Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Is there an IRC log somewhere?

I tried irc about a decade ago. Tried again just now and still can't get the hang of it.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Is there an IRC log somewhere?

I tried irc about a decade ago. Tried again just now and still can't get the hang of it.
http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-m...-14.30.log.txt

Originally Posted by velox View Post
"We have received financing to continue Sailfish OS development from our investors.", Antti said.
So jolla software division gets the finance, don't see how this helps 'tabletgate' as he put it.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Same here. I've a 70 year old watch that is still useful, requires no software updates and no charging.

I've a 3 year old smartwatch that is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Smartwatches try to solve a problem that has already been solved.
Exactly, they suggest you need something you really don't need (phablet, tablet, smartwatch).

Oh yes, I love my mechanical automatic watch..

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
So. Tell us, which option is the right one? The tablet is a bit old now, the factory is unhappy, customers are unhappy. But just sending out a refund will make lots of folks even more unhappy. And, choose right this instant, since you don't want to take time to review.
I can only speak for myself, of course but for me there is only one option.
  • If the tablets are delivered, that's fine.
  • If not, I don't want any refund for it.

This was a crowdfunding operation, which means that the money I donated was for the development of the tablet. The money has been used as described, in development costs. I have no right nor any interest to demand my share back, as this is a kind of risk venture. In risk ventures there always is a chance of losing your share.

People should understand and accept this when taking part into crowdfunding operations; the donation is a donation, you give it in your free consent as a contribution towards something that may or may not manifest some time later.

It is definitely not like buying something that already exists somewhere, ready to be delivered to you. Rather, you pay for the creation work, and even if nothing manifests the work has been performed already.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
+2 to that. delmar and aegis
I have my gramps pocket watches which I have kept in stellar condition.
and wear them all the time (ww1 trench pocket watch wrist band...like these remakes
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171340264208?...84.m1436.l2649
...but mine are a little more secure (stronger thicker metal work...course mine are fairly old too...but the leather is supple and good..)

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I can only speak for myself, of course but for me there is only one option
It is definitely not like buying something that already exists somewhere, ready to be delivered to you. Rather, you pay for the creation work, and even if nothing manifests the work has been performed already.
I tend to agree with you but seems that so many people misread and misunderstood their indigogo investment... that to limit the damage, I am not sure that Jolla can afford alienate so many people.

My preference would be that Jolla offer a choice:
- either get a refund
- or receive the tablet with a delay (that I hope they can respect )
- or not claiming anything.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And that mysterious ex-market leader would be...?

Yes wrong forum to pick such an apple centristic definition of smartphone. Sorry to mislead you.

But hey, i am so unfair and measure in market success, which came from convenience and a redefinition of the market.

Quote me in 10 years if you like: we will have no smartphone alikes anymore.
The display/device unification we witnessed over the past 10 years was only founded in technical limitations, namely missing wireless standards to effortlessly share an output to any screen.
Screens will be Screens again in my "convenince wins Vision".
Displaying content will happen wireless to multiple dumb screens in all sizes to match the current workflow all around us.

All i ever asked for is one personal trustworthy device for interaction and storage.
I did not ask to attach a battery hungry but always to small display to it, i already have them. All around me in every room and soon my glasses will have a subtile low energy HD beamer directly to my iris!.

And where is the most convenient place to have that master device.
Your wrist or a even more subtile place i lack the imgination to find.
Sailfish gestures would have been killer to operate on a watch and use its small display as a kind of trackpad mainly to operate what is happening on bigger screens with content.

The one thing that makes everyone look like a complete ***** when trying the half baked versions of watches or glasses we have now, is the user having to concentrate on what he is doing and detaches himself from the outside world for that time.

What i hate most about phones is that i constantly let them fall, have to search them and need at least one hand to operate.

Makers of Dick Tracey got it right decades ago.
Everything since then is a puny milestone on the way.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry, I thought you were talking about smartwatches as that was the topic of the discussion at the time. I had to go back to your post and noticed my mistake.

I would not link smartphones and smartwatches in any meaningful way. Both words start with the same letters but so do aftershave and aftershock.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I can only speak for myself, of course but for me there is only one option.
  • If the tablets are delivered, that's fine.
  • If not, I don't want any refund for it.

This was a crowdfunding operation, which means that the money I donated was for the development of the tablet. The money has been used as described, in development costs. I have no right nor any interest to demand my share back, as this is a kind of risk venture. In risk ventures there always is a chance of losing your share.

People should understand and accept this when taking part into crowdfunding operations; the donation is a donation, you give it in your free consent as a contribution towards something that may or may not manifest some time later.

I agree but also disagree. I don't see it as a pure donation especially not when a 150 Ppl org launch the campaign.

Also when using stuff like stretch Goals your responsebility increase further

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-12-17 at 16:10.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund