Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm wondering if there's a dedicated N900/Maemo5 themes website, for downloading themes and 800x480 wallpaper "packs". I haven't found any, so I'm thinking now would be a really good time to get on that.

What do you guys think? Useful?

Edit: I just picked up n900themes.com/n900wallpapers.com so I'll see what I can do about getting a site up in the next few days.

Last edited by code177; 2009-10-01 at 18:31.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
great!
I'd love to contribute themes, wallpapers and .. oh don't forget the homescreen-widget-section!

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
I'm wondering if there's a dedicated N900/Maemo5 themes website, for downloading themes and 800x480 wallpaper "packs". I haven't found any, so I'm thinking now would be a really good time to get on that.

What do you guys think? Useful?
that is the purpose of this section, and downloads.maemo.org

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
that is the purpose of this section, and downloads.maemo.org
A couple of notes:

1. 90% of N900 owners aren't going to have a clue what "a maemo" is. It's unlikely the average N900 owner is going to wander over here without a deal of searching, and when they get here, they're going to be like, "buh o.O".

2. downloads.maemo.org isn't really set up to distribute wallpapers. Widgets yes, themes and wallpapers, not so much.

just my 2 cents. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

--
edit: and honestly, even for distributing widgets and apps we could do with a more user centric approach, especially if we're trying to hook the normal person. Which is not to say I don't appreciate the downloads section - I think it's awesome. But I think it might be a little complex and overwhelming for most people (also slow).

Last edited by code177; 2009-09-30 at 21:20.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
A couple of notes:

1. 90% of N900 owners aren't going to have a clue what "a maemo" is. It's unlikely the average N900 owner is going to wander over here without a deal of searching, and when they get here, they're going to be like, "buh o.O".

2. downloads.maemo.org isn't really set up to distribute wallpapers. Widgets yes, themes and wallpapers, not so much.

--
edit: and honestly, even for distributing widgets and apps we could do with a more user centric approach, especially if we're trying to hook the normal person. Which is not to say I don't appreciate the downloads section - I think it's awesome. But I think it might be a little complex and overwhelming for most people (also slow).
actually when you google n900 this site comes up alot.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
@ code 177 great idea. u should reach out to tehk7 and pizero.

A couple of notes:

--
I think a great user centric way is to go to the application manager on your device and look for the application you want (they are in categories) then install them. In fact I like this better than browing some forum or website. Moreover, if I want a review I can always read the download section of maemo.org to get some other users feedback befoer instaling.

Does this sound like a good idea?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
I think a great user centric way is to go to the application manager on your device and look for the application you want (they are in categories) then install them. In fact I like this better than browing some forum or website. Moreover, if I want a review I can always read the download section of maemo.org to get some other users feedback befoer instaling.

Does this sound like a good idea?
I like this idea. If the site works out I'll write an API for you guys

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hamburg, Germany
i join code177 but as i have had a discussion about this about 6 months ago, let me tell you, code177, what i had to learn: THIS site is NOT for endusers.

So in terms of searching for fitting wallpapers, and thanks to the industry that
developed much more devices with 800x480 as screen resolution all you have
to do is simply google images for "800x480".

Greetings,
Carlos
www.mojocafe.net

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
This site is for end users there are alot more end users here then devs. I don't see why we need a new site to post Wallpapers and Themes the perfered way to get your themes out there is to put them in extras and put a post here talking about your theme and show a few screenshot. I can start a sticky thread for backgrounds so everyone can post there backgrounds there if they want. If your making multiple backgrounds or if you want you can make your own thread will all your backgrounds.

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, n900, themes, wallpapers