Active Topics

The chassis recognizes which case is attached and adapts the visual theme of the OS to match, creating "your other half, exactly as you want it to be."

Just reading that made me wanna go buy one.

But seriously, I'm hoping this is now the time that I can go into a mobile store and not have to think about buying 5 or 6 devices to get a close match to the usability of my N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
i am fine with a dual-core, but i want to know that they are forward looking in using an opengl es 3.0 compliant SoC.

i was very disappointed in bb for launching their new bbos10 platform with the adreno225 gpu, and i would hate to see sailfish's future development hampered by the same idiocy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
What's the thing in the middle of the back cover?

I'm hoping it's an inductive charging thingy, which would hint at back covers having more intelligence and the potential of a HWKB "other half" for those that want it, but I can't see any metal contacts on either half. How would that work? Am I missing something? Is it just an NFC tag to say what colour the plastic is? Let's hope all is revealed at the event later.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Hmm, I was hoping for something more high-end. Not for CPU per se (a fast dual core is probably good enough for this OS) but from the looks of it this device lacks stuff like HDMI, extra sensors, good camera, etc. For me the only reason I would want this, is for the OS and the freedom it (should) provide.

I understand it's a market decision now, better sell lots of €400 devices instead of a few €700. They need to build up a market share to get the app developers interested.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
From engadget article :
Update: We now hear that the phone will simply be called the "Jolla." Update #2: Jolla has just clarified that 4G means LTE. Also the display
resolution has been vaguely described
as "HD," which to our minds suggests
720p.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
I think, what we see here, is a concept of modular phone, which means, for 399€ you get the basic phone, which you can extend by "2nd halfs".

These could be things like:
  • bigger battery
  • HWKB
  • eInk-Display
  • better camera with optical zoom
  • amp + speakers
  • and so on

Just like when you hav a DSLR and put different lenses on it, depending on what your planning to do that day, you can change the 2nd half, depending on your plans...

I would love that concept!

Last edited by Leinad; 2013-05-20 at 12:41.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Hmm, I was hoping for something more high-end. Not for CPU per se (a fast dual core is probably good enough for this OS) but from the looks of it this device lacks stuff like HDMI, extra sensors, good camera, etc. For me the only reason I would want this, is for the OS and the freedom it (should) provide.
Great camera is probably hardest for Jolla like company to achieve. It's usually the crappy part of the high specced Chinese phones as Nokia, Samsung, and Sony do their own R&D on their cameras. They don't buy those camera modules from the shelves.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-05-20 at 11:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
I think, what we see here, is a concept of modular phone, which means, for 399€ you get the basic phone, which you can extend by "2nd halfs".

These could be things like:
  • bigger battery
  • HWKB
  • eInk-Display
  • better camera
  • and so on

Just like when you hav a DSLR and put different lenses on it, depending on what your planning to do that day, you can change the 2nd half, depending on your plans...

I would love that concept!
would love that too!

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Great camera is probably hardest for Jolla like company to achieve. It's usually the crappy part of the high specced Chinese phones as Nokia, Samsung, and Sony do their own R&D on their cameras. They don't buy those camera modules from the shelves.
But, the reviews of Lumia 920 re HTC one show that HTC has better camera.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
I think not. Clearly you can see the phone body + a shell. And just a shell. Those two halves are just the design and marketing slogan.

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red