Active Topics

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sela View Post
Nokia is a completely different story. As long as Nokia invests in developing and promoting Meego, they cannot "diversify". Selling win7 phones means selling less Meegos, which means - sabotaging their Meego effort.
If some Nokia employees wanted to use WP7 (or Android), it would make much more sense to make a spin-off company with some hardware designers and software integrators, and retain Nokia brand for, well, Nokia stuff.

Compared to Android, WP7 would likely be a more lucrative short term endeavour - MS would pay a nice bribe to get their platform deployed, and WP7 is probably technically better than Android (this is speculation on my part - but why would it make sense to release something technically worse, when MS has all the money in the world?).

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

I think Windows Phone 7 is so different from Symbian or Maemo that switching to that OS will be a big financial gamble.
Will satisfied Maemo or Symbian users buy a Windows Phone Nokia in the future? I think that a lot of them will not, hence a big gamble.
Producing phones based on WP7 in addition to Symbian (and possibly MeeGo/Maemo) is much more likely option.
WP7 is different enough and the microsoft brand might provide Nokia a way to grow in the US martket.

seems like eldar finally found a contact to find real stuff to smoke.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Frankly, Nokia does superb hardware but poor, poor software. I think them looking for an OS that delivers is the way to go, if not for main feed at least as a backup. And I know WM isn't exactly gold now, but MS is big and committed and if a partnership is reached WM could be tuned to the hardware pretty well.

If anything, Nokia needs to establish a relationship with an OS that is young and malleable and backed by a large company. Intel's solution isn't a bad choice, but it may or may not work well. Having a backup is far from bad from any standpoint.

And frankly, WM might kinda suck now but it's too young to call and, if history has taught us anything (by us I mean Windows developers) is that MS work is well documented, with examples and a huge user base.

I know I'm preaching to a select OSS crowd but it's not so bad, really, from developer and user standpoint. Not too good if you look to admin a Linux machine, though. On the good side, actual navigation.

Oh, and, they aren't doing damage to MeeGo. People who make the distinction from Linux to Windows will have a choice and those who don't would have bought anyway. They'll see how it goes and favor the winner. It's bad business to put all your eggs in one OS.

I, for one, welcome out new MS overlords.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I cannot see this in a thousand years.

This is Eldar pulling the chain of all the blinkered American "tech" blogs who cannot understand, see, or believe in anything that did not originate in the USA. Therefore, the concept of dumping a OS such as Android or WP7 on nokia hardware gets those blogs creaming with excitement, because they do not understand Nokia's ideas.

Apart from anything else Nokia has been investing heavily in services over the last few years, such as Ovi music, Maps, etc. The future profits lies in those services, and not hardware or OS, as they are both becoming commoditised as the PC market has done.

Just look at the range and variations within the Symbian phones to see what I mean. Nokia can churn them out cheap and with countless small variations. That is a massive plus as it enables Nokia to tailor phones for every corner of the world. With the services and OS, Nokia is taking on Google/Microsoft, and HTC with the hardware. Nokia are playing a long game.

Quite aside from the fact that symbian3 has just been launched on phones in the last few months, and Meego is just around the corner in 2011. I think 2011 will be a milestone year for Nokia if they get it right, which I think they will.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
...why would it make sense (for M$) to release something technically worse, (than Android) when MS has all the money in the world?).
Make sense? Techically better - or worse? These are not M$ priorities. Can you say Windows Millenium Edition? Vista? Clippy? Why Monkey Boy Ballmer is still running the show?

M$ isn't about making sense or great products - such concepts only get in the way of maximizing corporate value and getting large bonuses. It's about making $$$. If something makes more $$$ then it IS technically better in the M$ kinda way.

I feel the urge to skip around, sweat profusely and chant 'Developers, devlelopers, developers...'
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
I cannot see this in a thousand years.

This is Eldar pulling the chain of all the blinkered American "tech" blogs who cannot understand, see, or believe in anything that did not originate in the USA. Therefore, the concept of dumping a OS such as Android or WP7 on nokia hardware gets those blogs creaming with excitement, because they do not understand Nokia's ideas.

Apart from anything else Nokia has been investing heavily in services over the last few years, such as Ovi music, Maps, etc. The future profits lies in those services, and not hardware or OS, as they are both becoming commoditised as the PC market has done.

Just look at the range and variations within the Symbian phones to see what I mean. Nokia can churn them out cheap and with countless small variations. That is a massive plus as it enables Nokia to tailor phones for every corner of the world. With the services and OS, Nokia is taking on Google/Microsoft, and HTC with the hardware. Nokia are playing a long game.

Quite aside from the fact that symbian3 has just been launched on phones in the last few months, and Meego is just around the corner in 2011. I think 2011 will be a milestone year for Nokia if they get it right, which I think they will.
I wish I could hack <insert your "favorite" US blog here> and write this all over it. Again and again.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
eldar hasn't been in the headlines recently? well, this is one way to handle such issue especially when there are problems getting unreleased models from nokia for review.
exactly.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
seems like eldar finally found a contact to find real stuff to smoke.
more plausible than Nokia adopting WP7

Niklas Savander himself said in an interview that Nokia won't adopt neither Andoid nor WP7

Is there room for a fourth mobile operating system after Symbian S60, Series 40 and MeeGo?
Like should we take on Android for example? No, is the short answer, not with the current product goal we have. There are two reasons. One is the incremental effort it would take and the benefit we would gain from it. So, no, there is no room for a fourth platform.

The longer answer is related to our very strong belief that we need to be more than just an electronics manufacturer. So we need to be confident that we can add a significant amount of value on top of whatever platform we choose. Currently, we don't think the platforms out there which we are not using--Android and Microsoft--offers an incremental opportunity for us to add value that would sustain a competitive advantage over somebody else. So, no plans.
Source: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/mobilep...2204005,00.htm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I know WM isn't exactly gold now, but MS is big and committed and if a partnership is reached WM could be tuned to the hardware pretty well.
Which is kind of trivial, considering using WP7 lets MS dictate your hardware.

If anything, Nokia needs to establish a relationship with an OS that is young and malleable and backed by a large company. Intel's solution isn't a bad choice, but it may or may not work well. Having a backup is far from bad from any standpoint.
It's bad if the end result is surrendering your brand to someone else. This is a problem with Android too.

And frankly, WM might kinda suck now but it's too young to call and, if history has taught us anything (by us I mean Windows developers) is that MS work is well documented, with examples and a huge user base.
Which is great, I suppose, if you're only looking at it from the proprietary software perspective, or the disinterested consumer. I don't see how any of that matters here in a forum frequented by people who are interested in open source and mobile OSes that don't restrict what you can do.

I know I'm preaching to a select OSS crowd but it's not so bad, really, from developer and user standpoint. Not too good if you look to admin a Linux machine, though.
Why would you preach the "benefits" of what essentially iOS with a Microsoft face to a bunch of people who came here because of what Maemo is and is not relative to that OS?

On the good side, actual navigation.
Done on the N900. Nothing to do with the OS.

Oh, and, they aren't doing damage to MeeGo. People who make the distinction from Linux to Windows will have a choice and those who don't would have bought anyway. They'll see how it goes and favor the winner. It's bad business to put all your eggs in one OS.
Nah, going with any other OS would so totally undermine MeeGo it isn't funny. People will default to the "Microsoft Windows Phone 7 powered by Nokia" device instead of the MeeGo device.

I, for one, welcome out new MS overlords.
After seeing the past 14 years and what MS has done, no thanks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
The problem with this nauseatingly bad rumor is that it makes perfect sense
in the context of bad business management reactions
as a response to less than stellar financial returns.
And even if it goes nowhere it reeks of a kernel of truth.

As a general rule (there are slashdot discussions on this)
business management almost always ends up in the hands of people
who by the very virtue of their profit-oriented acumen know very little about
what it is the business actually does.
Managers (particularly at American companies - I know) are generally chosen
for their sheer ignorance of the nuts&bolts in order to avoid
falling prey to 'inventor management' syndrome and its pitfalls.
These are two the two extremes of business management:
knowing zero about the product or knowing too much
(and consequently being infatuated by hardware and blind to economic realities).

Nokia management has probably decided they were too close
to the ground and are buying into the American ideal
of more 'management by ignorance' and less management by innovation.

We see evidence of this in their lack of resolve to stick to the business model.
Bad management is always accompanied by fundamental flip-flops
as evidenced by the recent changes at Nokia.
Abandon Symbian - oh wait, maybe not!
Abandon Maemo - it is maturing too well and is attracting hackers
Abandon hacker-ridden Meego and take up Micro$oft
Wait a moment - maybe we should reconsider Android now?

I have seen too many companies fail in my industry
and the symptoms are all too familiar.
First comes a bit of economic turbulence,
then comes some management tumbling gyros
then they seem to get it all together but the core competence is gone:
They sell off the technical cream in favor of better basic profits.
After that moment all that is left are the vultures who,
in another lifetime, would ordinarily be selling used vehicles
on a vacant lot somewhere on the rough side of town.

Being profit-driven is not a problem as long as you stick to your
technical business principles with a steady resolve.
When you discard your technical excellence in favor of
crude profit then all is eventually lost.
Not this moment today, not even this quarter but very quickly the
threads that hold a company together begin to unravel.

Someone please turn out the lights when you leave Nokialand...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Tags
armageddon, circle jerk, going down, horoscope, internet eldars, mental jerk off, nokia of borg, phone different, rumors, unfounded