Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I am about to purchase a new digital camera. Having bought the Nokia 770 only a few days ago, I thought it would be nice if the two devices would be able to exchange pictures; at least I should be able to transfer the pics from the camera to the 770.

Does anybody here have a clue if it could/should work? Or, even better, do we have working examples of such a pair out in the wild? What prerequisites must be met? Which models do work? And how?

From what I read so far, I'm pessimistic.
Using my cell phone as a cam, I can do exactly what I want using bluetooth, but I don't see "real" cameras with bluetooth support.
Cameras have USB built in or at least have a docking station with USB. I guess (dont know) that these devices would require the 770 to be in host mode - which is possible, but fiddling with the cables is beyond my skills, I'm afraid of ruining my toys.

There are even cameras that support WLAN, but it seems they need windows-only software to work - and a wouldnt know how the 770 would treat a WLAN-camera anyway. It couldnt use it as an internet access point, so how would it know that I want to set it up for file transfer?

Any help?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be ok if you buy any cam with SD / MMC support. Then just put your RS-mmc from you 770 to your cam, take pics and stuff the rs-mmc back to your 770. 770 comes with the rs-mmc -> mmc converter.

Originally Posted by konttori
... take pics and stuff the rs-mmc back to your 770. 770 comes with the rs-mmc -> mmc converter.
Thank you for your reply. In fact, this seems to be the obvious way to do it - provided the camera uses the same file-system, which is something local stores are reluctant to talk about . It would, however, prevent me from doing things like extending the root filesystem to MMC, using part of the filesystem as a swap file etc.
(I'm not doing this right now, but I thought I should give it a try once I get the 1GB MMC I ordered yesterday )

Anyway, I think doing it without opening the devices and swapping hardware is simply more elegant. You know, whats really odd is that I will eventually have three devices packed with all kinds of data exchange mechanisms:
  • Nokia 6230 cell phone with bluetooth and internet access
  • Nokia 770 with bluetooth, USB and WLAN
  • a new digital camera with probably USB and maybe even WLAN

Still, I cant find an easy and obvious way to transfer pictures from my camera to either the cell phone (to send them via MMS) or to the Nokia 770 (to include them in an email or transfer them to the cell phone) when I'm on holiday. This simply cannot be true. With all there is - USB, WLAN, bluetooth - there has to be a way to get a file from one device to the other without using a desktop PC!

I'm sure somebody out there wants to take the challenge
(And while I type, I'm dreaming on... Image enhancment and manipulation right on the 770...)

Last edited by benny1967; 2006-03-26 at 11:39.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967
Thank you for your reply. In fact, this seems to be the obvious way to do it - provided the camera uses the same file-system, which is something local stores are reluctant to talk about . It would, however, prevent me from doing things like extending the root filesystem to MMC, using part of the filesystem as a swap file etc.
(I'm not doing this right now, but I thought I should give it a try once I get the 1GB MMC I ordered yesterday )
I think all of cams use fat32/16 to store the pics, so it should work just fine.

You can use the swapon / swapoff functions of the processor/mem applet if you need to remove the card.

I don't personally know any reason (yet) to extend the root file system, but perhaps in the future such need would arise.

Aren't there devices which do the copying for you. I remember reading about devices that you attach USB mem to (or usb drive to) and digi cam and the system copies the data from the cam to the usb mem. Such device would solve your problems. Just stock 770 to the other port and cam to the other. Shouldn't be too expensive. Let us know if you find such a device.

Originally Posted by konttori
I remember reading about devices that you attach USB mem to (or usb drive to) and digi cam and the system copies the data from the cam to the usb mem. Such device would solve your problems.
Right, such a device would do (though its a crying shame I obviously cant do without an additional piece of hardware). I didnt know that there are devices like these. Never heard of such a thing before, but I'll try to find one. If its cheap, then it solves my problem. Thank you!

Update: I'll try something like the Belkin USB Anywhere - seems to be what you suggested, right? Only thing is: I need to decide on a camera model in order to test it ;-)

Last edited by benny1967; 2006-03-29 at 11:35.