Active Topics

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/21/f...ations-on-wir/

While I applaud the push towards net neutrality in general, this is ridiculous. In the US, where mobile data and even devices themselves are often governed by the carriers, the mobile space needs regulation more than anywhere.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
What the hell does open software have to do with net neutrality? The FCC is run by idiots, for Christ's sake.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
By that argument, AT&T needs to be slapped down HARD...HARD! for having such an inordinate population of so many closed OS's such as Apple's iPhone's iOS and Blackberry's OS and so on. FCC, God-d*mned mother flipping idiots of the nth freaking degree. DO SOMETHING INTELLIGENT AND FOR THE CONSUMER FOR ONCE IN YOUR MISERABLE EXISTANCE.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
If the tubes are open, they're leaking, we can't tolerate leaks! Lets make baseless accusations of not pulling out against Linus Torvalds and cry 'RAPE' until we figure out how to shoot him for treason!!

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
If the tubes are open, they're leaking, we can't tolerate leaks! Lets make baseless accusations of not pulling out against Linus Torvalds and cry 'RAPE' until we figure out how to shoot him for treason!!
"You're an idiot, Starscream! When we slip by their early warning systems in their own shuttle, and destroy Autobot City, the Autobots will be vanquished forever."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FhelgV5qHM

Can't help thinking the carriers are playing the part of the Decepticons in this little scene. I'm pretty certain Ironhide, Brawn, Prowl and Ratchet are playing the part of the FCC, while Autobot City is where we live.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What the hell does open software have to do with net neutrality? The FCC is run by idiots, for Christ's sake.
This. I mean really, wtf...

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
"You're an idiot, Starscream! When we slip by their early warning systems in their own shuttle, and destroy Autobot City, the Autobots will be vanquished forever."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FhelgV5qHM

Can't help thinking the carriers are playing the part of the Decepticons in this little scene. I'm pretty certain Ironhide, Brawn, Prowl and Ratchet are playing the part of the FCC, while Autobot City is where we live.
Holy crap, you're a nerd! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
Holy crap, you're a nerd! Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Yes, oddly, I know all their names and I can recite most of the movie by heart. Also, my Honda Del Sol has a metallic Decepticon badge to the left of the license place in the rear. >

No, my VW Beetle does not have an Autobot logo. It USED to have a Decepticon one (barely noticeable translucent one in the rear window). When asked, I used to tell people, "This ain't no Bumblebee." >

Definitely a nerd, yes.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
It's unfortunate that telecommunications is an industry just regulated enough to keep competition out of the market and unregulated enough to allow all-powerful monopolies to form. It's the worst possible combination of both worlds (and not a failure of the market as many would have you believe).

Really, we should be pursuing a system that allows Joe's Local Cable Co. to compete with Comcast to provide alternatives for consumers when Comcast decides they aren't going to allow Netflix to get to their customers. But instead we're working for more control for a regulatory body that's repeatedly demonstrated its inability to protect anything but the interests of itself and its corporate monopolist cronies.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/21/f...ations-on-wir/

While I applaud the push towards net neutrality in general, this is ridiculous. In the US, where mobile data and even devices themselves are often governed by the carriers, the mobile space needs regulation more than anywhere.
Android version of the good old Chewbacca Defense.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
bunch of tubes