Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Design by Community - moving on to Size and shape:
http://conversations.nokia.com/design-by-community/

I don't know why Nokia believe a big flat Monoblock less than 10mm with a sliding lens cover is not ambitious enough.

Nokia is the above speck is too boring it needs to be 1cc and attached to my glass frame and beam HD content into my eyes to create 3D augmented reality.

HTC seem to be getting it right.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm getting pretty disillusioned with these polls. By not letting us vote for the "not ambitious enough" or "way out there" designs, they are scewing their results to the middle-of-the-road.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Oh dear it's even worse.

Why is a slide QWERTY not enough? I HAVE to make it <11 mm? I hate thin phones, I never have the grip. They look like ping-pong paddles.

Leave it in the Brick form factor and cram stuff in. Here's a thought: use the difference for a battery. Or storage. Or a secondary SIM. In fact, here' more: High-speed WIFI. RJ45 or slimmed down version with adapter. PS/2 connector. Physical normal-size USB. Dual accelerometers. Compass. Finer accelerometer. High-speed storage. RAM. Dual CPU. Secondary display. Secondary camera for stereoscopic imagery. Better optics. Zero-lux camera. Larger keys. More keys.

I need to chill.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
the phone is already dead to me, capacitive doesnt work with thick skin, and i work outside a lot so my hands have become callous to reflect that. this is unacceptable. capacitive is also FAR, FAR less accurate.

contracting stantum for their resistive screens would have been a much better idea. i feel that the apple has corrupted a perfectly good technology. its remarkable how well the screen works in the 900, its so easy to use and fluid. but whatever this design by community does from here on out will neigh have my support. a true shame.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
I'm impressed.
So many hardware designs but story of Apple shows that there is no need for zilion of devices "for everyone".
I see this now as need for software development.
Hardware performance of different devices tend to become similar and software makes the real difference.
That's only my point of view but now I see that I can select different devices that meet or almost meet my expectations from the hardware side, the thing is I don't like using WM phones and what I read about android makes me bit sceptic.
In fact apple has shown that the 'model T Ford' approach has huge benefits and enables third party accessory makers to create an ecosystem around your product.

I hope Nokia realises that trying to produce a phone format for everyone means that there are so many models that all are less useful to everyone than the single form factor with a huge support of accessories.

The n900 is a great form factor- stick with it. Make the battery bigger and fill the whole front with display over time. But get all you can out of the one form factor and allow the accessory market to boom

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
My ideal form factor is also very close to what the N900 is. Just give me a slimmer phone and I'll be a little happier. Although there's nothing wrong with larger ladies...

I don't think that anyone has one single type of dream phone that will satisfy all their needs. I for example crave phones like the X10 and HD2, but after drooling a while reality hits me in the face and reminds me of the on-screen keyboards. And I go back to lovin' my N900. So practicality goes beyond looks for this forums dweller.

I voted for 4" resistive qwerty goodness. Am waiting for poll to include chance to say batteries from play phones (5800) shouldn't make it into "real" smart phones.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Actually, playing with the 'design by community' tool exposes that someone is playing clever to appear to have endorsement for their own design parameters.
For example. I enter my actual preferred design and am greated by 'keep tweaking' - I cannot press submit.
Change 'automatic lens cover' and i can submit the design. Now i actually dont like the idea of an automatic lens cover as i feel manually opening the lens cover to activate the camera is better.
But the design i like cannot be submitted, so in order to submit a design i must select a parameter which is not my actual choice!

So at the end of the process there is a lot of data indicating 'people preffered x vs y' giving the appearance than people all indicate they desire certain features.....however designs must be compromised in order to be able to press submit.

For an example, more designs can be submitted with an automatic lens cover than with a manual design. My own submission must either state i prefer an automatic lens cover or i cannot enter any vote at all---- even though i actually oppose an automatic lens cover!!
I wonder if the votes for a capacitive touch screen had the same 'vote rigging'???

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
As for capacitive screens.
I was somehow a big fan of capacitives, thinking that my tablet's resistive is inferior.
That was until I've had HTC HD2 in my hands.
With low resolution displays like on Iphone and of course with UI designed for fingers only - it's more than OK, but HD2 with it's WM (even with modified HTC interface) is not very friendly.
High resolution and small switches/buttons etc scream to me "use Your nail" - and oops - I can't use one... I have to cover a large number of pixels behind my fingertip and believe that I'll make the right press/slide action.
I'm cured off capacitveness

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XTC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
http://conversations.nokia.com/design-by-community/

Just to keep you thinking about Nokia ideal device, the next stage of Design my Community is up, it looks like the there are no holes bared when it comes to the enclosure.

BTW, Nokia, I want mine ruggedized with elegantly designed over moulded elastomer corners. (to ease my pain as suffering when I drop it on concrete. which I seem to do about once a month)

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Thought control? Me or the phone?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.