Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Hartford, CT
Hi all,
I just bought n900 on the 5th but I am encountering a couple of issues. I have looked all over the forum through advance search but nothing which surprised me because my problem should be known.

I am trying to make the bluetooth work with windows 7 pro 64 bit. It pairs fine but then the 4 bluetooth drivers dont install making this useless. Can anyone please tell me how to make the bluetooth work?

Secondly, does n900 plays avi? I am accessing the files through "my pc name" in media player on the n900 but the sound comes through but not the picture. Any ideas on whats going on and how can i fix it? I have the extra decoders installed btw.

I love my n900 but these are a couple of issues that are really bugging me. Also, n900 runs a little sluggish now even when I am browsing and listening to music. Here is a screenshot of that from xterminal (might have to zoom in with browser):
Attached Images

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
N900 DOES play .avi files. You need to download and install the Extra Decoders Support from the app manager. I think it's the extras repository. But you need to watch for the video resolution. If it's bigger than the 800 x 480, you won't be able to play it. You can play it if you download some other media player like canola, but the video will bug a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to white_ranger For This Useful Post:
Can I play it while streaming it? Also, i have the extra decoders installed.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of my dev. manager:

My samsung phone's bluetooth is working for sending and receiving files.
Attached Images

Last edited by badsubby; 2010-03-13 at 23:03.

Try downloading Tversity media server (free) and in the settings for trascode put in max resolution (800x480) and the option "always transcode".

That should work for you
It (media server) will show up nicely in mediaplayer.

Enjoy and hope it helps.

*edit: A little tired so I gave you non related nfo on you questions...
Well either sort the size and it will work fine

Last edited by Modell900; 2010-03-14 at 01:23.

have you installed PC suite and setup BT connection?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ronaldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Originally Posted by badsubby View Post
Hi all,
Secondly, does n900 plays avi? I am accessing the files through "my pc name" in media player on the n900 but the sound comes through but not the picture. Any ideas on whats going on and how can i fix it? I have the extra decoders installed btw.
Hi badsubby.
I'm having the same problems, and it is not related to file type or resolution. I have some Big Bang Theory chapters in my N900, but today I wanted to try the sharing thing with my computer. They play flawlessly from the internal memory, but when going to "my computer" they play only sound.

Apparently it is a known bug, and might be fixed in next firm. (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...577#post482577)

Last edited by cjsegninir; 2010-03-14 at 01:51.

cjsegninir, thanks for the update on the bug. Same thing happened when i played the pilot episode of 30 rock of the memory but no go with the streaming enabled.

However, modell pointed out the traversty media server so that could be an excellent alternative.

Is the bluetooth working on yours? I just flashed my n900 to the factory because it was running sluggishly but its much better now and all of my music etc is still there except the email.

I really felt bad at around 7pm but the maemo community really got through, so thanks for that.

Also note that AVI is just a container and there are some really esoteric codecs used on some AVI files. So asking if X (be it n900, wmp, vlc or whatever) will play "AVI" is kinda worthless unless it implies that the AVI files in question will only ever use one of the common codecs.

Also as said the resolution is an issue, don't try playing full-HD on the device.

I have a bunch of TV-series DVDs encoded to 720x416 H.264 in mp4 container (encoded with Handbrake) to watch on train trips, they play beatifully and H264 is much better codec (better size and quality) than the mpeg codecs usually used in AVIs.

I recommend you check out http://wiki.maemo.org/Video_encoding for details.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
thanks for the reply rambo. As of now I have taken care of two problems. Installed drivers from lenovo even though I have a dell but win 7 suggested it. So bluetooth is working like a charm and had my wow moment when I was able to play my music to my computer's speakers.

Then I flashed n900 and its very smooth as of now

I installed tversity and most files are streaming except a few avi files.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
You can try convert the HD movies to 848x480, it should work for any avi files with the correct codec contrainer and resolution.

You can also use Formatfactory to do the conversion to any file type and contrainer you wanted. Resolution can be edit manually and enter 848x480pixel then convert. It will keep the quality to almost the same as original.

if you stream from Tversity then you'll only get sound only for movie files. I don't know why.