Notices

Poll: What MMORPG game would u like to have ?
Poll Options
What MMORPG game would u like to have ?

Originally Posted by teamer View Post
For now just a background for http://n900.okitoo.net

later when all of us decide what game to start , we'll move on and see what scenery type background we might need
Done! with mostly my free time and a little over a day

Big version: http://i.imgur.com/KNBNy.jpg

790x420 version:

So there, I don't what else I can show. and I only ask for a response on this, just "yes" or "no you are not the sort of designer I'm looking for", either way is fine! I just get this vibe in it being the latter by the ignore, and is not very nice.

Another thing is, you haven't specified if you're commisioning for the designs, I've assumed not and you're looking for someone to contribute for free, and that is fine with me, but don't assume it is easy to find a "good" graphic designer taking their free time on this with without any *bling bling* incentive (not that it is impossible, but harder to find). if you ARE/are considering commisioning do mention! there is likely to be more response

Originally Posted by ukki View Post
I don't see ninjas.
if u want a game explain it

Originally Posted by lonk View Post
Done! with mostly my free time and a little over a day

Big version: http://i.imgur.com/KNBNy.jpg

790x420 version:

So there, I don't what else I can show. and I only ask for a response on this, just "yes" or "no you are not the sort of designer I'm looking for", either way is fine! I just get this vibe in it being the latter by the ignore, and is not very nice.

Another thing is, you haven't specified if you're commisioning for the designs, I've assumed not and you're looking for someone to contribute for free, and that is fine with me, but don't assume it is easy to find a "good" graphic designer taking their free time on this with without any *bling bling* incentive (not that it is impossible, but harder to find). if you ARE/are considering commisioning do mention! there is likely to be more response
nice design but i think we will need another designer who can design ships and buildings , but i liked your style , it could be for menus and backgrounds

about the commissions , i am opening the game for free , unless it required a bigger server which i have to pay for .

I was busy looking for a good game on the N900 and got thinking about what would make a good smartphone game.

This was before this thread was created so excuse any tangents.

Yes, you could do a Call of Duty drone but what would be the point? Fiddly controls, and would look bad compared to PC.

In order to avoid the something-lacking comparison, smartphone games should depend on smartphone only features.

The only real smartphone-only feature is portability. The ability to play a game anywhere, any time. Indeed, some have even made this portability into an augmented reality game.
A game that you'd want to play even if you only have a spare few minutes must be easy to pick up where you left off.

To make up for the lack of graphics & sound, you must have a narrative.

Sometimes a narrative is text describing where you are and hinting at fun objectives. But a narrative can also includes AIs and other players.

Sure that AI is just a hundred lines of code but this is where suspension of disbelief comes in. The more engrossing the narrative, the more you want to believe that AI is real.

There's a guy, Mike Singleton, who's a bit of an 8-bit legend who created immense worlds on a 48k ZX Spectrum. In addition to from using a ton of internal RLE compression, he also wrote a novella for each game (Elite did that too) with some lovely artwork.

Your starting characters and many of the recruitable characters had authentic personality written in. Funnily enough, saving and reloading was such a hassle that if any of the died that was part of the evolving story that you are writing/participating in and you accepted it.

Of course it's easier to have other people be your AI in which case you're going online. With online games, you can use a phat PC to do all the heavy lifting.
But then you have to make it easy for players to relate to each other. Voice contact is a natural evolution, but for low bandwidth users, you really need emotes with typing as a backup.

Pocket Legends seems to be where it's at. However, MOBAs (eg Heroes of Newarth) are simple enough and if the heroes don't die too easily, latency shouldn't be an issue.

nice design but i think we will need another designer who can design ships and buildings , but i liked your style , it could be for menus and backgrounds

about the commissions , i am opening the game for free , unless it required a bigger server which i have to pay for .
You could get everyone to come up with simple ship designs, as long as maybe one person does the final drawings to keep consistency... That way you would different types of ships all looking as if from a different designer just like in real life.

