Active Topics

Notices

Hello,

Nokia sponsored creation of Office document viewer based on KOffice:

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009...ed-on-koffice/

KWord and KPresenter are mentioned but I hope other modules are also supported (or will be in future).

Note that while title mentions "viewer" text is about complete KOffice so not only viewing but also edition and creation of documents should be possible.

Program will be officially presented at Maemo Summit.

KOffice is nice thing for creation your own, even quite complex documents (its internal format is Oasis known from OpenOffice.org). Situation is a bit worse with MS-Office compatibility but in my experience "good enough" for simple files. Also one of the official goals of this Nokia involvement is:

Part of the projects goals is to help KOffice mature its loading and rendering of MSOffice documents.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This made me very happy to read. I've used KOffice 2.0 on the desktop, and while it's not at feature parity with even OOo yet, as long as they're working on MS Office support, I don't doubt it will be more than sufficient for at least mobile use by 2.1RC. Kudos to Nokia for being Awesome once again!

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Great. Good news. Thanks.

But QT seems really strange compared to GTK.

KOffice announced today that NOKIA has a this office package for download on Maemo 5, the application is finger / touch friendly.

This is a beta release which will not be bundled on the N900 device, but only available at download section of Nokia/Ovi/Maemo applications.

KOffice is a Word-Excel compatible application based on KDE and Qt.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh, hm.

Better than a text editor I guess... :-|

No more comments until I've tried it out.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Ah, actually this thread was first: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=328595

Merge?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Quim have you tried it so far? Impressions?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
KOffice is nice thing for creation your own, even quite complex documents (its internal format is Oasis known from OpenOffice.org). Situation is a bit worse with MS-Office compatibility but in my experience "good enough" for simple files. Also one of the official goals of this Nokia involvement is: "to help KOffice mature its loading and rendering of MSOffice documents."
Ok, now I am getting more excited. My biggest complaint about KOffice so far was the poor MS Office support compared to competing products.