Active Topics

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think I just heard a fat lady sing and a steam valve vent...
F*cking rabble-rousers.

I don't think real contributors should have to lower themselves to justifying themselves against ridiculous accusations. Everyone here who doesn't know much (myself, for instance) owes a great debt to them, whether they know it or not.

(PS I also think they should keep sharing information amongst themselves in secret.... they'll tell us when we need to know. )

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There really isn't any sort of developer conspiracy. The discussions are very much in the open-- unfortunately, people new to this community and especially new to Linux are faced with a hurdle finding them.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
There really isn't any sort of developer conspiracy. The discussions are very much in the open-- unfortunately, people new to this community and especially new to Linux are faced with a hurdle finding them.
Aww, I pictured a "Guild of Calamitous Intent" style weekly meeting between those in the know.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Question, is this explaination anywhere on the site as a nice Visio-like process chart that can be used to point folks to...

...this way they could see the differences between what they want and their level of platform expertise they'd need in order t o adequately support the want...
Guys, just had a quick read through this thread and this is the most interesting part of it! I may go on a bit, but I do have a point.......promise

Ok, some user's are going to moan that they get "poor service", if you will, from the senior members, but those guys are just trying to stop you messing up your nice shiny toy! I know that I have to steer clear of -devel for a while longer yet (new to linux), so just except it and wait! And if someone says its not for you, then its actually NOT FOR YOU, they aren't just being mean, be happy they answered you and gave you the RIGHT answer.

Problem is, from my experience on here, people (me included) do end up asking questions, not because they haven't searched but the questions that THEY want aren't on a thread regarding that subject. Example: I wanted know how to get open office on my N900 so I posted asking how to do it (didn't know what I was searching for) but debernardis kindly pointed me in the right direction (easy debian).

Ok, all was good, except the easy debian main thread didn't have exactly the info I needed/wanted so I searched but couldn't find it so had to post. I was kindly answered by Qole, who answered a lot of my questions and helped me understand the process better, and now I am happy to continue to install, once some of the bugs are worked out

Anyway, my point is...... I did have one....... why isn't there a more detailed wiki/thread/other place for these processes and installs or infact all the things a new user would ask. I know there is the intro page and the FAQ but detailed pages would be better.

As AJRWright rightly points out, wouldn't having a place with detailed guidance/experience chart/install processes be the best solution to the influx of new members (myself included).

If there was a "How to" on the easy debian install in all of it's debian goodness glory then I wouldn't have had to waste Qole's time by asking qustions. Its not just easy debian by the way its for new things and old. If someone has just seen the phone and thought wow, then comes on here and finds out the you can change the boot screen (another WOW), it's going to end in tears unless you have a page with BIG RED LETTERS saying unless you KNOW what you are doing, don't do this!

I think the problem is that a lot of the guys on here have got used to having a very small group of more than average users, which they don't need to explain things to and the guy asking question already know's exactly where to look if an answer does exist.

I think it may be time to re-organise/open/improve the access of the knowledge database to make it more user friendly to new users, if the N900 does what I suspect it will do, then senior guys be prepared for a LOT of "daddy, how do I do this" threads

Just my thoughts...........

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
[Debian] ANNOUNCE: Easy Debian Turbo-Charged Edition!

This maybe?
Do people not read posts anymore, please re-read. I did say that I read this thread and that it didn't have all the info that I wanted so I had to ask..........................that was kind of my point

If only everyone worked harder for free to make it easier for you..... what a wonderful world it would be.

I deleted the post before you responded because I wasn't sure if the same info carries over to the N900 (in case you were wondering).

(Also, I only skim posts by people whose words I care nothing about,)
Funny guy....... If you had actually read it properly you would see that I was actually agreeing with you guys that people should go ahead and learn as much as possible first, before bothering the maemo.org gods................

............but that is kind of difficult when the infomation isn't ON HERE!

If you don't care don't reply (why waste your precious time)

and your right, this one is probably better.........

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34550

.............oh know I used the search button! Arrhhhhh

By the way I don't mind doing the walkthrough's as I haven't got the device yet so it would be me working for free......if someone could vet them and put them somewhere...........

I started off trying to help.

I had read the thread that I linked to months ago (when I installed EasyDeb), and it answered all of my questions.

I naturally assumed that since all of your questions had not been answered, that you did not read the same thread (as you did not cite a link to the thread you had actually read).

I then retracted my post because it dawned on me that the info in that thread might not be applicable to Maemo 5.

Telling me to re-read your post was rude. I read your post. It just seemed to me that you didn't find the right thread to begin with.
From your deleted post - "This maybe?" Is not trying to help, its being sarcastic and rude.

Debian package was example - not actually what I was trying to explain. Again I said, I had read the main thread - ok bit vague should have sited, and it didn't explain everything I wanted to know.

My Main point - why is there no where with more detailled guide lines and walkthroughs for common/difficult tasks? No answer - no suggestions from you??

"Skimming over my thread because you don't care about what I have to say" - that's rude. I asked you to re-read because if you would have you would have realise the above two points.

....... SO...... any ideas to why there is no area for walkthroughs for newbies or you just going to carry on with the sarcy comments?

If anyone else is interested in walkthroughs for difficult/non standard installs, I would be happy to learn how to do them, install them on my N900 (with photos/screenshots) and post them after a vetting from a helpful senior member, vote now......

The Following User Says Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
As an end-user who has been red pilling since the N800 days, I can testify that it can be a VERY bitter pill to swallow sometimes. It's always exciting being at the bleeding edge but you do so at your own risk. I've been testing some of the apps in extras-devel and they do indeed cause your N900 to flip out. I've been left unable to make or receive calls twice already. Another time I had endless error messages pop up. It won't stop me from testing new apps though. Just be prepared. If you play with fire ...

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
As an end-user who has been red pilling since the N800 days, I can testify that it can be a VERY bitter pill to swallow sometimes. It's always exciting being at the bleeding edge but you do so at your own risk. I've been testing some of the apps in extras-devel and they do indeed cause your N900 to flip out. I've been left unable to make or receive calls twice already. Another time I had endless error messages pop up. It won't stop me from testing new apps though. Just be prepared. If you play with fire ...
I am pretty new to this OS (and linux) but have a fair knowledge of computers but I have read about what a nightmare these installs can be before/during/after I would just like to help. If people want to do testing its their choice and their risk (as long as they know about the risks). Its also what we need in the community to help devs work out what bugs there are and allow people to figure out solutions.

Why not have a document/page for each install (non-standard), if it is detailed then they may realise how dangerous it is, and won't do it. But it would be so useful for people like me. That want to learn and test but need details to learn.

It would just be good to a have a step by step guide on how to do things with a colour coded flag at the top of the page green/yellow/red for how risky it is.

Slightly off topic - but we were discussing how to increase the /opt - things like this for none linux users are a nightmare. We know what we want we're just not sure exactly how to get it So a page on this (step-by-step) code would be very useful and I think a few people would agree with me.

This was what i was trying to get at, plus if everyone is asking how to do it - you can just point them to the page. Plus we can update/keep update pages when better/more stable solutions are found, just seems a lot less work than having a new thread every ten minutes about the same thing.

Its just a thought....... wasn't trying to annoy anyone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Whatever. I hope you never figure it out.
Hilarious

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maemojedi For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemocannonfodder, maemoredshirt, sell crack for n900 money