Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Originally Posted by frethop View Post
You can get a premade image from

http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org/

It's got lots of goodies and is kept very current. The current version comes with Diablo, ESbox and Pluthon Eclipse plugins, Python, C++ bindings, PC connectivity and the latest Maemo software (to quote from the Web site).
Is there a ready-to-use image for qemu?

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Is there a ready-to-use image for qemu?
I don't think so. I only heard of one. I don't remember where I heard it. But it was being built.

Having something lighter that ran with qemu, then using TA-t3's "git" methods would be very cool.

EDIT: Check the maemovmware Garage page. On the bottom is the mention of qemu. It's unclear what version is in there or what the status of the build is.

Apparently qemu can use VMware images now, so it shouldn't be hard to get the Maemo SDK image running under it. I'm using it with VirtualBox and it was quite easy to set up.

Originally Posted by closetpacifist View Post
Apparently qemu can use VMware images now, so it shouldn't be hard to get the Maemo SDK image running under it. I'm using it with VirtualBox and it was quite easy to set up.
ah, nice hint.
works, thx

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
True, but if you run a 64 bit OS you probably do want to run your VM with hardware virtualization.

I've a running vmware image in virtualbox now, but X doesn't want to start. I just got the error from X that it hasn't found any screens. What's wrong?

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I've a running vmware image in virtualbox now, but X doesn't want to start. I just got the error from X that it hasn't found any screens. What's wrong?
I have the same problem. Did you ever figure out the problem?

There is also a version for VirtualBox (here's the torrent) that I'm trying to download, but there is currently only one seeder and it is extremely slow (2KB/s!). I haven't been able to find another copy to download.

It was 'converted' from the Maemo VMware 0.8 image. I'm not sure what 'converted' means. The Maemo VMware 0.7 image works out of the box reasonably well in latest VirtualBox 1.6.x as well as 2.0.x tree.

http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Boston area (NE US)
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
It was 'converted' from the Maemo VMware 0.8 image. I'm not sure what 'converted' means.
Assuming I haven't totally misunderstood the conversation: there are a number of different VMWare products (and each, of course, has different versions). You can't necessarily take a VM designed for one product/version and run it on a different one - but you can use the (free) VMWare converter to convert the VM.
I had to do this as I had a number of VMs that were for player, but I switched over to server, and had to, well... convert

Ah. Well, VirtualBox is a VM product. Not a VMware product. I just say, if we know what has been converted, we can do this ourselves.

FWIW, I just used the VMware image (version 0.6) in VirtualBox. I only had to redefine some variables in the VM configuration. It was pretty straightforward.

Thing is, I run 64 bit Linux, and want hardware virtualization (not para virtualization). Right now I installed the SDK (1.x version) using the .tar.gz (NOT the .deb). This works, provided I disabled vdso32 in GRUB entries.

Tags
development, portable, sdk