Notices

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
this is goog news. I love maemo wordpy, and have used it to edit my blog pretty much since I started my blog. really looking forward to my n900 and an updated wordp/mastory.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Cool! Thanks for the review Reggie, I'll take note of the suggestions.

Just a comment: Maemo WordPy is being renamed to MaStory (there's a package in Extras-testing with that name yet).
I know it will be confusing at first but I think it's a better name for the future and the coming events.
nice clean look. beautiful icons.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by ymb View Post
* any way to get "tool tips" or text?
Just asking, no sarcaism meant - but why would you need tool tips on a handheld, touchscreen, finger-UI-driven device?

To my understanding, there's no mouse-over event being handled by the buttons, unless you are using an alternate input device.

Unless you are looking at the idea of doing a tap-hold on an icon, where that would show a tooltip - similar to the N97 and RIM Storm 1 models - in which case it makes some sense, but then it doesn't in that the icons would need to be designed to be simpler so that you could infer the meaning without text.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
first off, thanks for creating this (and also the S60 version).
You're welcome
There's a small confusion lately about the S60 version, I have already seen it in some blogs, but the S60 version that I think people mean is Wordmobi, a different application done by Marcelo Barrios.

WordPy/MaStory hasn't a S60 version.

Have you looked at PyQT or PySide for using the QT stuff with your exisiting code base?
Yeah, surely I'll write some application in PySide in the future, but my plans are to learn Qt on the C++ style.
Python has the advantage to be a fast language to code, but it's slower running, and the most important isn't officially supported by Nokia.
Qt in C++ will be the official framework in the future, and it has Qt Creator that is awesome.

The change to Qt in the application won't happen before of 2010 end, so I think I have enough time to learn C++.

and now some observations or enhancement requests;
* offfline mode
* default when starting up?
I don't know what you mean with this.
MaStory will use the system state, if you're connected it will be able to use network features, but if you aren't it won't be able, you can use offline fetures in any of the states (connected or not).

* store posts, drafts locally and then sync up (this works on the S60 version already?)
This feature is in some place in the roadmap (an eventually will be done). Now you can only save the posts locally, and publish one by one.

* use more "standard" icons on the post edit screen
* follow wordpress, media wiki, blogger etc conventions ( "globe with chain" is the insert link icon, bold is strong B etc)
I know that some of the icons aren't very intuitive (for example the tags/categories or preview), but I think they aren't very difficult to learn.
Perhaps I should change all them, and create a better ones (a new challenge for Joshua.maverick )

* any way to get "tool tips" or text?
Here I think similar to ARJWright, I don't see the necessity for tooltips. I think the UI guidelines also rejects it.
If something isn't completely clear, it should be improved without to use tooltips.

* remove publish icon. Change it to a menu option, and add a save as draft option as well!
Why should be it changed to the menu?
IMHO it makes more sense in the toolbar on editing a post, but if you convince me, I can consider it.

To save as a draft, you need go to "Publish Options" in the advanced screen (with the >> icon in toolbar). There will be a "Status" button to choose between the different options (publish, draft, private, pending).
If you choose draft as status, the publish button will change its appearance.

* allow selection of blog when saving drafts or publish
current method only posts to whatever is set as default
You already can to do it, go to Settings->General and enable "Choose account sending".

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Some more requests:[*]bug on main page where second post appears twice as the latest post (see first screenshot in review)
I'll investigate it. It should be fairly simple to fix.

some typos on status of posts and comments: publish -> published and approve -> approved
Yes, It's a text that the APIs receive on getting the information from the comments and posts. It also is simple to fix.

a default image resize width in the settings - dialing down to 500px everytime takes too much time
Great idea. I also have seen many posts with big images, probably why people didn't know that it can edit images too.

any way to use standard html tags for text appearance like <i></i> instead of using spans?
I know it looks too long ;-) In the first versions it was using <i>, <b>, etc. I don't remember why I changed it, if I don't find any reason, it will return back to use these tags.

add comment date column on Manage Comments screen
Right now I don't know if the APIs return the date, but I'll take a look.

request for image watermarking feature -- superimpose a .png image logo on top (lower right or left) of image
Cool. Added to the TODO list.

a neat addon is a video (youtube, vimeo, ovi, etc) embed option where you just specify the video id
Yeah, youtube will be supported in version 2.1, let's see how I can implement it being simple for the users. Others services could come later, but youtube is the most important right now.

Great work Yerga!
Thanks!

