Notices

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
This application works on my linux desktop (with some minor issues) so you can use the database on your desktop system. But I think it would be also possible with xml. It would be very easy to use saved data in different kind of applications.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I've run into a problem with the program. When I downloaded the upgraded version (with the autosave) I decided to test out the autosave function. I created a new category, and then exited without hitting save. When I tried to open the program again, nothing seems to happen. In the top right hand corner of the screen it says its opening Stuff, but thats as far as it goes. Seems like its crashing while opening.

Since its happened, I've tried rebooting, as well as uninstalling and re-installing the program. Still no change.

look into your home directory ( "/home/user/" ) and delete stuff.db and settings.db

Until version 1.0 there may be problems with old databases and updated versions of stuff (sorry for that)

Hi.

I'm working on a new version. This time I'll switch to sqlite as database. As a result there will be much better code and data can be accessed from other apps. The database api will be frozen so there won't be problems with different app and db versions.

Using my own app I found out I don't need a save button because I use autosave.

My questions:

- do you use autosave?
- is it really necessary to have a save button?

- do you like the button bar on the left or on the right?

- do you like the thumb view?
I like the list view so my thought is to drop thumb view

bongo

I don't use your application (yet), but I do use BasKet, notecase and maemopad.

From a saving perspective, I think you either need to have autosave + a save button (the button for piece of mind), or remove the concept of saving all together, and have a proper "save as you type" type storing that you get with BasKet and OneNote.

One thing that bugs me about notecase is that it does autosave, but to an autosave file rather than the notes file you are editing. So that if you crash out for any reason, you have to recover the autosave and save it over the your real notes file.

I would prefer if it auto-saved in place, and just had some versioning to cater for the situation where you deleted or edited something by mistake.

Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
One thing that bugs me about notecase is that it does autosave, but to an autosave file rather than the notes file you are editing. So that if you crash out for any reason, you have to recover the autosavande and save it over the your real notes file.

I would prefer if it auto-saved in place, and just had some versioning to cater for the situation where you deleted or edited something by mistake.
Stuff has an autosave option and save buttons but I think people won't use the save buttons if there is some kind of undo function (thats's how I want it to be).

Autosave and normal save use both one file but I think it could a bad idea if stuff crashes.

Add support for images would be useful. I am cataloging my collection of coins and felt a lack of something.

But still is very good. Congratulations for this working.

Originally Posted by mettalph View Post
Add support for images would be useful. I am cataloging my collection of coins and felt a lack of something.

But still is very good. Congratulations for this working.
This is already planned together with some kind of date/time field. But it will take some time because I'm working on the new database backend (sqlite3).