Active Topics

I'm stuck with Maemo and the N900. It's the only product out there that fits my needs. Of course my needs change depending on my situation. When I'm no longer doing my studies I doubt I'll need equipment like what the N900 provides. But at the same time I'm still limited by what hardware companies put out. I have no love for Nokia, in fact I've been irritated at them ever since their "silence is golden" tactic when it came to the N900's launch at the end of last year. Remember that delay headache? And I still haven't gotten that $50 rebate from them. Though I do like what Maemo and Meego provide and I happy support Maemo and Meego, just not the company Nokia behind it. It astounds me how a company like Nokia came up with Maemo. And Nokia wasted the opportunity by continuing giving love to their other child Symbian.

The only reason why I get annoyed at all the complaining on here is I still see this as InternetTabletTalk. A site for enthusiasts of the Maemo platform and Internet Tablets. I'm all for complaining about Nokia, but I just don't think this is the right medium for it. The only thing I've found it do is make noise that clogs up the website.

My only hope is that other companies jump onto the Meego platform and show Nokia how to do things right. If not then I won't be buying any more Maemo/Meego devices in the future if Nokia is the only company making them. Though I have a feeling that if they are, it won't last very long versus Android.

I guess returning to "dumbphones" is an option but I've grown to like having access to the Internet everywhere. (my how things change).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
the only way aple is ever going to listen is if hardly no one buys the iphones but we all know thats never gonna happen because all the apple fanboys kiss apples *** regardless of flaws

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by darkjoker View Post
the only way aple is ever going to listen is if hardly no one buys the iphones but we all know thats never gonna happen because all the apple fanboys kiss apples *** regardless of flaws
You could replace "Apple" and "iPhone" with most any other manufacturer and product, you know that right?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i have all nseries flagships released in last 3 1/2 years not one of them i can get to lose bars no matter how i hold it
gerbick and danramos are in every apple thread defending them and turning tide on nokia
you can find them pounce with negatives in any nokia thread too its best to just put them on ignore if you can't put up with there trollish behaviour anymore like i just did

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-07-17 at 02:07.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Erm. I sorta went at both Apple and Nokia.

Here... lemme do it again. I don't like either one of them right now.

Apple is full of crap. Nokia is too.

And that whole N-series line... N97 Mini had an antenna problem - here's one thread of many complaints. I can only testify how the N810 had problems.

Regardless, you dislike it when I talk about both Apple and Nokia, only care to see my disdain towards Nokia and not Apple... you'll be just ok. At least I can see both sides of the problem and not choose just one side to pay attention to and/or have experience to talk about.

And feel free to place me on ignore. It doesn't bother me one bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Originally Posted by Benson
Besides, it's not like you can put it (bridge) somewhere else inside the phone and not be guaranteed to block the signal
(actually you can, continue reading)
Umm... no. I wasn't talking about putting the "bridge" somewhere, I was talking about putting the antenna somewhere -- note that I was replying to a post about typical mobiles with the antenna on the bottom end of the phone, not about the iPhone's distinctive (and apparently rather misunderstood) antenna system. Of course, the iPhone's antenna is practically the whole size of the phone, so there's really not much "put[ting] it somewhere else" you can do; basically just rotating the two antennas around the periphery of the phone.

5) Go with the iPhone 4 design but place the bridge on the top left (or right for left handers) corner
Design= High performance, High radiation, High aesthetics
Yes, but as long as you hold it at your head, your head is blocking the signal to a varying extent through most of a hemisphere. This holds true to any antenna design; ones lower on the phone will suffer less head-blockage (and more hand-blockage), but it's still an effect for all phones held at one's head, regardless of where you place the antennas or where any "bridges" may be.
I'm not sure you're as fully aware of the iPhone 4's antenna system as you might think; note that the metal band in the housing is two antennas of dissimilar lengths (shorter for 2.4GHz, longer for 2.1-0.85), and there's already a gap in the top (which it seems nobody shorts in practice, even though you cited this location as a liability in landscape) as well as the one on the side causing all the trouble.

The fact that you keep talking about the "bridge" is also wierd -- the iPhone doesn't use a slot antenna, if that's what you're thinking of; AUI it's just two monopoles, each relying on the rest of the phone (including the other antenna, since they're not on the same frequency) as a ground plane or counterpoise. So the "bridge" is only relevant in itself if it's actually being shorted (or bridged); it's not a meaningful feature in normal use. The entire side and bottom of the phone (or, more nearly, the entire phone, functioning as a poor dipole) radiates the signal.

Flipping the entire antenna design vertically would get the side gap where you want it, but the other one would now be on the bottom, where it's IMO more likely to be shorted by an errant finger. And of course, you'll also change the radiation pattern somewhat, although I'm not sure it would be enough to matter, or even whether it would be a beneficial or detrimental change.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the iPhone 4 antenna is better than most other antennas in phones that size, when used in free space (or, possibly, next to the head, with no hands nearby, since they probably optimized it for that); the ability to effectively short it with a misplaced finger is the only issue, but it happens that's a pretty big one, and hard to get rid of without growing the phone or shrinking the antenna to get a little more spacing

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
We need to go back to the days of manually extending the external antenna. One of the many things lost in the cosmetic revolution..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Anyway, Nokia poking fun at Apple is pretty silly anyway.

Nokia needs to sell like 150 million phones just to make like 1 billion in revenue. Apple sells like 20 mil and makes like 2 billion.

Nokia has about 12 billion cash reserves, Apple has what like 50 billion.

Steve Jobs by himself could BUY Nokia.

So Nokia needs to stfu and "prioritize" some better strategy for staying a viable company. You can only survive on the vapors from the fanboy farts for so long...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by techngro View Post
So Nokia needs to stfu and "prioritize" some better strategy for staying a viable company. You can only survive on the vapors from the fanboy farts for so long...

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Anyway, haven't there always been ways I'm not supposed to hold the N900 because the GPS or something is there? I've been trying to avoid holding it wrong since I got it, before this controversy even started.

Tags
nokia cares