Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Do not use this. Wait the pr1.2

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
@noetus

The next release will address most of your requests. I don't think I can do anything about the slow launching of the folders. It involves launching a QML application, which will always take a couple of seconds. I am using the qdeclarative-boostable to speed it up as much as possible, as well as keeping the QML as lean as I can.

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
Good luck with that. I challenge you to hold your breath until it arrives.

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Can we arrange app icons in our own order?
What timeframe do you need for integrating the removing part of apps that are placed in folders?

Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
No one is forcing you to use it. Don't be a douche.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coomac For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coomac View Post
No one is forcing you to use it. Don't be a douche.
BTW, I'm surprised there is not already an epic thread regarding pr 1

The Following User Says Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hakki_01 View Post
Can we arrange app icons in our own order?
What timeframe do you need for integrating the removing part of apps that are placed in folders?
The application icons are ordered according to when you add them. You can change the order by re-adding them in a different order.

I'm not sure about the hiding of .desktop files. I haven't yet found a way to do it as user. The only method I've found hides all .desktop files, not individual ones.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Brilliant work Marxian!

OK, so you might notice that if you have Opera installed and you move it to a folder, the icon disappears and the name changes to something else too. This happened with the "other app" for custom folders too so I suspect some weirdness with the opera install. I got some strange results when I tried to modify the operamobile.desktop file so instead of that I just created a new one (I called it opera.desktop) and disabled the old one:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Opera
Comment=Mobile Web Browser
Exec=operamobile
Icon=/usr/share/icons/blanco/80x80/apps/operamobile.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Web;
I modified the opera icon to be a squircle one to fit in with the rest of the icons, and while I was about it I did the same for the Firefox icon. These are the only two that don't match the Harmattan theme I have on my phone. Here they are in case anyone wants to use them:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
@noetus
I don't think I can do anything about the slow launching of the folders.
What about having all the folder-apps open on the startup of the phone, but invisible on the app view screen, becoming visible and then invisible when needed rather than starting up and shutting down?

I don't even know of it is possible to hide apps from the app view screen, but it must be somehow.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I'm not sure about the hiding of .desktop files. I haven't yet found a way to do it as user. The only method I've found hides all .desktop files, not individual ones.
Since this is just a stopgap solution until PR1.2, you could just provide instructions on how to do it manually. If people can figure out root access to their phone it's not hard. The steps don't even involve very much typing, and could even be done from the phone's own terminal screen, though it would be a bit tedious for a large number of icons I suppose.

Tags
folders, organise