Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
While I like this idea, I think it's a touch redundant. There are at least 4 ways to skin this cat, and this looks like the hardest one. That said, it looks like you're 90% done with it already, so... Yay for existing community tools! And really, who doesn't want another way to skin a cat?

The most trivial way is to go into off-line mode. Your carrier will forward all things to your voicemail.

Another way would be to use existing tools (cron or QBW, and forwarder) to make it so at set times or when activated it just forwards all calls directly to your existing voicemail. You should get a log that someone called, but the phone would not ring.

Alternatively, you could use an on-line service to do this for you, like Google Voice. Give out your voice number, and have it forward to your cell. Voice can be set to give custom messages during set times. There are also extensions and apps to allow for dial-through and do direct SMSing through GV to preserve that origin number for outbound traffic.

While I love the concept of what you're doing, it feels like killing a fly with a shotgun. Fun if you like shotguns, I suppose... but probably not the most efficient way.

As for what you're actually doing: I think the hard part will be manipulating the mic/input side of things while the default Nokia phone app is running so people don't hear a second of whatever's going on on your side. A second may not seem like much, but just image if that ring picked up just in time to hear: "<ring> OH! Yes! Bab... <click> I can't come to phone right now. Please leave...."
Actually this is a very useful for people like me whose telecom provider does not provide voicemail services without astronomical charges. Also, incoming calls are free, so this would be the most cost efficient solution.
Google voice I believe is only for US/Canada? So people calling me (India) would have to call an international number?

Another thing is, this way, the voice mails are stored in my device and not in a server somewhere.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Im guessing you are think about those people that just has to tell you about the new hair product they just discovered and that's MEGA important news you just have to know even if you are bald (guilty ).
lol really had to laugh about that

... BLACKLIST .
that would make the system even better (and safer against abuse^^)
i'm curious on how this project will develop

And really, who doesn't want another way to skin a cat?
Meow! The...

As for what you're actually doing: I think the hard part will be manipulating the mic/input side of things while the default Nokia phone app is running so people don't hear a second of whatever's going on on your side. A second may not seem like much, but just image if that ring picked up just in time to hear: "<ring> OH! Yes! Bab... <click> I can't come to phone right now. Please leave...."
...actually made my day, not to mention LOL'ing literally in the middle of the night, without any chance to "recover". Which is quite interesting, as I was also thinking about this "critical" 1 second from the first moment of reading script page ago, but it wasn't unless Your nice imaginative pink post, that I was caught into laugh therapy.

Seriously though, I would really *love* to have local voicemail, like those old fashioned tape ones, yet without any additional part, using only my N900. The "important call" mode is also nice, but instead of telling every caller "press 1 if You want to pass-through anyway" (which caller doesn't think it's isn't important, when he actually calls You?), I would change it to simple, plain 4 digits code, that you tell your relatives/etc about in advance. So, only people You've "selected" would know hot to get through ''voicewall''

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Frickelson View Post
lol really had to laugh about that

that would make the system even better (and safer against abuse^^)
i'm curious on how this project will develop
Well next step is to try to mess around with alsamixer and see if i can unblock the muting of local sound, to play the message, when a sound file is played doing a call in this system it just plays without sound output, but looking at the dbus log when a call is coming in and taken it mutes a hell of a lot of audio things in the N900.

now it is just hopefully a unmute via alsamixer that can just open up one of the sound line to play the message to the call.

on another note the wait 1 second and then mute mic should be enough, i can't test it now but when i get access to one more phone to call me then i can try 5x calls with the N900 over an audio source (laptop playing music) and see if i can just hear the smallest few ms of sound.
Remember it just takes a second after called is picked up before all connections are made.

EDIT: Estel well yes that kind of walk through for selective persons are an option but the important call can come from anybody, it might be a matter of life and death and so on.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2012-01-10 at 23:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
ejasmduar said it right. that is the situation with my telco as well. so i would love to have this solution.it gets more interesting when you are roaming too.

here's an idea. you know how when you make or receive a phone call you can pull up the on screen keypad and press keys to playback dtmf tones? it goes to the caller or recipient.

maybe those tones are stored as a file somewhere and we could temporarily replace them with a custom wav file and send a keystroke to the phone app via gtk and then restore the original dtmf tone file?

[edit]
i did a find for *dtmf* files and the only thing that turned up is /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstdtmf.so

anyone knows if the source code for that file is available?

perhaps look into Meego since it is more open source than Maemo? there might be something there that we can use to learn or port?

Last edited by droll; 2012-01-11 at 01:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
I had this idea long back when I made the callerx app, everything the poster described are possible except streaming a recorded audio to callers. This won't be easy otherwise people already had made the app available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khuong For This Useful Post:

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
There are at least 4 ways to skin this cat, and this looks like the hardest one.
None of these 4 ways offer anything near the flexibility of something like PhonePilot which is probably the most useful program for my E71.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
any luck / progress with this?