Active Topics

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I posted about this a while back, but the problem persists and seems to have gotten worse.

Sometimes, and I haven't figured out a cause, when I plug the N810 in to wall current overnight, in the morning when I unplug it, the LED indicator remains green (and sometimes blinking) when in sleep mode...And when the display is light, advanced-powermanager has the battery with a lightning bolt in the middle. A reboot fixes it, though it has to be a hard reboot (either through pulling the battery or a reboot command from the command line...Using the power button does this wierd instant-reboot thing that bypasses the normal boot process and leaves the device in an unusable state). Another issue I have encountered is that when this happens, sometimes the battery shows about 1 bar after reboot, after charging all night.

Someone suggested restarting HAL, which restarts normally but does not change the conditions of charging:

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/hal restart
Restarting Hardware abstraction layer: hald.
I also tried restarting apmonitord, which meets with somewhat less success:

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apmonitord restart
Advanced Power Monitor Daemon: apmonitord
Restarting...
Advanced Power Monitor 0.5.1-6
Loaded modules (12/12): CPUFrequency CPUGovernor Uptime OSVersion_Maemo Diskspace Memory Swap Temperature_N8x0 RAM LightSensor_N810 CPUGovernors DeviceName

Loading wrappers...
Loading packages list...
LOADED: Nokia's BME
FAILED: BME Free
LOADED: Dummy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/advanced-power-monitor/AdvancedPowerMonitorDaemon.py", line 23, in <module>
    daemon.process_args()
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/Daemon.py", line 114, in process_args
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/Daemon.py", line 89, in restart
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/Daemon.py", line 64, in start
  File "/usr/lib/advanced-power-monitor/AdvancedPowerMonitorDaemon.py", line 18, in run
    self.apm = AdvancedPowerMonitor.apm()
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/AdvancedPowerMonitor.py", line 90, in __init__
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/AdvancedPowerMonitor.py", line 155, in init_wrappers
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/AdvancedPowerMonitor.py", line 193, in change_wrapper
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/wrappers/AbstractWrappers.py", line 34, in end_init
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/wrappers/battery/BatteryBME.py", line 25, in post_init
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/wrappers/battery/BatteryBME.py", line 35, in get_percent
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/src/apm/wrappers/battery/AbstractBattery.py", line 19, in percentage
ZeroDivisionError: float division
$
Does anyone have any suggestions on what the cause of this problem could be (its been doing this on and off for the last couple of months, and it seems to be happening more often of late) or a fix or workaround for the problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--vr

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Singapore
I did not encounter your problem but one possible suggestion is to replace your battery.

For one or two months, I also encountered weird battery issues like the battery bar suddenly dropping from full to near empty or my N810 spontaneously rebooting while charging.

Getting a new battery solved my problems.

Regards,
Kam-Yung

Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
I posted about this a while back, but the problem persists and seems to have gotten worse.

Sometimes, and I haven't figured out a cause, when I plug the N810 in to wall current overnight, in the morning when I unplug it, the LED indicator remains green (and sometimes blinking) when in sleep mode...And when the display is light, advanced-powermanager has the battery with a lightning bolt in the middle. A reboot fixes it, though it has to be a hard reboot (either through pulling the battery or a reboot command from the command line...Using the power button does this wierd instant-reboot thing that bypasses the normal boot process and leaves the device in an unusable state). Another issue I have encountered is that when this happens, sometimes the battery shows about 1 bar after reboot, after charging all night.
[...]
Does anyone have any suggestions on what the cause of this problem could be (its been doing this on and off for the last couple of months, and it seems to be happening more often of late) or a fix or workaround for the problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--vr

Originally Posted by KYSoh View Post
I did not encounter your problem but one possible suggestion is to replace your battery.

For one or two months, I also encountered weird battery issues like the battery bar suddenly dropping from full to near empty or my N810 spontaneously rebooting while charging.

Getting a new battery solved my problems.

Regards,
Kam-Yung
Thanks Kam-Yung. I have the Mugen replacement battery that I got 6 or 8 months ago. I can try replacing it with one of the BP-4Ls that I have to see if it is the battery.

I suggest that you uninstall advanced-power, it gave me problems last time I tried it. See how the original status bar indicator behaves.
Reboot can only be done by a command. This way the file system is unmounted cleanly, apps are closed and deamons are stopped.
When you pull out the battery you introduce errors to the file system, which usually leads to...battery drain.

also saw this
about mugen on N810

Last edited by giladmttw; 2010-06-09 at 11:07.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I second Giladmttw's comments about trying an uninstall of Advanced Power. It does cause wierd and winderful problems from time to time.

My fave is where the CPU applet shows 100% usage, everything is unresponsive, although if you can launch xterm, top does not show anythig untoward. The memory cards suddenly disappear as well.

The only solution is to remove the advanced power apps and reboot a couple of times to get rid of it.

It's done this to me a couple of times now, but as it's so useful I keep reinstalling it.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
I second Giladmttw's comments about trying an uninstall of Advanced Power. It does cause wierd and winderful problems from time to time.

My fave is where the CPU applet shows 100% usage, everything is unresponsive, although if you can launch xterm, top does not show anythig untoward. The memory cards suddenly disappear as well.

The only solution is to remove the advanced power apps and reboot a couple of times to get rid of it.

It's done this to me a couple of times now, but as it's so useful I keep reinstalling it.
That was one thing I was thinking. Since I have my system flipped to run from the SD card, maybe there was a bad spot on it where advanced-power lived. I've uninstalled advanced-power and will let it go a few days.

Thanks,
--vr

If you boot from SD then you need to reboot to the flash and fsck your card. This will fix the errors introduced by pulling the battery. Do it evrytime you have a sudden poweroff.

Originally Posted by giladmttw View Post
If you boot from SD then you need to reboot to the flash and fsck your card. This will fix the errors introduced by pulling the battery. Do it evrytime you have a sudden poweroff.
Actually, I did that last week. 99% of the time (being a Linux sysadmin-type geek), I reboot from the terminal window. On rare occasions, I use the button, and almost never pull the battery.

This sounds like the BME bug described here: Bug 3144