Closed Thread
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have no idea what those things are but there's a nifty little thing called ssh that I use to do all that plus just about anything you can imagine, with just a few shell scripts...
SSH is great. I'm not being sarcastic either in saying that.
The next time you teach the meat of the market how to do SSH will be the first time it was taught.

Design for your consumers to come, not the ones you have now (skate to where the puck is going, not to where it is).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
SSH is great. I'm not being sarcastic either in saying that.
The next time you teach the meat of the market how to do SSH will be the first time it was taught.

Design for your consumers to come, not the ones you have now (skate to where the puck is going, not to where it is).
I kind of get what you are going after, here, but the real truth in here is that the solutions you proposed are something that probably depend on outside resources, some central control point which is between you and your device.
(I suppose so, from what I could find out from Nokia Mobile Web Server and Samsung Kies)

So basically you are trusting your data and your device access to somebody else. Well, that might be okay for you, but I rather like to be guardian of my data and access myself.

These services masquarade as convenience to end-users when actually with a little bit of creative thinking and available tools you can make up a platform for yourself that really is convenient, secure and private.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I kind of get what you are going after, here, but the real truth in here is that the solutions you proposed are something that probably depend on outside resources, some central control point which is between you and your device.
(I suppose so, from what I could find out from Nokia Mobile Web Server and Samsung Kies)

So basically you are trusting your data and your device access to somebody else. Well, that might be okay for you, but I rather like to be guardian of my data and access myself.

These services masquarade as convenience to end-users when actually with a little bit of creative thinking and available tools you can make up a platform for yourself that really is convenient, secure and private.
Nokia's MWS was a mobile web server and Python-driven CMS, pushed thru a Nokia-maintained gateway. The latter being because per their relationships with carriers, the use of a DNS gateway on one's mobile device meant that a user could literally skip the carrier they were on and do other things. Nokia played fair there, but nothing else was on their server. Samsung took everything except the server/gateway side of that tech and made Kies Air - a slightly detuned but smoother CMS over WLAN hosted from your mobile that allows for the management of various aspects of your mobile w/o pulling it from your pocket.

The point of a sever and CMS on your own mobile device - both which were built with open framework, open licences, and open source technologies and behaviors - is that you can manage all of this yourself, without exposing yourself to others.

If people could make it themselves always, then we'd not be having this discussion, because Maemo and the N810 would have been enough. Per the warts of the DIY community, not everyone can - but those who can rarely make it accessible enough that even those w/o their bent can do it. That's the entry point the MWS proposed. It was missed here and especially at Nokia (ask the Jolla board member who was one of the 4 people who created it).

---
Having a server and CMS on your mobile device means that you can create and maintain connections yourself. Every mobile is capable of it, every carrier restricts some important point of it in their terms of use. If people were responsible for this aspect of connectivity and mobility, there'd be a lot less of that central control.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
QRcode reader is a must for me, any1 know if theres someone working on app that can read them?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrD For This Useful Post:
Keepass, AWESOME!!

The Following User Says Thank You to nanderv For This Useful Post:
Strongswan and SIP Client.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Munzee and geocaching applications.. The Android versions dont seem to work on the Jolla...

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Vienna, Austria
how about a brightness widget app, in which the cover allows you to swipe left/right to switch brightness manually?!

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I don't see KDE connect anywhere on here.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/09/i...-notifications

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by XiliX View Post
Munzee and geocaching applications.. The Android versions dont seem to work on the Jolla...
while waiting native geocaching app you can use c:geo. To make it work you must use osm as map source and disable compass (select use only gps in compass view).

Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish