Notices

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
0. assuming your phone locale has been set to english_us in the setup menu, otherwise change appropriately
1. Login to N900 as root
1.1 apt-get install espeakgui espeak libespeak espeak-data wget unzip
1.2 (optionally) espeak 'hello world' to check that it works
2. cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html
3. mv index.html index.html.nokia; gzip index.html.nokia
4. wget http://www.pittnerovi.com/jiri/hobby...00/maps.tar.gz
5. tar zvxf maps.tar.gz; rm maps.tar.gz
6. cd /home/user/MyDocs; mkdir navigation_sounds; cd navigation_sounds; wget http://static.s2g.gate5.de/maploader...english_us.zip
6.1 unzip english_us.zip (do not rename to .wav)
6.2 cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html ; ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/navigation_sounds/english_us .
6.3 change SOUNDPATH in speak_02.py if using different language directory
7. nohup ./speak_02.py >/dev/null &
7.1 (optionally) wget -O /dev/null http://localhost:9999/hello ; wget -O /dev/null http://localhost:9999/:g5ann_001 (to check that it works with both sampled and synthetized speach)
8. start OVI maps from the GUI.

when i reach that step, it says

ln: english_us/english_us: Operation not permitted

how do i get around this?
I got stuck on step 4 and now my ovi maps does not even open it stays on the screen with the loading bar. Apparently step four is not found for some reason. Sorry new to terminal so now no maps whatsoever. I knew I should have left it alone.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
I had the same problem, but if you start all over again... make sure that extras-devel is enabled, and you're connected to the internet and on General profile. I got nowhere until all 3 of those things were on, and now, success. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by jhb View Post
Thanks Blaizzen and others for all the ongoing work!

I have installed omvs according to the wiki, and it seems to work (need to take it for a testrun outside though). One thing I noticed are aplay errors:

Code:
aplay: playback:2297: read error
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5tul_002e' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5num_150' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5unt_002' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5tul_003e' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5num_150' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5unt_002' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5tul_003e' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
aplay: playback:2297: read error
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5tur_003e' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Any ideas?
No clue about these erorrs sorry. All the server does is send the commands, so I assume the issue is with aplay itself. Try using aplay from the xterm and seeing the output. Otherwise it could be an argument I'm passing through as well. But it seems to work fine (since its playing the wave files). Googling the "aplay: playback:2297: read error" gives a few odd results... so I'm not sure what it means.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by louiegoat View Post
I got stuck on step 4 and now my ovi maps does not even open it stays on the screen with the loading bar. Apparently step four is not found for some reason. Sorry new to terminal so now no maps whatsoever. I knew I should have left it alone.
check if your index.html file is still in the /usr/share/nokia-maps/html folder. i realized sometimes it removes the index.html file. restoring it should solve your issue.
Malaysian N900 user!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by louiegoat View Post
Stuck at step 6.2 . Terminal says "In: not found" ? I am fairly proficient at different OS's (DOS, Windoze, a little BSD, and Linux) although I never really used terminal in all the Distro's I have had up and running on my servers and desktops I own. I am like totally new to terminal in Linux, always scared to screw something up. I am trying to be brave and take the plunge.

Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
check if your index.html file is still in the /usr/share/nokia-maps/html folder. i realized sometimes it removes the index.html file. restoring it should solve your issue.
Use the link to the original article shown on the fist post as the script you have shown seems to have shorten versions of the code required for some reason. I am not that familer with `xterm but managed to get it to work.

However it is nowhere near being a Sygic Modile Maps replacement at present in my view but good if you don't have this app.

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Use the link to the original article shown on the fist post as the script you have shown seems to have shorten versions of the code required for some reason. I am not that familer with `xterm but managed to get it to work.

However it is nowhere near being a Sygic Modile Maps replacement at present in my view but good if you don't have this app.
Kind of funny you mentioned prefering Sygic as I recently had the opposite thought! I happen to notice that voice quality had improved for some reason on ovi maps. At least initially, when you hear it say something like, "Turn Left" the voice is very clear and sounds reasonable. Indeed I had thought it was nearly as good as Sygic at giving the turn instruction. But, then if you have the street name enabled the voice can sound a bit garbled and the timing can be bad. Its like it is an entirely different process going on simulataneously, and, infact, on occasion sounds like a different person talking at the same time the turn instruction is given. Is this common? Any suggestions to improve on it. Anyways, I have CloudGPS, Modrana, Ovi Maps and Sygic Mobile Maps on my N900. I find I like them all for different reasons but usually prefer to use the non commercial ones.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Kind of funny you mentioned prefering Sygic as I recently had the opposite thought! I happen to notice that voice quality had improved for some reason on ovi maps. At least initially, when you hear it say something like, "Turn Left" the voice is very clear and sounds reasonable. Indeed I had thought it was nearly as good as Sygic at giving the turn instruction. But, then if you have the street name enabled the voice can sound a bit garbled and the timing can be bad. Its like it is an entirely different process going on simulataneously, and, infact, on occasion sounds like a different person talking at the same time the turn instruction is given. Is this common? Any suggestions to improve on it. Anyways, I have CloudGPS, Modrana, Ovi Maps and Sygic Mobile Maps on my N900. I find I like them all for different reasons but usually prefer to use the non commercial ones.
Ovi map enhancements use nokia's own voice files for most of the voice navigation hence it appears nice and clean. For street names, it uses espeak, which does sound a bit robotish, hence the massive difference in quality. There is information in this thread to make espeak less robotic, and some members got good results with it so you can try and see if it helps

talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=997531&postcount=409

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Thanks to all ! Maps working again ! Still don't have or know how to get voice to work , but I will keep trying. Also when starting OVI Maps it asksme for an internet connection. Does this have to be always on ? I have unlimited internet but still figuring out how to use loaded maps from memory card. Thanks !

can anyone tell me how to get omvoiceserver working...whenever I try to give the location of voice file it crashes..I have latest .html file but cant get omvoice server workinking plsss help me