Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Cut(off), Res(onance), LPF, BPF, HPF.

MIDI editor on device without MIDI interface... it still doesn't make much sense...
So all those fall under EQ filtering. Good one.

MIDI editing will be useful. Many of us have midi files for drum breakbeats we may want to use with new samples, and you can also export the midi file into something else. If you have a MIDI editior, you can adjust velocity and other things in the environment most are used to. I'd use it, and I've done digital audio professionally for over 9 years now. I think you'll find the hip hop crowd will need it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm with the Corrupt Captain on this.

As a musician myself I'm highly interested in including the Maemo devices into my creative process. I blabbered about it a bit during co-create sessions in the Community section, but to be honest I'm not sure I'd be able to offer concrete on ideas on where/how the N900 and its relatives could contribute. But I'm betting someone will eventually whip out some really cool app(s) and we'll all go "o crap, why didn't we see that coming???"

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-17 at 03:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
something simple we could build off of could be a simple drum machine. Before adding the support to insert samples, just include a simple set of drums, a kick, snare, high hat, 4 toms, a ride cymbal, a crash cymbal, and a tamborine. Allow users to set a BPM, allow event quantization, sequencing and looping of 2, 4, 8, or 16 bars, sequence playlists, and exporting of an audio and MIDI file.

This would be something great for a songwriter like texrat, and would be good for the rapper that needs a little inspiration to pen a few bars. Once the beat sequence is created, the MIDI sequence can be exported to the desktop DAW, drum machine, or keyboard workstation, where it can be edited, and the standard sounds can be replaced with higher quality versions, bring the basic sequence to life.

That could be a good start, and features can be added down the road, but this core feature could be something we could use immediately. And maybe the other features can be added later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
something simple we could build off of could be a simple drum machine. Before adding the support to insert samples, just include a simple set of drums, a kick, snare, high hat, 4 toms, a ride cymbal, a crash cymbal, and a tamborine. Allow users to set a BPM, allow event quantization, sequencing and looping of 2, 4, 8, or 16 bars, sequence playlists, and exporting of an audio and MIDI file.

This would be something great for a songwriter like texrat, and would be good for the rapper that needs a little inspiration to pen a few bars. Once the beat sequence is created, the MIDI sequence can be exported to the desktop DAW, drum machine, or keyboard workstation, where it can be edited, and the standard sounds can be replaced with higher quality versions, bring the basic sequence to life.

That could be a good start, and features can be added down the road, but this core feature could be something we could use immediately. And maybe the other features can be added later.
that would be wonderful! unfortunately i couldn't code my way out of a paperbag; maybe i could proofread the manual or something on that level...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
You're right chris but you still need a 3rd party which does support MIDI, and there is an additional step required. If you need to import and export a lot thats gonna piss you off eventually. But has its uses. Also for example on a live session while playing an instrument on a certain place of podium you could use the N900 to remotely control the laptop running some software. Maybe even with a simplified protocol, with the N900 having optimized touchscreen.

But all this is dreams and doesn't take into account the current state of Linux audio production which must be looked into. Not only available applications, also the infrastructure.

I'm not sure how well supported PulseAudio is, or how well suited it is replacement for JACK (low latency sound server), but back around 2003 we used JACK. For example, instead of an all-in-one application, one can use a patchbay for JACK to connect several (KISS) applications. PulseAudio also has low latency support (comes with performance price either way!), and networking support, but I don't think the latter is an alternative for MIDI. You must also use -rt kernel.

In fact, besides that allows you to learn applications and infrastructure running Ubuntu Studio on PC with a N900 remote connected, gives some idea of how the interface looks and works on N900 (but not performance).

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
I've been using Hydrogen (via EasyDebian) to create beats for about a year now on my N800. It is extremely powerful, runs smoothly, and I can load it without actually going into the EasyDeb environment. Would it be better to create something from scratch or to see if this could be easily packaged without EasyDebian?
Hydrogen has a superb GUI, and can hold its own against any other Drum Machine.
I have created melodies, chords, and bass lines with it too.

dcarter

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dcarter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
I've been using Hydrogen (via EasyDebian) to create beats for about a year now on my N800. It is extremely powerful, runs smoothly, and I can load it without actually going into the EasyDeb environment. Would it be better to create something from scratch or to see if this could be easily packaged without EasyDebian?
Hydrogen has a superb GUI, and can hold its own against any other Drum Machine.
I have created melodies, chords, and bass lines with it too.

dcarter
sweet, care to post a video?

I contacted the developer already. Been waiting a couple days, but no answer back yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Soooo, the next step iss?

I think we need a dev to at least start work on the rudimentary features I mentioned in post 34. How we find him/her/them is another story. Any clues, Maemo faithful?

Tags
audio, fl studio