i'd love a N900 like device with PS Vita's SoC. Quad A9 with a SGX543MP4+.

Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
BTW, Nvidia is very late regarding its CPUs, the Kal-El that will be released in devices (Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime) will have to face the god damned TI beast, the OMAP 5!!!
We're talking a 40nm built processer vs. a 28nm processor
A 1.3GHz quad-core arm cortex a9 vs. a 2GHz dual-core arm cortex a15
One-channel LPDDR2 vs. Dual-Channel DDR3

The Omap 5 defeats the Kal-El in everything, except the GPU. Nvidia certainly has put some effort on its 12 core ULP Geforce, vs. the single core SGX544.

I just don't understand why TI likes going cheap on the GPUs, the OMAP 4 currently is still using that 4 years old SGX 540, and the OMAP 5 won't be a wowing upgrade...
It depends on the clock speed at which TI will run the SGX544. At 400 MHz, bye bye T3 GPU.

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
That's the conclusion i always come to...., if only we had the tech and such to do it.

I would love to make an N900 replica with bigger screen and bigger keyboard well bigger everything, even speakers and maybe throw in an 2x3W amp like the one i posted in the diy audio thread
Me too. Something with the size a Nokia E7 with a better camera.

Edit: I mean an E7 with Maemo but with E7 body and N8 Camera.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
im gonna use the n900 forever, ill probly stockpile them for when they get scarce. mmmmm. id rather have a handheld computer and a seperate dumbphone than most of the smartphones.

that being said, and not to hijack your thread, but...

i signed up for nokia developer in a scramble to try and get an n950, but just missed the boat. well i just checked my email for the first time in like 6 mo and nokia sent me a notification of a free lumia 800. has anyone else gotten this? is it worth filling it out for them to send it to me?

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Just get an iPhone 4s. It works . It's great.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU

N900 Hardware upgrade thread here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32864

If the chips swap out and swap in, and we find someone that can do a bunch of these, I would be in

Last edited by bingomion; 2011-12-26 at 06:38. Reason: link

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post

N900 Hardware upgrade thread here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32864

If the chips swap out and swap in, and we find someone that can do a bunch of these, I would be in
In this case it would be better to have a whole new MB designed, this way we could have dual core, better camera and such, even get a better screen with a bit more higher res.

But that is not enough if you ask me, i would rather have a bigger device with all the things i describe in post #1, this will also allow for a bigger battery in length and width.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
No see guys manufacturers have decided that all you want to do on your devices is "download apps". Dont need a hwkb for that, or an OS with any smarts. On the contrary the more simple the UI is with cool transition effects the more you like it. </trolling>

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
GTA04 http://gta04.org/ is a nice example for hardware upgrades done by an almost community like setup.

Maybe a GTA05 can have the spec you are looking for....

The Following User Says Thank You to rdorsch For This Useful Post:
I think I could easily live with the N900 for another year (or more) if there was a decent mapping/nav solution. I know, everyone says to look at Mappero, Modrana, or something like that...or perhaps the enhanced Nokia maps...but none of it works as well and as easily as the native Google Maps client on Android or S60. That's really the ONE deficiency that irritates me regularly.

I'm actually surprised that with all the dev time in these other apps, no one has tried to copy as close as possible, the Google-made client.