Hey all, great forums - they helped me decide to snag an n810 finally.

I have updated the OS to the newest version last weekend but I'm still having some wifi issues.

The main issue is my work wifi. My workplace has an unsecured wifi for clients. I am able to connect to it with my PSP. However, my n810 trys to connect to it and has problems. It says "connected to (name)" but my quick contact list (gmail) repeatedly flashes "unable to connect to one or more accounts" - and although it states I'm connected I have no internet and cannot access the web (acts like there's no connection and goes to the server not found page for any address I try to go to).

I'm not a network wizard so I don't know why my PSP can connect and my n810 can't...

Also, I've only installed a few things on the system (weather, and battlegewled) so I can't imagine it's anything like that causing it.

If you have any suggestions, they are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by Nogard810; 2008-02-08 at 22:33.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by Nogard810 View Post
Hey all, great forums - they helped me decide to snag an n810 finally.

I have updated the OS to the newest version last weekend but I'm still having some wifi issues.

I can connect at home to my WEP secure wifi without any problems. And I was able to connect to an open wifi at one resturant, but that's it.

I was in an area with 3 open wifi connections (all fairly low signal though) - and each one gave me a generic "Unable to connect" message.
I have seen this, as well. Although I don't have a definitive answer, my guess would be some sort of authentication based on MAC address, or possibly using a RADIUS server, rather than Pre-Shared Key. Again just guessing.

The other issue is my work wifi. My workplace has an unsecured wifi for clients. I am able to connect to it with my PSP. However, my n810 trys to connect to it and has problems. It says "connected to (name)" but my quick contact list (gmail) repeatedly flashes "unable to connect to one or more accounts" - and although it states I'm connected I have no internet and cannot access the web (acts like there's no connection and goes to the server not found page for any address I try to go to).

I'm not a network wizard so I don't know why my PSP can connect and my n810 can't...

Also, I've only installed a few things on the system (weather, and battlegewled) so I can't imagine it's anything like that causing it.

If you have any suggestions, they are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Usually if you can't connect to an open wifi it's either MAC address filtering or simply the signal being too low.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Usually if you can't connect to an open wifi it's either MAC address filtering or simply the signal being too low.

Something else I thought of: Might be those funky False Access Points a Winders box creates when it can't connect to an Access Point...

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
That's what I would have assumed as well. But I find it odd that my PSP sitting right next to the n810 connects to work's wifi with no problems (and actually has internet access).

It's also odd that here at work my n810 "acts" like it connects - but really it doesn't. :-/

This is very frustrating.

Looking at my PSP and n810 side by side, they are both connected, with the same subnet mask, default router, primary/secondary DNS address - but my Nokia is only getting a tiny bit of data.

Just a kb or two when it tries to login to my gmail account. No internet access on the n810, but the PSP works just great.

Anyone have any idea why the PSP works but the n810 does not? Is there any networking software that can help? I have no idea why it won't receive data.

I've had similar issues connecting to most WIFI hotspots, as well as my home network. I would periodically disconnect from Gtalk, and web browsing was painfully slow.

I corrected this by disabling the Power Saving features for my WIFI connections. You have to do it individually (as far as I know) for each network you connect to. It's located in the advanced options of the network connection.

Hope that helps, and yes it does seem to eat up my battery quite a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestion ScottH241, unfortunately it didn't help.

I can't imagine it's any mac address filtering (also considering it's open and unprotected) as the PSP connected to it instantly. I feel like I'm missing something, or perhaps the n810 is missing some setting.

Is there any special networking software I should install on the n810 I'm unaware of?

Keep the suggestions coming, any are appreciated.

The plot thickens...

I just tested the open wifi on a laptop. Connected without any problems.

Something is funky with the n810 connection.