Active Topics

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
I vote we go back to ITT and Reggie. Good old days...things seemed alot simpler back then.
Oh the good old days Unfortunately the N900's existence is a fact.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I'm interested discovering more detail on what work Nemein can be asked to perform. I anticipate that Nokia funding will be provided at preventative maintenance levels, but it will be good to have that clarified.
The priority will obviously be in keeping things running (preventive maintenance, as you say). But we're also interested in moving things forward, enabling things like the proposed donations framework for Downloads, SSO and better integration between TMO and the rest of the maemo.org community infra.

We're also doing development tasks on the MeeGo/Harmattan side of things, with some of those things also trickling back to maemo.org. For example, MeeGo wants to have a similar setup as the Maemo Social News system, and any improvements we do to that will benefit both.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I look forward to seeing community members take more responsibility for the maemo.org services upon which we rely.
Yep, and the new structure should make that easier. Maemo.org has always been developed with quite an open model and that should definitely continue.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
It would actually be much easier if maemo.org were just the talk forums and a few bits added on.

In reality we're talking about an extremely big entity, with a small staff running it (many of whom are also contracted to meego).

One part of me thinks this will be a Good Thing, as there have been things held up waiting for the right person to be around, and in principle the more that the community is responsible for the better. On the other hand, it will be a considerable responsibility for the council and those people who are currently employed. I don't doubt for one moment we have the necessary skills here, though getting the right people to volunteer in the right places may take a while.

I share lma's concerns (thank you for the excellent digest of the facts) about what happens when the funding dies up. I also experience some anxiety that Nokia has a habit of springing stuff on us with little warning: my instinct is that we should be both preparing for the funding to end, and campaigning for it to continue more or less immediately.

Edit: Thanks to Bergie for the reassurance that Nemein still have plans and commitment for development as well as maintenance here.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2010-09-17 at 17:17.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
maemo.org is bigger than just ITT.
Oh yeah, just so we all understand what we are talking about it includes (please correct me if I've missed anything):
  • all the various apt repositories
  • the extras autobuilder
  • packages interface (including QA)
  • garage (gforge, svn, git, mailman)
  • mailing lists (mailman as well as the midgard interface)
  • wiki
  • bugzilla
  • brainstorm
  • downloads
  • news
  • profiles
  • voting
  • SSO infrastructure (such as it is)
  • vbulletin

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I also experience some anxiety that Nokia has a habit of springing stuff on us with little warning: my instinct is that we should be both preparing for the funding to end, and campaigning for it to continue more or less immediately.
My thoughts exactly. It's safe to assume it won't end in December and probably not in June, but I expect in one of the following few semi-annual reviews it will. It's unreasonable to expect Nemein to pick up the tab, so we should start preparing contingency plans.

There are two parts to this: maintenance & development, and hosting costs.

In theory the hands-on part of could be covered entirely by volunteer work (other projects like Debian and Fedora seem to manage fine for example) but I don't know if we have enough critical mass for that. FWIW I'm more than happy to wear my BOFH hat and pitch in on whatever needs doing.

Hosting on the other hand costs real money, and without a corporate sponsor is going to be tricky :-( For one thing, once you start handling money you need a legal entity which is something we don't currently have. For another you need predictable cash flow in order to budget and plan (and avoid ISPs pulling plugs because of non-payment). Something as variable as ad-hoc donations isn't going to work.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
We're also doing development tasks on the MeeGo/Harmattan side of things
Sorry if it's a silly question, but it wasn't clear to me: is this under a different contract or out of the same ~1-person budget as maemo.org maintenance?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Sorry if it's a silly question, but it wasn't clear to me: is this under a different contract or out of the same ~1-person budget as maemo.org maintenance?
Different. IIRC the only overlaps are that some MeeGo work will also benefit maemo.org, and that Reggie maintains both TMO and the MeeGo forum within same contract.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
One part of me thinks this will be a Good Thing, as there have been things held up waiting for the right person to be around, and in principle the more that the community is responsible for the better. On the other hand, it will be a considerable responsibility for the council and those people who are currently employed. I don't doubt for one moment we have the necessary skills here, though getting the right people to volunteer in the right places may take a while.

I share lma's concerns (thank you for the excellent digest of the facts) about what happens when the funding dies up. I also experience some anxiety that Nokia has a habit of springing stuff on us with little warning: my instinct is that we should be both preparing for the funding to end, and campaigning for it to continue more or less immediately.
Thanks for commenting.

I do like that Nemein seems to share more of the community's interest in Maemo's success than perhaps Nokia does at this point. But I am not seeing where this change causes or enables the community to be more responsible, more self-sufficient or more in control. If Nemein is just Bergie and crew, haven't they always been receptive to getting help from the community? And much of what is discussed, SSO, etc., they are already contracted to provide AFAIK.

I don't know if this was sprung or not. I believe Texrat and I suggested transferring the domain to the community awhile ago and its good to see that considered by Nokia and some proposal made. This is described as a proposal so that implies some feedback or alternatives may be discussed, presumably within the next six months. But as suggested, the community hasn't had, and won't have complete control unless it can itself directly reach agreement with Nemein.

Does the community have any say in how the budget is spent on maintenance / development? Since we have a limited budget that will evaporate altogether in a short while, it may be wise to cut loose some pieces of the infra in advance and redirect resources to others. For example, do we need all of garage? There's plenty of code hosting out there, e.g., GitHub and Google Code. How can we piggyback some of our tools off of meego.com infra?

The Following User Says Thank You to jacktanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Actually, Niels' and David's OBS work should help regarding autobuilder related things. Downloads/packages interface will have to be attended to in any case. I don't think garage or the other components require nearly as much manpower or financial burden to actually be able to conserve significant resources should we cut them loose.

In any case, it might have been timed a bit better (like before the elections so that this conversation could play out *before* the voting begins) but since the handover is in essence a good thing, let's not overanalyse the situation. As for Nemein - if they hit get by a bus, maemo.org is in a lot bigger trouble than the paperwork, as the Nemein staff is at this point the only one thoroughly familiar with all aspects of the infrastructure (esp now that Nokia has left the building).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: