Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I am starting this thread to encourage the Diablo/Maemo 4 community to actively discuss and nominate someone for Council. There have been many comments that maemo.org does not serve legacy users/devices well and, on the other hand, that not enough community members are involved to do more. IMHO, it would be good if there was less complaining and we found someone who can constructively and cooperatively provide leadership on these issues on council. I, for one, don't mind if maemo.org becomes smaller if that means it is a more focused and effective community.

This next Council term will likely determine the future of maemo.org. Now is the time. Nominations end on Wednesday I believe.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/004410.html

I am posting in this sub-forum merely because this is where I come most frequently. Feel free to cross-post.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
There is not much that I can offer. I'm no good at adding info to wiki's, or programming, or compiling information that I know, but I can give my opinion as to who I get a lot of support/information. Certain members of maemo.org that if it weren't for them, my n810 wouldn't be as useful as it is today. Lma, Silvermountain, Kroll, Mitrandir, SD69 just to name a few. These five specifically have very strong influence on how I use my n810. I'll do all I can, I want to be involved, and I want to see my n810 become more.

Originally Posted by cstryon View Post
Lma, Silvermountain, Kroll, Mitrandir, SD69 just to name a few. These five specifically have very strong influence on how I use my n810.
I haven't done much, just guiding SSU along as I am not a programmer. Stskeeps started and, at the end, Lma did almost all of the work. I would add Lcuk and Conny as having interest in seeing Maemo continue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
While I'm not sure what qualifications are needed, or what positions anyone holds, I do have some opinions for who I think what be best to represent the legacy community. Who do I tell? How do I nominate somone? If this isn't the official channel, should we discuss who we think is best, pick someonw here, and if they are willing go nominate them?

The right place is the maemo-community list, but if you want to nominate someone you should hurry as there are only around 13 hours left.

The list of eligible candidates is here and current nominations are here.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cstryon View Post
While I'm not sure what qualifications are needed, or what positions anyone holds, I do have some opinions for who I think what be best to represent the legacy community. Who do I tell? How do I nominate somone? If this isn't the official channel, should we discuss who we think is best, pick someonw here, and if they are willing go nominate them?
It doesn't look like there will be much discussion. Go ahead and just nominate the person(s) you want (on the Community mailing list).

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post

This next Council term will likely determine the future of maemo.org. Now is the time. Nominations end on Wednesday I believe.
Just heard that Nokia has proposed to "handover" maemo.org. I don't know details so don't ask me. I guess an announcement will be made soon although it's too late to affect council nominations.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
There have been many comments that maemo.org does not serve legacy users/devices well and, on the other hand, that not enough community members are involved to do more. IMHO, it would be good if there was less complaining and we found someone who can constructively and cooperatively provide leadership on these issues on council.
You don't need to be on the Council to step up and do something. lma's not on the Council, and he's done the Diablo Community SSU.

Two N810s in our house still get regular usage (one daily, one weekly); and there's still lots of software front & centre on maemo.org/downloads/

Questions to ask:
  1. What are the challenges facing the N8x0 community?
  2. What resources would be ideal to meet them?
  3. What resources are available?
  4. How can we meet the gaps?

I've my thoughts, but the answers for #2 & #3 make most things unrealistic.