Closed Thread
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I meant in a mobile world, Qt is pretty much dead. In desktop world, Qt is OK alive and I'd rather see Qt applications in Linux-desktops in the future than GTK-applications. (But maybe most likely Python/Qt applications and I hope Python-JIT-interpreter keeps developing and starts to use modern run-time optimizing compiler techniques.)

But if you are in a business of making applications to a mobile end users, I think Qt is dead. You should not ignore Java/Android, because IMO more and more in the future the markets will be there for both in low-end and high-end smartphones. Only total catastrophe from the Oracle vs Google legal fight over Java can stop Android now anymore.
Well lets se whats happens there. QT is ported to android and BlackBerry 10 supports it.

If the FOSS push it as hell it MAY be on mobile too even on android.

Java just sucks IMHO. Developers want alternatives. You can make every developer go Java.

If only Java will be the future I have to change job, cause then I am not intrested. Its as bad as in the 90:s when everyone developed for Microsoft only on desktop market.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-05-05 at 12:10.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You might want to give a read over here--they explain delisting and penny stocks: http://www.investopedia.com/articles...#axzz1tz0cAnXF

You're welcome.
That whole is not even 1/10 as deep as it should be to describe Nokias position.

Just sayin :P

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
That whole is not even 1/10 as deep as it should be to describe Nokias position.

Just sayin :P
You're right, but I couldn't find an appropriate illustration of a big enough hole. ...but then there's THIS huuuuuuge ***hole...

I'd like to think that he's practicing for his new career as a street mime.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Depending on HOW you intend to paint your car green, you already legally can't do so without paying a royalty. Just by example: if you negatively charge the body of the car while painting it with positively charged paint particles, you're already violating several patents.
Not correct. What you are talking about is an idea. You cannot get a patent on an idea. You can only get a patent on a explicitly described and working device or invention that use your idea (or anyones idea for that matter). Someone else can get a patent for another device as long as none of the claims are violated.

Besides, you are as per definition, not violating any patents whatsoever unless the patent owner can prove that you have made economical profit based on violating some claim(s) in his invention. Then the owner of the patent is entitled to some compensation.

Patents and copyrights are two very different beasts. Confusing those two makes great headlines in the tech news, but nothing more than that.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Not correct. What you are talking about is an idea. You cannot get a patent on an idea. You can only get a patent on a explicitly described and working device or invention that use your idea (or anyones idea for that matter). Someone else can get a patent for another device as long as none of the claims are violated.

Besides, you are as per definition, not violating any patents whatsoever unless the patent owner can prove that you have made economical profit based on violating some claim(s) in his invention. Then the owner of the patent is entitled to some compensation.

Patents and copyrights are two very different beasts. Confusing those two makes great headlines in the tech news, but nothing more than that.
He is describing Electrostatic spray painting which was patented by Harold Ransburg in the 40's. I think you are right about it being safe to use legally though.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
You're right, but I couldn't find an appropriate illustration of a big enough hole. ...but then there's THIS huuuuuuge ***hole...

I'd like to think that he's practicing for his new career as a street mime.
I think his boss will probably send him to work for some other company Windows phone will disperatrly need after Nokia has kicked the can. So who's next to join the winning team

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Good news of the day: Nokia's shares stabilized today, the stocks did not decline any further.

(Rumors say that the fact that the stock exchanges were closed today, Saturday, were a major contributing factor)

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
Good news of the day: Nokia's shares stabilized today, the stocks did not decline any further.

(Rumors say that the fact that the stock exchanges were closed today, Saturday, were a major contributing factor)
Funny guy.. fuuunny guuuy!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by specc View Post
I wasn't thinking about WP, I was thinking in general terms. The ability to multitask several programs isn't a good measure for a smartphone OS. Multitasking is almost irrelevant, secondary at best.
The mantra of dumbed down OS...
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
The mantra of dumbed down OS...
I agree, but then you wouldn't mount automatic transmission on a MC even though many people feel it is a necessity on a car.

It is user experience of the end product that counts, not some features of the OS.

IMO the user experience is much better with multitasking, but having a fluent and dead easy user experience is obviously more important for most people. Just knowing that you can push the "home" button and the phone is back to the same state as if just rebooted, is a revelation for most people. That way they know they can't "mess up". That is about as much complication they can handle.

For some people multitasking is second nature. I don't think you will get more than 5% market share if your focus is on those people though. The optimum is to make multitasking invisible for everyday use, yet enable some control for those who want it. ICS seems to at least try to do it correct.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen