It would be good to test exact same (physically) cell both in phone, and (2nd time) via external charger with such function. Maybe something is wrong with calculation of mAh from raw values, reported by chip?

But, bnf (and bq27200.sh) are using i2c to access raw values reported by chip, then, bnf calculates mAh internally, always doing it the same way. It doesn't depend on newest charging/measuring kernel modules by Pali, so updates to kernel-power shouldn't affect it (in fact, it doesn't require KP at all).

So, no idea what could have changed. For sure, our internal chips didn't, scripts too... WTF?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

A bit off-topic

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
with lithium no need to do that at all, i have all kinds of lithium for these tests and for electric vehicles and DIY flashlights amps etc...

No matter how you use them they will not have any weird effects like the old crappy NiCD/NiHM battery's, only 2 things to keep in mind:
Don't go under 2V (ill say 2.5V to be safe) and don't go over 4.23V then all is good.
That comment regarding NiCds and NiMH. They still make NiCD packs that go into space. My understanding is that the memory effect rumour was due to research where satellite batteries were exposed to exactly the same charging / cycling regime (no clouds in space) for the life cycle of the battery pack. If you can imagine a satellite getting the same charge every day which is dependent on it's orbit, that is when a "memory effect" comes in to play. If it weren't for the toxicity, NiCds would still be a viable battery technology except for watt hours per kg, or lack of them. NiMH tech is now so good due to the Eneloop--I guess many people will know this but "patent encumbrance large format NiMH" is hot topic amongst EV owners and I understand you are one of these people dr_frost_dk? Both of these technologies have cycle lives of over 1000 recharges, lipo is realistically 250-300 deep cycles?

I've made several AA (eneloop) NiMH battery packs for cellphones, they are just a bit bulky that's all. It keeps older cellphones going for much longer when their proprietary battery packs are no longer available. Just find a suitable resistor for the batt-sense pin and you are away laughing

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
independent
I know they are getting better but they still are not nearly what i need for EV applications, and i use LiFe battery's and here we also talk about 1500+ Cycles, i did use LiPo to start with because of price and easy to come by and worked just fine but LiFe is so much better in every sense, unless we talk about raw power then LiPo have the edge with 65-130C and they are still pushing that number higher and higher.

------------------

magick777
Will check the battery when i get the time, just a bit swamped right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Been playing with my new Polarcell this week and there is a noticeable performance increase.
I can last 40 hours with my normal usage compared to 24 hours.
I know it's not raw data but I can compare between three different Nokia batteries and get about 24 hours.
Thanks for the heads up with the new supply of Polarcell's, they posted to the UK very quickly.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
In Your case, last report is 225 mAh *more* than expected, for 1500 mAh, single-cell battery, used heavily, as You said. That result would be ground-breaking, and would require ultra-low internal resistance inside polarcells, + some other voodoo doing its job.

While I remember shadowjk mentioning very good (low) internal resistance of polarcells (or was it japod? ), it's still hardly to believe *so good* results.
---

Summary - I have no idea WTF Give it 2-3 more calibrating shots, and keep us reported. It's very intriguing.

/Estel
After 4 days and 8 hours from last full charge, today I got LMD 1718 mAh. This time I controlled the discharge with some normal to light usage so that to be able to see if the phone will turn off when I would have around 200 mAh left (if the 1725 reported previously would be wrong). After bme reported 0% and low battery message I still had around 200 mAh left and phone battery lasted another few hours while keeping screen on most of the time for checking regularly the status with bq27200.sh.

So I would say that nothing at this point suggest the real capacity of this battery is not 1700 mAh.

The Following User Says Thank You to yrannadx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Just bought the polarcell. 34 hours have been past since the first full charge and It's still going strong, about 20% battery left. Yappari was running in the background all the time. Quite impressive!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
If not for the fact, that creation of aluminum body replacement sucked my funds (thanks to some wonderful investing/donating/pre-ordering people, I was able to buy the best parts for it, so I've put all my savings there, too), I would be already running dual-test on them (via external charger, and inside N900).

From all reports, it seems that they've created some absolutely impressive battery, huh?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia

I did this a few months back, finally got around to replacing the masking tape with electrical tape and taking a picture (finally got camera working, lol).

Last edited by azkay; 2012-09-27 at 06:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
So is Polarcell the best available battery right now?

I use right now the SL-III2E-D31322L battery with 1420 mAh from Aliexpress which was suggested here 1 1/2 years ago~ but it seems to be loosing power slowly :/

Yea, polarcell seems to be all-winner. Reportedly.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc