Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Why do people tend to recriminate before asking first?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I am not sure what happened but I didn't and never banned anyone. Even not sure how to do that...
Thank you for your reply Chen, that's actually really good to hear. I *was* following you on Twitter, but after replying to your latest update I got locked out of my account for 'posting offensive content' (or the like). Since I registered the account just to follow you and had never posted anything before, I assumed that my being locked out had something to do with posting my response to your account.

I'm not sure why I got locked out if you didn't flag my response as inappropriate, I'll try to find out why.

BTW I have actually answered similar questions multiple times. Will ship with Android by default, but will support other OSes as much as I can. Will start with Lineage OS and I will provide free device to the developer. Also SFOS and Maemo L or even Ubuntu Touch.
That's fantastic news!

As freemangordon stated in his post in the Maemo Leste thread, Maemo Leste requires an upstream Linux kernel (so kernel version 4+ I presume) and the ability to access (open source) GPU drivers, not just through the android/libhybris layers. Will that become a possibility?

Again, thanks for responding. Good to hear from you again

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
Thank you for your reply Chen, that's actually really good to hear. I *was* following you on Twitter, but after replying to your latest update I got locked out of my account for 'posting offensive content' (or the like). Since I registered the account just to follow you and had never posted anything before, I assumed that my being locked out had something to do with posting my response to your account.

I'm not sure why I got locked out if you didn't flag my response as inappropriate, I'll try to find out why.

That's fantastic news!

As freemangordon stated in his post in the Maemo Leste thread, Maemo Leste requires an upstream Linux kernel (so kernel version 4+ I presume) and the ability to access (open source) GPU drivers, not just through the android/libhybris layers. Will that become a possibility?

No worries! I guess that's probably Twitter mistakenly thought your account was bot or something and wrongly locked it, I didn't notice anything on my side.

As for your questions, the Linux kernel will be 4.4+ for sure (tested 4.9). The update and driver is down to Qualcomm's support. But we will do our best.

As far as I know the GPU should work under hybris. We don't have the access of the code of drivers but Hybris looks working well.

The parts that better controlled in our hands are the customised parts, such as the camera and its algorithm; fingerprint etc. I will also provide these parts in up-to-date states to the devs. And the basic needs to rely on hybris.

Already know a few Lineage OS developers and will engage with them as early as we can, and provide them with our supports, in terms of hardware and driver. In the meantime I will also provide support of device and info for our great SFOS developer, you must know him.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
This sounds exciting. How does one preorder (if that is a possibility) or provide support, coffee money?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

As far as I know the GPU should work under hybris. We don't have the access of the code of drivers but Hybris looks working well.
AFAIK Google was starting to look into using mainline DRM drivers. Maybe you could check it out, apparently the Pixel 3 already uses those.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...o-MSM-DRM-Plus

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to txus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
BTW I have actually answered similar questions multiple times. Will ship with Android by default, but will support other OSes as much as I can. Will start with Lineage OS and I will provide free device to the developer. Also SFOS and Maemo L or even Ubuntu Touch.
That's fantastic news!

To be clear, I'm personally definitely interested in making Leste run on this device (ReadyFx). Leste *can* run on devices that don't run mainline (as was shown with the Gemini proof of concept; see https://maemo-leste.github.io/maemo-...pril-2018.html).

(Sorry for going OT a bit)

We aim to support only/mostly devices that run mainline, or have a recent kernel with good chances of getting mainlined. (i.mx6 and some qualcomm SoC for example is quite well supported - next to omap, sunxi and exynos)

Having to rely on android drivers is not something we want to do / support, because it's simply really hard to offer support, and backporting kernel patches is also no fun. But it's not that black/white.

In the end, we (leste) also have to figure out how to deal the situation where someone submits a (full) maemo leste port of a device with non-mainline kernel. We do not want to (and cannot) restrict it, but we have to figure out how to "call" it (not official support, etc), what repos to have, where, etc...

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Almost everything sounds really, really promising...

Just hope that this time "too good to be true" actually does not turn out to be, well, too good to be true.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
i am not sure what happened but i didn't and never banned anyone. Even not sure how to do that...

Btw i have actually answered similar questions multiple times. will ship with android by default, but will support other oses as much as i can. Will start with lineage os and i will provide free device to the developer. Also sfos and Maemo L or even ubuntu touch.
Shut up and take my hard earned €€€€!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Originally Posted by Newsletter
Finally we decided to use an AMOLED panel
Now I really really hope this project succeeds

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
After researching average thumb size, we decided the optimal screen size for a landscape keyboard device with a modern display should be about 6 inches.
What the hell ?? -_-
No, really no, this is way to much big ....

What is the average thumb/hand size you take ? During your researches, did you take in account that everybody has its own preferences about the hand positions, and some people rather prefer to have thumbs not streched but crooked ?

I hope there will not be any combo keys which requires to have a thumb from one side which should reach a button on the other side of the keyboard (not a problem with smaller keyboards). In addition, having a smaller screen can still be fine with big hands but be more convinient for people with smaller hands, which means more potential customers.

A bigger screen also means more battery consumption, less solid, less possibility to use the screen with only one hand, and it will not be always possible to keep it in the pants pockets.
On an other hand, with a Nokia N900, I didn't read any comment saying the keyboard was to much small.

On my part, my favorite screen size is 4-4.5", and I have an average hand size for my country. 5" and 5.5" is big but well, since it's the only device which interrest me, why not. But 6" is waaaaayyyy to much.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit