Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
jalyst, we will benefit from more candidates either way. So if you have someone in mind pester him via mail, pm, pigeon, message-in-bottle and smoke signals, you have about 15h to force him to accept
Yes, but the idea is to leverage the maemo infra in order to send out a much larger smoke signal
That's assuming the balance of nominees -as its stands- it too skewed one way or the other.

btw, why don't you run?
I doubt very much I have the right skill-set, & even if I did I doubt I'd be terribly effectual, as I just wouldn't put enough time into it.
Plus I wouldn't ever nominate, unless I was "absolutely sure" I could be effectual...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I had brought this topic up at the beginning of the current Council's term
At that time I was told that moderators who are also members of Council/BoD won't be moderating threads related to Council/BoD during their term.
If required, I personally have no issues with giving up my moderator rights if elected to Council for the term I serve in Council
Glad to hear you say that, personally, I think that's the most righteous thing to do...
But as someone suggested & as a compromise, perhaps only remove mod rights to the community sub-forum (I dont know how well that would work in practice, I have my doubts)
Even better than that, would be to find someone else to step into your moderator role.
You've got heaps of time between now & when the results are in to do that, & it wouldn't matter if that search was still going whist you are in Council, so long as it didn't drag on.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-04-23 at 07:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So it's possible to be admin/mod an be in hildon and council at the same time? If so I will withdraw all my votes which is exactly one since it's against what I believe in.

May the votes be with you and let the best man win.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I don't think we can mass pm on tmo, and even if we could I don't think waking up the thousands of inactive members here would benefit the community in any way. We've already been accused for spamming by sending out ballots. Elections have agood visibility on tmo, community ML and irc so the only thing left is personal pestering of possible candidates.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Maybe a small banner on homepage would be good? If there are 2 maybe 3 can fit also?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Yeah, perhaps only send the notice via the same mechanism used to send the ballots (which incidentally I never got).
But I'm talking only in the instance where the balance is quite heavily skewed one way or the other...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
So it's possible to be admin/mod an be in hildon and council at the same time? If so I will withdraw all my votes which is exactly one since it's against what I believe in.
I don't think we should have a "hard & fast" rule that if you're mod or super mod you can't participate, but I do think we should strive to have most such mods hand over their privileges for the term of their office*. Unless said privileges would be genuinely needed by those in office to carry out their duties "effectively". I think there should always be at least one or two top-tier mods who keep their status regardless of whether they're serving or not, just as a insurance mechanism against any new mods who end-up causing mayhem rather than harmony.

*Will that mean they get those privileges back again once done, & those that took their place also keep theirs?
Not sure. I guess having more & more mods over time can't be a BAD thing, can it?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-04-23 at 07:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yes, but the idea is to leverage the maemo infra in order to send out a much larger smoke signal
That's assuming the balance of nominees -as its stands- it too skewed one way or the other.

I doubt very much I have the right skill-set, & even if I did I doubt I'd be terribly effectual, as I just wouldn't put enough time into it.
Plus I wouldn't ever nominate, unless I was "absolutely sure" I could be effectual...

Glad to hear you say that, personally, I think that's the most righteous thing to do...
But as someone suggested & as a compromise, perhaps only remove mod rights to the community sub-forum (I dont know how well that would work in practice, I have my doubts)
Even better than that, would be to find someone else to step into your moderator role.
You've got heaps of time between now & when the results are in to do that, & it wouldn't matter if that search was still going whist you are in Council, so long as it didn't drag on.
If thedead1440 gets elected he should be able to keep moderator rights as well. There is no one more reasonable or fair or supportive of the maemo community than he is from what I have seen.

This is all from my personal experience and business dealings with him.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
If thedead1440 gets elected he should be able to keep moderator rights as well.
There is no one more reasonable or fair or supportive of the maemo community than he is from what I have seen.
This is all from my personal experience and business dealings with him.
What you may or may not think of an individual's character is not the point here...
Anyway, yet to hear from Woody et al to confirm whether it is in fact more practical to keep such rights while in office, that may be the case.
Or as already suggested, the other option is some kind of watered down privileges i.e. no rights for Community sub (although not sure how well that'd work in practice).

So feedback to some of my earlier posts? (not so much the ones about mod privileges) It's been at least 13hrs now IIRC.

Night.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-04-23 at 18:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
If thedead1440 gets elected he should be able to keep moderator rights as well. There is no one more reasonable or fair or supportive of the maemo community than he is from what I have seen.
Agreed and supported.
(as long as he stays away from moderating *any* council or "political" thread)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Agreed and supported.
(as long as he stays away from moderating *any* council or "political" thread)
I know for a fact he won't.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
tmo gets handled by tmo maintainer (incl appointing mods and all)
If a tmo mod doesn't behave you complain at tmo maintainer. If tmo maintainer doesn't behave, you complain at council. If any of the involved persons has a seat in council, then that person won't participate in that particular case getting discussed in council. Simple as that. Please stop constructing problems from nothing.

Can we discuss candidates now, and start asking them questions so they can answer and the electorate (you) can make up their mind whom to vote for?

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
elections, pls don't feed, the troll