Notices

Ok, I'm short of energy right now, so I'll keep this slim and simple.

Is the engine stupid, or enough smart to be a challenge? Eh... maybe I need to specify myself a bit more.

---General questions about the program---

I've heard that the built-in chess game on the N900 is identical to the N810 version, but this doesn't necessarily mean it won't be any better. Even if the program wasn't rewritten (which would be unlikely, considering the Maemo 5 platform somewhat differs from earlier Maemo versions), then it'd still be stronger, because of more powerful hardware.

Anyway, does anyone know how strong the engine is? Is it almost impossible to beat the most difficult level, or any other levels for that matter? Does the engine make strong moves on 1 sec time controls (if time controls are allowed, that is), or for how long does the engine have to calcule to make a sensible move? What elo does the levels have (maybe this question is too chess specific for the general public)?

I know one's opinions varies from person to person, but this doesn't matter at all here.

If you want to be objective, please speficy the engine's strength in elo (if you somehow succeed to find that out, good luck with that, you'll need it).

Anyway, don't keep you opinion in secret.

What are the options? Time controls? Different sets of pieces? 2D/3D view? Does the latest game save automaticly? Are the results against the engine saved? Is it possible to choose color? Is it possible to play online? Are there fictional ratings for the player as well as the engine for different levels, which depends on the results? Can you ask for draw? Are the names of the openings displayed? Are there any other options that I didn't mention?

Answers would be strongly appreciated, no matter which hardware or software you have (please specify in you post though). I've had (and still have) some personal experience with chess, so I guess I could give some more ideas for how to enhance the game if someone would be interested.

Perhaps some of those questions can be considered as ideas for the program's course of evolution.

And don't assume that a text's sense has anything to do with one's intellectual strength.

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Chess is the same as in N810 (probably even same as in Nokia 770). It uses gnuchess engine, you can read about it's rating here http://www.gnu.org/software/chess/chess_faq.html#B.2

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
somehow i knew some guy with -ov at the back of his name would give a good response to this

The Following User Says Thank You to r0eladn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
From my own experience I'd say that if you are below 1500 you are going to have a hard time even with the easiest level. Actually people complaun that the simple level should be easier.

But I you are above 2000 and you are used to computer chess then maybe the game is not so tricky for you once you find the way to break its "strategy". I don't, never found myself in that fortunate situation.

I wish someone would work on a freechess client and a port of scid using the databases publicly available. I even had some mockups drawn so time ago...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
First of all, your ideas about the ideal chess program for Maemo are welcome at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33764

Now your questions with poor quoting this time (sorry):

- Is the engine stupid, or enough smart to be a challenge? Eh... maybe I need to specify myself a bit more.

The engine is tough for average hobbyist players.

- I've heard that the built-in chess game on the N900 is identical to the N810 version, but this doesn't necessarily mean it won't be any better. Even if the program wasn't rewritten (which would be unlikely, considering the Maemo 5 platform somewhat differs from earlier Maemo versions), then it'd still be stronger, because of more powerful hardware.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't the engine is up to squeezing the CPU, not even in the N810.

- Anyway, does anyone know how strong the engine is? Is it almost impossible to beat the most difficult level, or any other levels for that matter? Does the engine make strong moves on 1 sec time controls (if time controls are allowed, that is), or for how long does the engine have to calcule to make a sensible move? What elo does the levels have (maybe this question is too chess specific for the general public)?

In short, only some Russian colleagues find the Chess game doable in the Maemo team. (yes, I know, the stereotypes. It's the GNUChess engine, so you have ways to try yourself.

- If you want to be objective, please speficy the engine's strength in elo (if you somehow succeed to find that out, good luck with that, you'll need it).

No idea.

- What are the options? Time controls? Different sets of pieces? 2D/3D view? Does the latest game save automaticly? Are the results against the engine saved? Is it possible to choose color? Is it possible to play online? Are there fictional ratings for the player as well as the engine for different levels, which depends on the results? Can you ask for draw? Are the names of the openings displayed? Are there any other options that I didn't mention?

It's very basic. Only choosing color and level easy medium expert or 2 human players. No time, no stored games.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It's very basic. Only choosing color and level easy medium expert or 2 human players. No time, no stored games.
The difficulty level translates directly into thinking time for the engine internally. The Fremantle version's source isn't out yet, but if the timers haven't changed the N900 should play a much stronger game than the N8x0s at the same difficulty settings. The mistral/scirocco/gregale sources weren't available either, but it's possible a difficulty bump has happened before ;-)

See also bug 5483.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
From my own experience I'd say that if you are below 1500 you are going to have a hard time even with the easiest level. Actually people complaun that the simple level should be easier.

But I you are above 2000 and you are used to computer chess then maybe the game is not so tricky for you once you find the way to break its "strategy". I don't, never found myself in that fortunate situation.

I wish someone would work on a freechess client and a port of scid using the databases publicly available. I even had some mockups drawn so time ago...
I became a pro at chess recently, and then I suddenly dropped the interest. I hope I haven't lost the skills now, as I'm ready to learn some new stuff to reach some new personal records.

It's really difficult to say how many elo's one's worth. The only thing I can say is that I peaked at 1850, but I'm soon back there, and it looks like I might (finally) pass the barrier for the first time in my life. I think 2000 isn't out of reach for summer next year, only if I really try hard, because I basicly got to 1800 without any theory at all...

It's somewhat good news that I'm capable of being constantly above 1800 without, but once I begin to study, then my rating drops like a needle. It looks like I need a new strategy, and that's probably what I need to safely pass 2000. I mean, I can accidently reach it, but then I might fall again. At least as it is right now, but I'm working on it to improve the future situation, and hopefully I'll succeed... this time.

I don't spend too much time on chess, but I'd gladly help with anything I can, only if I'm capable of doing that.

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
ARE YOU FUKING KIDDING ITS THE HARDEST ****ING CHESS I EVER PLAYED.

Matter of fact I couldnt beat the goddamn machine on easy yet.

The only problem with the chess that the backlight turns off if you don't move fast enough which is again ridiculously short time like 10 sec?

How the hell can I fix this without hacking the chesses source code and recompiling it again?

The Following User Says Thank You to marauderx For This Useful Post:
How the **** can you beat this piece of **** chess?

I tried so many times but even if I "Cheat" (reverse steps with the back button) eventually I lose.

Fuking machine either protects all of his units and keep cheesin till fuk muh king or if I go offensive it going to sacrifice some of his figures.

Usually when it does that it will be an additional revenge move in 2 steps to take off at least another of my figures for "free" or a high value one.

I need a god damn guide for this and the developer should put in a ****ING OPTION TO NEVER TURN OFF THE PIECE OF **** BACKLIGHT

is this understtttttttttooooooooood?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marauderx For This Useful Post:
As far as the backlight goes, installing the simple brightness applet gives a control to keep the backlight on. I found that out when sensitive motion (the game) was giving me similar problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to amh For This Useful Post:

Tags
gnu chess, maemo 5