Kinda like the rough drawing on this site

http://androidarts.com/spaceconquest/gamedesign.htm

Im sure loads of people would hand over ideas

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Star Wars strategical

Projects no longer actively developed: here

nice design
Thanks! I like trying new things, feel free to use it too

but i think we will need another designer who can design ships and buildings , but i liked your style , it could be for menus and backgrounds

Now are are assuming I cannot draw ships and spacebuildings, remember you asked for a neutral background, just be aware you may have declined someone willing to do cool spaceships (tip: be more clear to anyone else who wants to contribute! and don't jump to conclusions, so it gives a better impression!)
wait... how many are you looking for exactly? Spotfist has a good point about consistency with the designs.

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
Kinda like the rough drawing on this site

http://androidarts.com/spaceconquest/gamedesign.htm

Im sure loads of people would hand over ideas

edit: wow that link is really cool, interesting to read the explanation and meaning behind those designs, even the meaning behind the colors picked and such

Last edited by lonk; 2012-02-06 at 20:40.

Ye is a cool site, I was looking for some ideas a while ago and am a massive MOO fan! Was well impressed by the ideas and is a shame it didn't seem to go anywhere

Im sure Teamer meant no offense, I still think it would be a good idea to get as many ideas from people for ship designs. Modern car designs are fairly similar but surely different races millions of light years apart would have different ideas? Look at all the different ships in starwars

I would defo lend a hand!

The Following User Says Thank You to Spotfist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by _David_ View Post
I was busy looking for a good game on the N900 and got thinking about what would make a good smartphone game.

This was before this thread was created so excuse any tangents.

Yes, you could do a Call of Duty drone but what would be the point? Fiddly controls, and would look bad compared to PC.

In order to avoid the something-lacking comparison, smartphone games should depend on smartphone only features.

The only real smartphone-only feature is portability. The ability to play a game anywhere, any time. Indeed, some have even made this portability into an augmented reality game.
A game that you'd want to play even if you only have a spare few minutes must be easy to pick up where you left off.

To make up for the lack of graphics & sound, you must have a narrative.

Sometimes a narrative is text describing where you are and hinting at fun objectives. But a narrative can also includes AIs and other players.

Sure that AI is just a hundred lines of code but this is where suspension of disbelief comes in. The more engrossing the narrative, the more you want to believe that AI is real.

There's a guy, Mike Singleton, who's a bit of an 8-bit legend who created immense worlds on a 48k ZX Spectrum. In addition to from using a ton of internal RLE compression, he also wrote a novella for each game (Elite did that too) with some lovely artwork.

Your starting characters and many of the recruitable characters had authentic personality written in. Funnily enough, saving and reloading was such a hassle that if any of the died that was part of the evolving story that you are writing/participating in and you accepted it.

Of course it's easier to have other people be your AI in which case you're going online. With online games, you can use a phat PC to do all the heavy lifting.
But then you have to make it easy for players to relate to each other. Voice contact is a natural evolution, but for low bandwidth users, you really need emotes with typing as a backup.

Pocket Legends seems to be where it's at. However, MOBAs (eg Heroes of Newarth) are simple enough and if the heroes don't die too easily, latency shouldn't be an issue.
Bro , please read the first post , and about what type of game we're talking about . i wonder does the game you mentioned work in browser ?

Don't see the need for much personality in the NPC's as it's an MMO but perhaps Dave was pointing towards an all encompassing galaxy story that must be interesting to keep the player playing...

Would be nice to have "events" happen that can change the course of the game, would be awesome say for different factions to see each other differently and perhaps the owner of the game i.e Teamer could instigate wars by say paying more for one faction to attack another kind of like a bounty, one player would therefore feel compeled to attack the other while the other player sees it as random unprevoked attackes from some evil faction.

In elite the only real AI was the pirates and police I recall (hopefully correctly) I like the idea of having some areas of a game safer than other but obviously the real money is far away, mining etc...

MOO had good interaction between species and the longer you conversed with one the better your alliance, allowing for better trade and exchange of technology but another race could undermine this allience using sabotage.

Teamer do you plane to have any actual flying? I know you said no 3D and perhaps doing something like StarControl would be a bit much but I assume something like that of Master of Orion could be done fairly simply? Ever played it?