect them to be in there without the need for a third party app. But they certainly do exist and apart from the last section they are things I know for certain others besides me have experienced.

The point of the list is that everyone says you should have done your research. It is in no way intended as a review. It is a list of things that you may not get from reviews and may only get by using the device for a certain period. It is a warning for potential buyers. I have no duty to Nokia to not deprive them of any potential customers. If anything on the list is an issue for them they consider, weigh it against all the pluses and make their decision.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It is interesting that Texrat has never experienced screen scratching, but screen scratching was reported by quite a few users before the vast majority of N900 users (including me) bought screen protectors.
Note that I acknowledged experiencing it on the N800. And as a former Nokia QA engineer who analyzed numerous product defects and their causes, I'm very well aware of how huge the issue of contamination is for these devices... external and internal.

Dust is a big one mainly due to static. If assemblers do not wear the proper grounding straps, they tend to introduce dust into the mechanics of a device. But beyond that, in general use, dust likes to go to objects that cause and/or attract static. The motion of a stylus against a screen, especially under certain environmental conditions, can increase that probability.

So odds are I've just been fortunate in my use that no damaging particles have insinuated themselves between stylus and screen. While I have been way too casual with regards to screen protection, I *am* careful when it comes to static. VERY careful. In fact, no carpet in my house. That static avoidance may well be the difference here. Nothing that should be so surprising, geneven, just physics.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
etuoyo, its a very good initiative.dont bother abt the references nor being in wiki. let potential buyers know what to expect.

wld have loved such a thread providing all this consolidated information b4 i spent my 600$

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcarlos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
wld have loved such a thread providing all this consolidated information b4 i spent my 600$
Some of these complaints have been around since the launch (some even before, from early testers). Nothing prevented anyone from putting together a reasonably objective list long ago. In fact I encouraged complainants to do so months ago but this is the first time I've seen anyone take that up this comprehensively.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It is great to have a fairly objective list that can be challenged and added to. In fact, I'm going back and adding a Thanks to the original posting.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Woodbridge, UK
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Hey etuoyo,

Are you getting paid for this?

I mean, I understand that you don't like the N900 and stuff. You probably work for a competing company and your job is to disband the Maemo community. (Or you're just a plain fanboy?)

I experience NONE of the issues you listed, so I don't believe you.
You lie!

Seriously, why couldn't you post your rant to an already existing thread?
...and why cant etuoyo let some steam off? He / she is merely collating all know existing problems / bugs and bringing them to light and asking for anyone else to add other issues. How else for Nokia to create a fix?

I like the fact this has not been tagged onto another thread - it has a good header and its fresh.

This list is invaluable for both potential N900 users and existing users alike. From a mobile phone point of view Its an expensive piece of kit. As a community who know the product we should be obliged to provide information about what we know about the N900 so we can end up being a happy community. Not everyone has had the same success as you so instead of lambasting etuoyo why not embrace the fact he / she is only trying to help?

I also happen to think you were quite rude to etuoyo. No need for explanations marks either.

Zan

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zanzibar2 For This Useful Post:
can this thread be sticky'd and all the other complaint thread get merged into this one?

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
can this thread be sticky'd and all the other complaint thread get merged into this one?
I won't argue with a sticky, but etuoyo has taken a more professional approach than many of the complaint threads so I prefer this one not be corrupted by them.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: