Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Inception will become less needed once (if) there's a more seamless open-mode.
Inception relies on exploits, I doubt it'll be what's mostly targeted by the community LT.
Unless another way is found.....
Hypothetically yes, but a more seamless open mode isn't going to happen with Nokia. If anything, PR1.2 is even more closed than PR1.1.

What would be great is if Nokia donates Harmattan as open source to the community before it expires in its WP7 grave.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Hypothetically yes, but a more seamless open mode isn't going to happen with Nokia.
Well, of course not, why should it, I assume you understand completely what open-mode is.

If anything, PR1.2 is even more closed than PR1.1.
I've seen issues with the dev side of things, but they're assigned in the tracker so they're not regressions yet.
What are you referring to? I've certainly seen nothing else to indicate it's become "more closed".

What would be great is if Nokia donates Harmattan as open source to the community before it expires in its WP7 grave.
Never going to happen. They'll be re-using much of it in Meltemi...
It we're lucky we may convince them to open some areas, but large chunks won't be, nor should they.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-12 at 11:01. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Never going to happen. They'll be re-using much of it in Meltemi...
It we're lucky we may convince them to open some areas, but large chunks won't be, nor should they.
Can Nokia survive until Meltemi comes out? I seriously doubt it.

In my crystal ball I see Nokia broken up and its smartphone division sold to Microsoft. Before that happens some good people in Nokia realizing that MS will kill MeeGo/Meltimi immediately donates Harmattan to the open source community.