Notices

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Reggie
Thanks Milhouse!

Anyone know of a converter that would work with the Mac?
You can now download a working version of media converter for OSX.
http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverterOSX.zip

It needs tiger to work (java 5).

Open the zip to a folder.
Navigate to folder. You should see mediaconverter.jar and a folder encoder.

Just doubleclick on the jar and off you go!

Wow, that was fast!

It works great konttori! I tried converting a WMV file and it played on the 770 perfectly!

Would know if Quicktime Pro can do the same?

I doubt it. It seems that nokia 770 is a bit picky on what exact mpeg 4 variant was used for the encoding.

It took me a few hours to figure out how to make a native call in osx from java, but yeah, it was surprisingly fast work.

Any ideas on how to improve it?

There are lots of options in Quick Time Pro 7 with regards to exporting videos to different formats. There is an MPEG4 option but I'm not sure what the settings are to have the 770 recognize the videos.

Also, it took a while for me to figure out how to switch java settings to v.5 on the Mac.

As for improvements, on the main screen, maybe you can add some note there what kinds of videos/file types it can convert. A destination folder would also be nice, just in case the 770 is connected to the mac directly, and you want the converted video to be generated on the card directly.

Thanks for all your hard work.

excellent idea about the destination folder. i'll try to look for a nice way to implement that soon.

Downloaded the 5 day version of DVD Catalyst to try and copied a DVD, resulting file c.120Mb. Copied this onto the 770 memory card, I have a 1Gb RS-MMC, and when trying to load via File Manager get the format not supported error but when opened in Media Player it is fine , I'm running the latest 770 software.

Kevin

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The 770 is very picky about resolution - what are the properties of the video on your RS-MMC, i.e what resolution, bit rate etc? Did you choose the Nokia options when performing the conversion? With any video over 352x208 you'll most likely have problems playing it on the 770.

I dont know the new Catalyst-770-settings but with an earlier version i had good results.
You could post your last settings here. You will find them somewhere stored in your installationdirectory.

I tried this program...it spits out a lot of error messages...but it worked. I tried to combine the videos with the merger software that it comes with....it won't even play on windows media...much less on the nokia.

Use DVD Shrink, it works awesome (at least it did for me) and its free.

Tony