Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...ctive-exploit/

Quite a massive number of devices that are vulnerable to this bug as it's quite an old feature and only discovered now. Then to think many android phones won't get an kernel-update probably. I am assuming android is just as vulnerable as any other linux distro with old kernel.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
A distaster for the servers and a Holy Grail for the handhelds.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
AFAIU you first have to login via ssh(or similar) as normal user to the phone before you can gain root access I don't see it as critical on phone but worse on web sites.

"The exploits can be used against Web hosting providers that provide shell access"

And how many of you give out ssh access to your phone?

However I hope SFOS next release has the fix.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2016-10-21 at 18:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
this exploit can be easily used by any malware application you install

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Apparently the "fix" was identified, any ideas when this will be backported to KP?

Not sure about 2.6.28, but backported to my 4.0.5 server, there had been changes so the patch in the commit wouldn't cleanly go in... but was close enough to easily figure out

Supposedly it's been around since 2.6.22 but "harder" to exploit ... and as I don't have many random binaries I run on my N900, probably somewhat safe. The regular PCs with <koff>flashplayer and any with outward facing shell access I have to be worried about...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eccerr0r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
AFAIU you first have to login via ssh(or similar) as normal user to the phone before you can gain root access I don't see it as critical on phone but worse on web sites.
Nope, your phone could be rooted by nice looking app which is in fact the chinese hackers' malware sneaked into Play Market / App Store e.g. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/chinese-hac...s-risk-1520592 so it's kinda critical too.
BUT at the same time you could root your own phone if you need it and if the phone manufacturer prevents you from getting root access. So I find this vulnerability as somewhat good for the handhelds power users.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
"The exploits can be used against Web hosting providers that provide shell access"
And concerning the servers - it is a total disaster. You do not need the shell access to own your hosting provider's server - you just need exec/system/etc function enabled in PHP configuration and even if such functions are disabled there are plenty of other ways to run shell code where the simplest is - running a cron job from the control panel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meego_leenooks1 View Post
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/chinese-hackers-fool-google-put-one-million-android-users-risk-1520592
"The intelligence-testing Brain Test app was discovered to be containing the malware by security firm Check Point."

Honestly, if you install "Brain Test" applications, you're bound to get hacked in some way eventually.

Every time these supposedly extreme security flaws come up, it turns out to be something you need to explicitly allow. That isn't a security problem, it's a user problem, and those have turned out to be impossible to fix.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
"The intelligence-testing Brain Test app was discovered to be containing the malware by security firm Check Point."

Honestly, if you install "Brain Test" applications, you're bound to get hacked in some way eventually.
That's just the first example I found in Google. I've seen news about dozens or hundreds of innocent-looking apps in Play Market / App Store with hidden ad/spy/mal-ware inside. Surely you have to explicitly allow them to run (install them yourself) but how do you know which app is clean and legitimate and which is not?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
9 years. So much for shallow bugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meego_leenooks1 View Post
That's just the first example I found in Google. I've seen news about dozens or hundreds of innocent-looking apps in Play Market / App Store with hidden ad/spy/mal-ware inside. Surely you have to explicitly allow them to run (install them yourself) but how do you know which app is clean and legitimate and which is not?
Indeed, as long as those apps are proprietary / closed source you just don't know. A ton of Google Play programs ask for permissions that don't make sense. Why should a game need access to your contacts etc..
On an Android phone I assume with cyanogenmod (no gapps) and only install apps from the f-droid repo you will prevent installing any malicious software and are relatively safe.

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post: