Active Topics

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Wales, UK
As the title goes, my N9 is completely dead, It wont turn on I just get the LED light at the bottom right.

I have tried this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ighlight=flash

Before I could get to the "device not working properly" screen. Now, a day later I can't get anywhere.

Can anybody help me out?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DS McGuire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Have you done the commands correctly? I doubt it, or the .bin files could be damaged, it definitely cannot not work with the commands and files right. And if not, try with eMMC too, if not, hardware issue.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
seems like a dead battery, into the flasher use the -i flag and then plug it in, does it vibrate? it is a faint light or a strong one?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
seems like a dead battery, into the flasher use the -i flag and then plug it in, does it vibrate? it is a faint light or a strong one?
By dead you mean damaged or empty? You know, flasher in cmd charges the battery of the N9; even if it was empty. So an empty battery is not a problem.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies guys, I am getting my windows PC back tomorrow and I will try flasher on that. I have been using flasher on linux so far.

Shall I try the same thing or something else on windows?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by DS McGuire View Post
As the title goes, my N9 is completely dead, It wont turn on I just get the LED light at the bottom right.

I have tried this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ighlight=flash

Before I could get to the "device not working properly" screen. Now, a day later I can't get anywhere.

Can anybody help me out?
I doubt I can help you out, since I seem to be in the same situation as you, but there are a few other things I tried that might work for you even though they didn't seem to help me.

You said you followed the "Comprehensive flashing guide". Did all the steps appear successful then no vibrate and no boot, or was there an error reported in one of the steps? If your battery was totally dead, flasher should charge it before continuing.

BTW, with the phone off (after holding power button for > 8 sec.) will it appear to charge when plugged into USB port or charger? I.e., does the LED breathe (slowly turning on and off) for a while then remain on steady?

Have you tried the "Fixing MALF state" instructions? I followed them and was able to mount the N9's volumes. I did find a /var/malf file on my unit indicating too many software reboots. If you find this file on yours, you might check to see what error is reported.

Also, while you have your phone volumes mounted, you can recover some of your data/photos if you haven't already backed those up. Even if you've already done the EMMC flash, you can probably still recover the deleted photos and videos with "photorec" on Linux. Probably something similar for Windows, but I don't know. If you've already used the secure delete, this won't work.

Wishing you better luck than me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
cold flashing should do the trick especially if your led blinks and it otherwise acts dead.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I doubt I can help you out, since I seem to be in the same situation as you, but there are a few other things I tried that might work for you even though they didn't seem to help me.

You said you followed the "Comprehensive flashing guide". Did all the steps appear successful then no vibrate and no boot, or was there an error reported in one of the steps? If your battery was totally dead, flasher should charge it before continuing.

BTW, with the phone off (after holding power button for > 8 sec.) will it appear to charge when plugged into USB port or charger? I.e., does the LED breathe (slowly turning on and off) for a while then remain on steady?

Have you tried the "Fixing MALF state" instructions? I followed them and was able to mount the N9's volumes. I did find a /var/malf file on my unit indicating too many software reboots. If you find this file on yours, you might check to see what error is reported.

Also, while you have your phone volumes mounted, you can recover some of your data/photos if you haven't already backed those up. Even if you've already done the EMMC flash, you can probably still recover the deleted photos and videos with "photorec" on Linux. Probably something similar for Windows, but I don't know. If you've already used the secure delete, this won't work.

Wishing you better luck than me.
When I used that mixing the MALF state guide I get this error

Code:
 WARNING: This tool is intended for professional use only. Using it may result
in permanently damaging your device or losing the warranty.

WARNING: bad kernel format in vmlinuz-2.6.32.20112201-11.2-adaptation-n950-bootloader
FIASCO ERROR: vmlinuz-2.6.32.20112201-11.2-adaptation-n950-bootloader: No such file or directory
I don't know what that is.

When I tried the "Comprehensive flashing guide" I could only get as far as performing than
Code:
 flasher -i
I would normally get a screen showing "device not working properly and that would be as far as I could go because I tried
Code:
flasher -f -F main.bin
and it would say file not found.

Now, trying today I can't even get flasher to see the device, all I see is
Code:
flasher -f -F main.bin
in my terminal.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by DS McGuire View Post
When I used that mixing the MALF state guide I get this error

Code:
 WARNING: This tool is intended for professional use only. Using it may result
in permanently damaging your device or losing the warranty.

WARNING: bad kernel format in vmlinuz-2.6.32.20112201-11.2-adaptation-n950-bootloader
FIASCO ERROR: vmlinuz-2.6.32.20112201-11.2-adaptation-n950-bootloader: No such file or directory
I don't know what that is.

When I tried the "Comprehensive flashing guide" I could only get as far as performing than
Code:
 flasher -i
I would normally get a screen showing "device not working properly and that would be as far as I could go because I tried
Code:
flasher -f -F main.bin
and it would say file not found.

Now, trying today I can't even get flasher to see the device, all I see is
Code:
flasher -f -F main.bin
in my terminal.
Well that's good news (sort of) for you, actually, since it sounds like you either haven't downloaded the proper files, or you aren't invoking the command in the same directory, or you haven't renamed the downloaded files the same as in the instructions. You may want to work through the Flashing Guide step-by-step, ensuring that you understand what you're doing in each step. You may want to locate some help locally to help with downloading, locating and renaming files before proceeding, since those are crucial prerequisites to the flashing procedure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Well that's good news (sort of) for you, actually, since it sounds like you either haven't downloaded the proper files, or you aren't invoking the command in the same directory, or you haven't renamed the downloaded files the same as in the instructions. You may want to work through the Flashing Guide step-by-step, ensuring that you understand what you're doing in each step. You may want to locate some help locally to help with downloading, locating and renaming files before proceeding, since those are crucial prerequisites to the flashing procedure.
Well I guess that is good news.

Do you mean in the MALF fix guide I have not named the files correctly? If so do you know what I should do to change them in order for it to work?

Sorry for being a noob at this, I just want to get my phone fixed