Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Hi - I have a few questions relating to contact/mail/calendar syncing on the Jolla.

Has anyone worked out exactly to what extent "syncing" with Google or Exchange does?

I'm trying to determine if it is worth upgrading to paid Google Apps for the Exchange support - but without knowing the differences and being able to test it, I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade.

I'm also trying to confirm what happens when I add a Google Account to the device, and what the word 'sync' means for contacts/mail/calendar.

"Google" Account
  • Contacts - The contacts appear on the device, but are changes actually 'synced' (either way) or is it just a one-off copy?
  • Mail - Sets up imap but without idle/push
  • Calendar - Nothing available yet, CalDAV will come in an update (but don't know if this will 'sync' or just copy?).

"Exchange" Account
  • Contacts - how does this work - does it sync in both directions?
  • Mail - how does this work - does email arrive instantly, or is it only checked every x mins?
  • Calendar - how does this work - does it sync in both directions?

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Google contacts don't sync, it's one way only from server to phone. So you can't add new contacts to your Google account (but hopefully in the future).

I use outlook.com with Exchange for the calendar and it works fine; Creating an event will use the "default" calendar and it syncs to the cloud, but I can't find out how to choose which calendar you want to use. I tried creating a new contact but can't find any options to choose where to save it so it just saves it to the phone so that's no good. Editing an existing Exchange contact works though, the data is synced back. Now if someone can tell me how to add new contacts to an Exchange account that would be great!

I don't want to give google any money for taking a precious feature away. How much are they charging for Exchane support anyway?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miharin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
My tests have shown similar behaviour:
  • A new contact added in Google eventually appears on the phone (took at least 12 hours, maybe a day)
  • A change to an existing contact eventually appears on the phone (took at least 12 hours, maybe a day)
  • A new contact added to the phone has not shown up in Google
  • A modification to an existing contact on the phone has not shown up in Google

Google charge $5 a month or $50 a year (per user) for their business service. However I'm hesitant to upgrade as I have a few users set up under my domain, and after testing I don't think I'd be able to downgrade back to the free service as they've discontinued it.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
If you subscribe to Nuevasync.com (paid, I think there is a free trial, but no permanent free plan), you can sync Google contacts and calendar via Exchange. That would actually be real, two-way syncing, and you can add other devices too. I used to have it for syncing my Nokia C7 and N900, but used it only for calendar because N900 handled the contacts badly and generated duplicates and triples.
To sync mail with this service I think costs more than just contacts&cal.
Otherwise Google doesn't support syncing either via Exchange or SyncML. CalDAV is the only option really for Google, which very hopefully our Jollas will learn soon. If it does, I would be very surprised and disappointed if it didn't do proper 2-way sync. man that would be so pointless.
Or you could dump Sf native calendar and use an Andro calendar app that syncs with Google.

Originally Posted by mattaustin View Post
Hi - I have a few questions relating to contact/mail/calendar syncing on the Jolla.

Has anyone worked out exactly to what extent "syncing" with Google or Exchange does?

I'm trying to determine if it is worth upgrading to paid Google Apps for the Exchange support - but without knowing the differences and being able to test it, I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade.

I'm also trying to confirm what happens when I add a Google Account to the device, and what the word 'sync' means for contacts/mail/calendar.

"Google" Account
  • Contacts - The contacts appear on the device, but are changes actually 'synced' (either way) or is it just a one-off copy?
  • Mail - Sets up imap but without idle/push
  • Calendar - Nothing available yet, CalDAV will come in an update (but don't know if this will 'sync' or just copy?).

"Exchange" Account
  • Contacts - how does this work - does it sync in both directions?
  • Mail - how does this work - does email arrive instantly, or is it only checked every x mins?
  • Calendar - how does this work - does it sync in both directions?

Originally Posted by Miharin View Post
I don't want to give google any money for taking a precious feature away. How much are they charging for Exchane support anyway?
well said. im going to migrate from google to Live/Outlook for contact+calendar+main mail combo.

screw google for being such a douche

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
well said. im going to migrate from google to Live/Outlook for contact+calendar+main mail combo.

screw google for being such a douche
I'm moving my mail business to fastmail.fm and my calendar&contacts syncing to fruux.com.
fruux.com do have an Android app, but it's only in Google Play store. I sent them an e-mail to ask if there is any other way to get the .apk file, no reply yet. If the give me the apk, I still have no idea if it'll manage to sync the native Sf calendar. Might have to go with an Android app.
If Sailfish gets CalDAV and CardDAV integration, that problem is solved though.
Now we have the funny situation that the only syncing option Sf ships with works only for Microsoft-powered products.

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post: