http://www.intomobile.com/2010/11/18...ooking-so-hot/

Nokia's debt rating has been downgraded by Fitch. Never heard of Fitch before so not sure how adverse this is to Nokia's general standing. The ratings agencies I am familiar with and I believe the most significant are Moody's and Standard and Poors.

However, it does show that things at Nokia are not all nice are rosey despite the huge sales but I think we guessed that from the management changes.

The linked article seems unduely negative though. I think Nokia will be fine even if its Nokia device is a commercial failure. Just that it would probably never be the big dog again in the high end sector which is where the big profit is.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
so some unknown rating agency has downgraded nokias credit rating.

where's the catch?

and things definetly aren't rosy with nokia, one could easily see it from financial figures also.... so still:

where's the catch?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Nothing really serious here. This rating agencies where the same who didn't see the crisis come. Well done!

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Maybe this article got them thinking:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ch_LEFTTopNews
Har har

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Who knows what the real sitsuation after all is. In near future we all will be much wiser. For example:
http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/11/0...panys-history/

I will just wait and see what kind of selling they get from N8 (probably q4 results in january). After that I might have to buy some tar and feater and start finding some bloggers.

I´m thinking that it would be good to have some kind of rating table for news/blog websites where people could vote and collect the most biggest failures in analyzing markets. Some kind of modern pillory.

And Bundyo, once again brilliant article/blog. Meego Nokia alone. Hmmm...someone has missed shait load of information or didn't do homework.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Usually Nokia make great hardware (my parter's xpress 5800 seems to be indestructible).

My N900 feels very solid and has been dropped or knocked a few times and seems compeletely undamaged - even the usb port is still solid (we won't mention other n900s with detachable usb ports).

Unfortunately Nokia's software strategy is a shambles.

Maemo is now a stable platform and was ripe for further development but unfortunately was not "cool enough" so Nokia decided to discontinue it and started Meego instead.

The n900 was the perfect starting point to start a new line of smartphones and let's face it people have done some very clever things with it.

Nokia could have easily released a new model this year - e.g. a multi-touch keyboardless model.

The n900 and maemo platform could have been a very slick line of devices and Nokia would have the ability to challange Apple, Google and Microsoft.

If Nokia did things properly more Developers would have stood by maemo and a larger mainstream app catalogue for everyone to play with - if Nokia took maemo mainstream - but they did'nt.

Nobody is going to wait too long for Meego - the market is passing Nokia by. Meego is Nokia's last chance to put things right and even then maybe too late.

As it stands Nokia will soon become just another budget handset maker.

Meego has the potential to offer something really special in the smartphone market - real innovation - e.g. proper multitasking and an open platform where anyone can write their own apps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Fitch is not an unknown rating agency. It is one of the big 3, along with Moody's and S&P. Typically when one downgrades, the other two start looking more closely at the company as well and in many cases end up downgrading the credit rating. So it is a reasonably big deal for Nokia as it just means that their costs have just increased, which is especially going to hurt given the low margin business model Nokia seems to be running. Makes it even more important for them to get their top end phone strategy right.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbitrabbit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Ignacius View Post
Nothing really serious here. This rating agencies where the same who didn't see the crisis come. Well done!
Did any ratings agency see the financial crisis coming (ie downgraded company and financial institutions well before the crisis hit?)

Someone should start a ratings agency rating agency.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Usually Nokia make great hardware (my parter's xpress 5800 seems to be indestructible).

My N900 feels very solid and has been dropped or knocked a few times and seems compeletely undamaged - even the usb port is still solid (we won't mention other n900s with detachable usb ports).

Unfortunately Nokia's software strategy is a shambles.

Maemo is now a stable platform and was ripe for further development but unfortunately was not "cool enough" so Nokia decided to discontinue it and started Meego instead.

The n900 was the perfect starting point to start a new line of smartphones and let's face it people have done some very clever things with it.

Nokia could have easily released a new model this year - e.g. a multi-touch keyboardless model.

The n900 and maemo platform could have been a very slick line of devices and Nokia would have the ability to challange Apple, Google and Microsoft.

If Nokia did things properly more Developers would have stood by maemo and a larger mainstream app catalogue for everyone to play with - if Nokia took maemo mainstream - but they did'nt.

Nobody is going to wait too long for Meego - the market is passing Nokia by. Meego is Nokia's last chance to put things right and even then maybe too late.

As it stands Nokia will soon become just another budget handset maker.

Meego has the potential to offer something really special in the smartphone market - real innovation - e.g. proper multitasking and an open platform where anyone can write their own apps.
Quite a lot of sense in your post. But as a decade long Nokia fan I hope you are wrong, though current signs point much more towards you being right than wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Did any ratings agency see the financial crisis coming (ie downgraded company and financial institutions well before the crisis hit?)

Someone should start a ratings agency rating agency.
Probably not but that does not automatically mean they all fail for doing so. They may not score 10 out of 10 for predicting the future but if you are downgraded then there must be a good present reason for it. Of course Meego could become as huge as Android and Nokia's rating goes up to A+ and I am sure we all hope that but fact is current and past trends do not point in that direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:

Tags
fudtastic, more fud, we're doomed!