Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Hi. Complete tangent.

I was asked by an email to come here and find out more about the vote.

I haven't been an active member of this community in 3ish years. Heck, I wasn't really active for a year or so before that, but I've been just about completely non-active for those 3 years.

Why am I still being asked to vote? I have my reasons for not deleting my account, but it's a bit annoying to get asked every so often "hey, come vote for this project that you aren't involved in anymore, and that might actually be a conflict of interest for you to be voting about*".

(* 3 years ago I changed jobs to work at Apple)

Did I miss an option in my account that says "don't bug me about voting"? If so, please let me know about it.

If not, if no such option exists -- please make one. Yesterday.
I'm REALLYˇ sorry we've pestered you, but you keeping your account inevitably ensued this. Also sorry to say I'm not interested in your rationale to keep it or why you don't want an email once every 6 months, it's just the way things get handled here, take it or leave it. You're free to close your account any time, and hey we even allow you to create a new one, just in case you're interested. Again sorry to inform you that we don't plan to create such an option you asked for.

BR
jOERG

ps: Many thanks anyway for informing us about the fact that mailing of tokens for vote actually seems to work. since I only now realized that benefit of your rant, I'll offer you a special service: send an inquiry to techstaff@maemo.org from the email account you got that token mail, and I'll try to find a way to remove your karma so odds are you won't ever again get vote emails.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-21 at 02:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Thus, a referendum is called with the following question:

In order to repair special cases in MCC rules, and bring them into alignment with HFC rules, the following: (MCC Rule List*) Shall become (HFC Rule List*), and the Maemo Community Council will from now on be transformed into Hildon Foundation Council. Yes or No?
That's a bad referendum. These are two distinct questions that people should be able to vote for/against independently of each other.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's a bad referendum. These are two distinct questions that people should be able to vote for/against independently of each other.
No, not at all. It's extreme nonsense to change the rules so they are in line with what's needed to unify MCC and HFC, when we don't want to unify MCC and HFC. OTOH we CANNOT unify the both entities when the rules aren't in line for that. See my post at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...47#post1337647

cheers
jOERG

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-21 at 11:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Broadway, UK
Silly question ... how do we close old accounts?
I've just spent 20 minutes trying to find something but all I can do is edit things.

If there was any real point in voting it would be that Nokia should carry on supporting people who have paid them lots of money over the years and simply don't want the CRAP they are currently peddling? SO I would vote NO and force Nokia to accept they still have a responsibility for product they have sold! I'm still using my N900 phone which is currently doing it's job, and I've bought a spare just in case but if Vodafone stop supporting handling traffic from it I'm stuffed anyway. So I am probably going to have to switch to an piece of Android crap instead

So lets get behind a single standard that is independent of the likes of M$ or G+ ... something which will not happen because the phone manufacturers will never produce a flat platform to program for ...

The Following User Says Thank You to lsces For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lsces View Post
Silly question ... how do we close old accounts?
I've just spent 20 minutes trying to find something but all I can do is edit things.

If there was any real point in voting it would be that Nokia should carry on supporting people who have paid them lots of money over the years and simply don't want the CRAP they are currently peddling? SO I would vote NO and force Nokia to accept they still have a responsibility for product they have sold! I'm still using my N900 phone which is currently doing it's job, and I've bought a spare just in case but if Vodafone stop supporting handling traffic from it I'm stuffed anyway. So I am probably going to have to switch to an piece of Android crap instead

So lets get behind a single standard that is independent of the likes of M$ or G+ ... something which will not happen because the phone manufacturers will never produce a flat platform to program for ...
You CANNOT force Nokia into anything by voting on this referendum.
To put it straight once more: this referendum is about "Yes, I appreciate what council does and want a future for maemo vs No, I think you should better stop what you're doing, I want maemo to vanish. It's NOT a poll to decide A or B alternatives, it's to get community's approval for fixing broken stuff and NOT about whether we like or don't like that it's broken and we need to do these changes. If you like to be a partypooper who ruins it for everybody then vote no on this referendum (and don't forget to brag about it publicly here). If you have *any* other objections why you wouldn't feel like voting "YES, please fix it" - come up with them here so we can address your concerns and act accordingly
see Woody's post

