Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I do not want to take part in that game
I have just one question.

And even my question may sound harsh, but it is just a question:
I would like to ask Jim if he reviewed the bylaws and can give some input to this thread after 4 weeks?
Or even more interesting, if he still is interested to help the Maemo/Harmattan/HiFo community?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
But near as I can tell, you're playing word games with the term "appoint". Your argument depends on the supposition that the word "appoint" in this context means "pick a person that is wanted (and tell them about it I hope)". But you know very well that a bulk of the time, people don't take the word "appoint" to mean that, and more importantly, when they do, the context clearly indicates that. Usually, the expected meaning of "appoint" is "(previous meaning), and that person accepted".

It's a flaw of the English language, in other words, that lets you make this argument (that "appoint" can mean both "picked for a position" and "picked for a position and actually got into that position (either by accepting it, or clearing other prerequisites)"), not a clear case that that is the appropriate interpretation.
On March 5, you yourself said that Woody and Jim had been "appointed" and now you say it was something else. The problem here isn't the English language or word games (at least by me). Here's a definition of the word. Do you have any contrary definition that you can point to instead of just arguing?

By the way, I've asked you before to show support for some of your allegations, and you haven't yet. Please do so. Of course, there have been so many incorrect allegations phrased in different ways that I can't address them all, but please do address at least the ones I addressed in this post.

There also seems to be an incorrect perception that Jim didn't indicate his willingness to accept the position within 7 days. But he did. I don't know what is meant by clear "other prerequisites".

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
And even my question may sound harsh, but it is just a question:
I would like to ask Jim if he reviewed the bylaws and can give some input to this thread after 4 weeks?
Jim did review the bylaws. Here is his email:

"
>> Looking over the bylaws, I'm unclear if the foundation is actually,
>> legally, incorporated, and whether there are plans to go for 501(c)3
>> status (for this type of org, a 501(c)3 is a better match than a
>> 501(c)6)...
>>
>> Anyway, I'll be back over the weekend so let's try to connect
>> early next week. I know and understand the time crunch, but
>> at present I see no reason why, if asked, I wouldn't like
>> to join and help "

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Or even more interesting, if he still is interested to help the Maemo/Harmattan/HiFo community?
As to the very negative sentiments made earlier in this thread, he did after that respond to an email about scheduling a Foundation Board meeting (for what that is worth). I don't know if he is still interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
I thought I could contribute something after being admin at Symbian Freak for four years but I have realized that it is all about empty words and politics. It's just a lot of talk and no action, it's a shame because I think it will mean that the TMO will go to the grave.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by setter View Post
I thought I could contribute something after being admin at Symbian Freak for four years but I have realized that it is all about empty words and politics. It's just a lot of talk and no action, it's a shame because I think it will mean that the TMO will go to the grave.
and time goes by, and by, and by...
While we're all waiting for HiFo to move and finally get stuff DONE, like
approving xes for co-sysop (pending since err, months),
signing contract with Nokia so we finally get control over DNS domain (pending since almost half a year),
signing contract with IPHH (it's been HiFo/Rob who was very nervous to push _us_ to provide such contract which we did despite you never told us what exactly you need, now it's pending since weeks to get signed by HiFo and HiFo puts the agreement with IPHH on peril once more - the contract says it needs to get signed and fees paid max 4 weeks after server moved to IPHH.
We're further waiting for Nokia delivering the "upgrade" hardware that HiFo claimed on their list of fame that they had negotiated with them for our server, while HiFo sits on (last I heard) >4000$ (not drummed up by HiFo exactly) but isn't willing to consider providing the hw upgrades needed.
We're waiting for any clear statement about HiFo's notion regarding community's request to have a re-election. And finally HiFo ignoring council's announcement of such re-election of both bodies a week ago.

You (Rob, HiFo BoD) are seriously complaining about the public image that HiFo creates and the reactions and comments by community that ensue thereof?
HiFo never been an end in itself, it been established for a certain purpose which was NOT to discuss about words and meanings while insisting in HiFo's control of everything and same time watching maemo go down from paralysis introduced by aforementioned behaviour of BoD and the general procrastination of same entity. I'm honestly exasperated by the fact that HiFo/SD69/Rob finds time for nonsensical discussions (which btw I don't know if it's any better when council chair contributes to them) while same time it's obviously impossible for them to find a single date for a single meeting during weeks, to finally get some sh*t done. Or is it simply SD69's last option to block a re-election by making any BoD meeting not happening (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...68#post1329068)
Rob, you said you're concerned about a situation where - if HiFo was declared flawed by any failure to obey legal obligations - this could void all legal agreements that HiFo signed during being in that flawed state. While I sympathise with the general concern, nevertheless please help me out on which were those legal agreements that HiFo signed so far - it seems I missed them all, could you please list them for us to get this straight?

jOERG
(maemo community and hildon foundation council member)

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-14 at 11:30.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Bla bla bla...

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Bla bla bla...
You, sir are exactly not helpful at all, and you're causing the things you moan about.
I'd call this trolling, which takes me as quite funny since:
So you are among those who stand by and do nothing but just expect that everything will work out anyway?
and
Okey stenny, then I will put you on the red list

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
SD69: what is wrong with you man?!? You feel you're losing control over your property or what? Dammit, its all about the community over here, not about your lawyers way of thinking. Come on, if you can't contribute... well, just withdraw yourself. Or do what you're expected to do - do your best to help that very same community last. Honestly, I can't believe you're playing that game .

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
joerg_rw,
I am sorry for my last comment, it was rude and silly.
It's just so frustrating trying to keep up with your discussions when so many posts are so long that they cover the entire screen. I have tried to read between the lines and try to understand what you are really trying to say in the last month but I've given up.

Nice and flattering nonetheless that you actually read my comments I have written, and also took the time to look them up and copy them here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to setter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Is anyone else developing a feeling of help- and hope-lessness about our community and it's governence, a.k.a the future?

I have no solutions.... and not the time to follow slavishly the ins and outs of HIFO/maemo politics. Please ALL remember that the vast majority of n900 users proilly don't frequent these virtual halls but nonetheless use the repos that are contingent upon the success of this enterprise; and the large number that do visit here spend time posting about problems and solutions. They are the constituency that will suffer if this all unravels, oblivious though some/many/most maybe to the squabbles paraded here.

I judge none of you, really, as I lack the knowledge (and ever more quickly the inclination to know). So this is a plea: find that higher space in your characters to consolidate the considerable gains you have made (kudos to all!) towards a self-governing and sustainable community.

This refers: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89560

Last edited by handaxe; 2013-04-14 at 20:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:

Tags
comic, marixian, no more popcorn