Notices

Pushing forward

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Minsk
Glad to announce, that 'Mnemosyne for Maemo' ready to upload to Fremantle-extras, so, you will be able to compare Mnemosyne and Anki and choose what you like. But we need votes to promote packages, please, vote for these packages:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....0~beta13~rc1/
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in.../2.0.0-16~rc7/

Thank you!

Originally Posted by travik View Post
here, here. Loading takes a good while through easy debian, and the UI elements are tiny. Far from the ideal solution.
I am running into problems trying to install anki from the anki-1.0.1.tgz file. it gives me an error about setuptools-0.6c5-py2.6.egg needing to be downloaded. But, when it tries to download it, I get a python error with a 404 file not found. Do you remember what other dependencies you installed to get it working?

Originally Posted by senorsmile View Post
I am running into problems trying to install anki from the anki-1.0.1.tgz file. it gives me an error about setuptools-0.6c5-py2.6.egg needing to be downloaded. But, when it tries to download it, I get a python error with a 404 file not found. Do you remember what other dependencies you installed to get it working?
Great news! the latest version of anki is now running great directly under maemo with minimum hassle. Here's what i did:

unpack anki-1.0.1.tgz to /home/user/
chmod +x ./anki
(tried to run it, missing sqlalchemy)
apt-get install python-sqlalchemy
(tried again, missing module sipconfig)
google sipconfig, download sipconfig.py, copy to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
./anki

The first load took a long time. I guess my config info from running it under easydebian was still around cuz it automatically loadd fullscreen and started syncing my decks. sync worked great, editing and adding works, subsequent loads take under 30 seconds.

the ui is more useable than i remember, maybe a change in anki itself?

very happy to finally have full native working anki!

Great news! the latest version of anki is now running great directly under maemo with minimum hassle. Here's what i did:

chmod +x ./anki
google sipconfig, download sipconfig.py, copy to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
./anki

The first load took a long time. I guess my config info from running it under easydebian was still around cuz it automatically loadd fullscreen and started syncing my decks. sync worked great, editing and adding works, subsequent loads take under 30 seconds.

Hi, I'm a newbie here, to Maemo and I have my N900 just 1 week so please take that into consideration.
I was very happy to see that someone got Anki working on N900, I tried to follow the steps you posted but I was able to accomplish just the first 2 lines (up to chmod). Then my device says that I don't have a permission to run Anki. And what did I do? In Terminal I went to Anki folder and typed ./anki
Was that the right thing to do? I mean, my knowledge of linux is VERY basic so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm anxious to get Anki working on my device so I'll appreciate ANY help.

chmod +x ./anki
./anki

This worked for me too. I didn't have to find a sipconfig.py file. I did have to install

apt-get install python-qt4

to get a missing QtSvg dependancy solved. All the fonts are kind of huge and some screens are a little difficult to see. It runs much quicker than in easydebian. It's also very strange that it's picking up on my decks from the easy-debian install.

It's also doing a strange thing where about once per second the entire window within anki flashes. It's quite annoying. Anyone else had any success getting anki installed?

Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie here, to Maemo and I have my N900 just 1 week so please take that into consideration.
I was very happy to see that someone got Anki working on N900, I tried to follow the steps you posted but I was able to accomplish just the first 2 lines (up to chmod). Then my device says that I don't have a permission to run Anki. And what did I do? In Terminal I went to Anki folder and typed ./anki
Was that the right thing to do? I mean, my knowledge of linux is VERY basic so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm anxious to get Anki working on my device so I'll appreciate ANY help.
when you installed the dependancies, you did so as root right? I don't believe the apt-get install lines would even run unless you had gained root access.

sudo gainroot

If that doesn't work, you must install roosh
http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access

Let us know how it goes and if you have any more problems.

Originally Posted by senorsmile View Post
This worked for me too. I didn't have to find a sipconfig.py file. I did have to install

apt-get install python-qt4

to get a missing QtSvg dependancy solved. All the fonts are kind of huge and some screens are a little difficult to see. It runs much quicker than in easydebian. It's also very strange that it's picking up on my decks from the easy-debian install.

It's also doing a strange thing where about once per second the entire window within anki flashes. It's quite annoying. Anyone else had any success getting anki installed?
@Reacher - sorry I didnt answer sooner, yeah you have to be in root to install, should have specified that in my instructions. ill try to watch out if you need any more help

I recently had to reflash my phone and set up anki again. For dependencies I had to install python-sqlalchemy, python2.5-qt4 and python2.5-sip4-dev.(probly a much better idea then grabbin the file off google

Yet a weird behavior persists that i didnt mention before as i had all sorts of weird problems before the recent reflash When i run anki as normal user, the fonts are too big, background is black, generally its ugly and i cant open a new deck. Yet when i run it as root, it looks very nice and i can browse to open any deck i want.

what could be causing this? any workarounds, as i dont really like running anki as root all the time.

I am not sure if anyone already mentioned that, but did you consider installing anki via apt?

Theres an anki port in extra devel. Given the fact that the stable version of anki for i386 clients 1.0.1 is only slightly older than version 1.0 avaible in the extra devel repo, it seems to me as a fair compromise.
Moreover it works perfectly. You can download public staples, learn and so forth.
Give it a try. I recommend ankiqt.
The two other packages "ankimaemi and anki" dont work. Ankimaem gives a crude traceback error and the package "anki" as such just seems to be a meta package. Im not sure, but its rather small (100 kbyte) and cannot be started. Maybe the backend.
Anyway, i would try ankiqt.

Sincerly
midori

Edit:
Well after a night of testing the anki applications available in the official repositories, i think i have to revoke some of my statements.
First of all, at the moment there are three different packages which can be started.
Ankimaemi - nevertheless it cant be started; gives a traceback error.
Anki - can be started as root in the shell by executing "anki"
Ankiqt - can be started as normal user in the shell by executing "anki"
Ankiqt is a optimized version for maemo 5 and it barely works. You can start the application and you can access some menus - Thats it. If you want to download a staple or import one, it will crash.
So i recommend "root-anki". "root-anki" is a perfect clone of the original anki. It has the same gui, the same options (downloading staples, creating staples, reviewing; basicly everything) and so forth.
But of course the disadvantage is obvious: It`s not optimised for Maemo 5.
In my point of view "root-anki" is still a good application - it works and its possible to access every part of the application without any bigger problems.
Therefore I reccomend "root-anki".

Sincerly
midori

Last edited by midori; 2010-12-29 at 11:41.

so far I like the root-anki option best as well. The only problem i have is that I cannot install any plugins.
If I try to download them, the Options Window just shuts and does nothing. Same if i try to open the Plugin folder. Just copying the plugins from my PC didnt work, although the plugins showed up in the Options Menu.
Any tips on how to install plugins? I especially need anki to play the sounds that go with the cards.