And vodafone will never stop supporting traffic to N900, what they might do is switch the bands they operate services on, so old phones that don't support new bands might get obsolete. I suggest you switch operator when that happens (unlikely for any location on earth except USA)
Please see http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU for support of N900. Also see the many threads here in tmo related to cssu-testing and cssu-stable, and yes even cssu-thumb - awesome things happening there, driven by THE COMMUNITY :-)

I will look into the close-my-account issue. Are you talking about tmo account, garage account, or even both? Please open a new thread for it, it's off topic here.

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-21 at 13:09.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
The part whether "Maemo Community Council will from now on be transformed into Hildon Foundation Council" should probably be deleted since it was decided on Friday that both councils will continue to exist for the time being.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89843

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The part whether "Maemo Community Council will from now on be transformed into Hildon Foundation Council" should probably be deleted since it was decided on Friday that both councils will continue to exist for the time being.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89843
yes, I agree on editing this post. The whole post is poorly worded and doesn't precisely reflect what this is all about. Woody's post I linked in my last post above is way better. Since deleting the subphrase from the referendum question doesn't introduce any new aspects, I also don't see any problem with doing that.

On a personal sidenote: I never was happy with that particular phrase anyway, since aiui MCC will not get transformed into anything new, rather it stays what it ever been and would just eventually and possibly accept additional responsibility and role. Also "it's main function is to communicate with Nokia" is not, and never been, exactly to the point. Communication with Nokia is just one of MCC's responsibilities (now kinda obsolete though still applicable if needed), and not even major one. MCC's main function clearly is - and always will be - "proxy of community", whatever that involves.
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-21 at 16:17.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by lsces View Post
If there was any real point in voting it would be that Nokia should carry on supporting people who have paid them lots of money over the years and simply don't want the CRAP they are currently peddling? SO I would vote NO and force Nokia to accept they still have a responsibility for product they have sold!
Even if Joerg already answered in epic way, I need to repeat that:
Nokia already abandonded Maemo. They also stopped supporting N900 hardware support long time ago (E7, N8)!
THIS referundum needs to be answered by YES and is just to keep TMO, maemo.org, ... alive by means of community!
No chance to get Nokia into their "responsibility". To make it absolutely clear: Nokia is out, Maemo is not part of their product folio anymore.

I hope you (and possibly other blockheads out there -sorry, may be moderated and is not meant as offence, just related to your post and posts/thanks amount) got it. Please inform yourself before spreading FUD.

Sorry for OT.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Referendum Voting Open!
ballot/token mails all sent, if you're missing your token mail, please
check your garage account for correct email addr (editing that email addr will not propagate to voting database automatically, you need to send a mail to council to let us know!)
check your email account (set in garage) for mail, particularly spam folder- We missed to set proper date in that mail, so it may show up as "date: unknown" and appears at a location in sorting collation you wouldn't expect it.
check if you are supposed to have gotten a token mail (accounts younger than 3 months need to apply via mail to council, same for those users with too small karma)
check if you can trigger resending of token mail on voting page http://maemo.org/vote/vote.php?election_id=30 "get token" (this will re-send a mail to your mail addr in garage as it been at time of token creation)

if all that fails and you think you're entitled for voting (you usually are), please send a mail to council@maemo.org, subject "election token mail missing", preferrably from your mail account that also is in your garage settings, and add your garage account ID. We will try to sort it out for you. Allow for 2 days processing time.

Please use your right to vote on maemo future

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-24 at 18:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Token received and voted.

Negotiations with Nokia - done. Setting up new infra: done. Whole migration: done. Stable repos online: done. Constant maemo development: all the fcuking time!

Looking at all this work done and putting all those fights and bickering aside, I think it`s not much to ask: please do Your part and vote too.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to artpra For This Useful Post:

Tags
voting