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Just asking, no sarcaism meant - but why would you need tool tips on a handheld, touchscreen, finger-UI-driven device?
I was not after tool tips specifically (and now you have pointed it out, they don't work with a Finger driven UI), more the basic concept that tool tips represent (an alternative method of getting information about what a specific icon does)

The Following User Says Thank You to ymb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
* offfline mode
* default when starting up?
I don't know what you mean with this.
MaStory will use the system state, if you're connected it will be able to use network features, but if you aren't it won't be able, you can use offline fetures in any of the states (connected or not).
I might have been getting confused with the WordMobi feature set (appologies if that is the case)

The idea is sort of tied to the follow up feature request to cache and sync both posts and drafts.
My thinking for the use case here is when you are traveling and the N900 becomes more of a WiFi tablet again due to roaming data costs, or when you are on a plane and can't go on-line

I guess it would be quite some work to change the "posts list" to be more of a sync, rather than a fetch everytime.

Why should be it changed to the menu?
IMHO it makes more sense in the toolbar on editing a post, but if you convince me, I can consider it.

To save as a draft, you need go to "Publish Options" in the advanced screen (with the >> icon in toolbar). There will be a "Status" button to choose between the different options (publish, draft, private, pending).
If you choose draft as status, the publish button will change its appearance.

From my inital experimentation, "Publish" is a bit to much of a drastic action to have as an icon (appologies, but as i have been "fiddling" intermitantly with settings I can't remember how things are as default).
The second reason is that if both "Publish" and "Save as draft" were menu options, it fits more closely with the workflow as experienced via the regular blogging web UI, as I see it (both Blogger & Wordpress have icons around the Edit-Box but save and publish buttons)

This may be a case where some form of tutorial helps, or as you say, getting clearer icons made

Either way, thanks for the tips.

Last edited by ymb; 2009-11-09 at 22:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to ymb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Zürich, Switzerland
I tried out MaStory as well and thought I'll give you just shortly my feedback/ideas:

1.) I would also like to see an option to upload my blog post as a draft
-> User case: I start writing on my way home, but want to finish my blog post back home on my computer (maybe it needs some more linking, formatting, ...)

2.) Also useful would be if I could edit the insert tags button. I hardly use some of the provided tags and would instead need other tags.

Nice would be something like if you could push on the button longer and a window shows up, where you can edit the opening tag and the closing tag.

3.) Another thing useful would be, if the categories and tags get synced between blog and phone when you open the correspondant menu

4.) Maybe a different error message to tell you if you are not connected -> at the moment there is just a message saying that there was an error. (Maybe it's just me, but it happend already twice, that I wasn't connected)

Of course nice would be, if the publish button changes to a save button, if the phone is not connected, and uploads the post later.

Otherwise, thanks for this great application. I hope you'll continue working on it... Did a great job until now!

The Following User Says Thank You to pixelgeek For This Useful Post:
Hey, thanks for the hard work, MaStory looks like a pretty sweet app.

just a quick feedback from my end if you dont mind:

i just sent a bug report concerning the image attachment on a BLOGGER account;
i keep getting an "Error Publishing" each time i try to publish a message including an image (local image taken with the device itself)... i tried first with a full res, then a resized version (thru MaStory), then a cropped version... works perfectly without image tho...

another thing, somehow, i cant click-hold select text (like in any other text editing program)... maybe its just me, as i just got my n900 (used to be a n800 user), so i'm still tryin to figure things out, but it seems that i only get that with MaStory...

great app anyway, keep up the good work

peace

nox

The Following User Says Thank You to noxizmad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noxizmad View Post
Hey, thanks for the hard work, MaStory looks like a pretty sweet app.

just a quick feedback from my end if you dont mind:

i just sent a bug report concerning the image attachment on a BLOGGER account;
i keep getting an "Error Publishing" each time i try to publish a message including an image (local image taken with the device itself)... i tried first with a full res, then a resized version (thru MaStory), then a cropped version... works perfectly without image tho...
Blogger API does not allow upload/post local images.
So I use a workaround here, MaStory will use Picasa Web Albums to upload the images, and post it in Blogger.

If you have never used Picasa, it will fail. I think it's the problem you are having here. To fix it, just go to http://picasaweb.google.com and log in with your google details, then Picasa will be activated.
After that, try MaStory again.

I know that it is a problem in MaStory documentation (lack of it). Unfortunately it's a very boring topic for me, so I postpone to write the documentation everyday (shame on me, I know). I would receive charmed any help in this topic.

If after activate Picasa or if you have already activated it, and MaStory continues failing, try publish a post with an image and without closing the application, check the Log in the menu and send it to me (dyerga at gmail dot com), or copy it here.

another thing, somehow, i cant click-hold select text (like in any other text editing program)... maybe its just me, as i just got my n900 (used to be a n800 user), so i'm still tryin to figure things out, but it seems that i only get that with MaStory...
Well, this is a specific problem in Maemo 5 if you follow the guidelines. You can't select text and scrolling with fingers in a text entry (I think it will be fixed in future versions of Maemo 5).

In MaStory is important to be able to select text, so it uses a workaround, there is a checkbutton in the menu "Select text", if it is activated, you will be able to select text in the text entries, but you will not be able to scroll kinetically with the fingers (there will be a scrollbar though).

great app anyway, keep up the good work
Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post: