See the thing that really perplexes me about this is it says;

Last edited by zabishah20; Today at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling corretion
I can still barely make out what your trying to convey - I am just going to have to assume your first language isn't English.

I don't know where to begin exactly, but there is NO NEED for Maemo anti-virus software.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
x86 based viruses will not do much to ARM based phones. Like the N900.

All it will do is probably crash the system. At most.

There's not yet anyone much programming malware for Maemo. Once upon a time there were no need for MS DOS antivirus either. But thinking security on ANY platform is good practice, even if there's no known exploits - yet.

Virus is an outdated term anyway, I would believe a rootkit is a more reasonable threat to worry about on this micro-webserver known as N900.

Edit: and of course, transmitting viruses. If you first hook this up as a drive on a virus infected machine, and then on another machine, the virus may be transferred.

Last edited by volt; 2010-06-11 at 12:27.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Anti virus for nokia N900" with four posts has been merged into this thread.

Today I used my N800. I connected to the Internet as usual but had to remove Skype for the umpteenth time because the call button was again greyed out. When I went to Skype to reload it, I got the msg. untrusted certificate. Sadly I was in a hurry and did not inspect the certificate. I kept getting this msg. Every time after the first, I just hit cancel. Eventually when I hit the browser icon, it would say web loading. But it would not load. I also got the msg. that my browser had "no home" page.

When I got the N800, everyone bragged about how Nokia kept supporting "older" devices. Now I see that people who want to support MeeGo for the N800 are having their forum comments closed. As someone said Maemo is a "quirky" OS. The people who want to port Android to the N800 do not seem to be getting the necessary support. Are we left holding the empty box and a brick when we fail to check a certificate?

Originally Posted by oouc View Post
Now I see that people who want to support MeeGo for the N800 are having their forum comments closed.
Surely that's because they're redundant, what with a lively discussion taking place on the MeeGo forums themselves.

As someone said Maemo is a "quirky" OS. The people who want to port Android to the N800 do not seem to be getting the necessary support.
This is because Android requires custom drivers for things like 3D that require sources Nokia cannot distribute.

Also, I believe your post is off-topic for this thread.

wmarone said "Also, I believe your post is off-topic for this thread."

This thread is about virus. If talking about a virus is off-topic then I guess anything that reveals a flaw from Nokia is off-topic.

Originally Posted by oouc View Post
This thread is about virus. If talking about a virus is off-topic then I guess anything that reveals a flaw from Nokia is off-topic.
Hi Oouc - the reason why talking about flaws or bugs in a thread about virus's is off-topic is because these are different things.

A virus is a malicious application intended to compromise a computer, whereas a bug is a legitimate application behaving in unintended ways through programmatical errors.

You would be better off posting your comments about the issues with skype in a more relavent thread, as you are most likely to get better suggestions or help.

Hi.. Are there any anti-virus software available for Nokia N900..

There are many for Symbian versions.. so is any app expected for the N900 soon??

N900 is designed to be online 24/7 (although not all mayb), hence it is a very important that we have some good Anti-virus app like Norton, AVG, Mcafee etc.. for the Nokia N900..

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Anti Virus Software" (1 post) has been merged into this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
770, antivirus, bora, chinook, diablo, fremantle, gregale, internet tablet os, itos, maemo, maemo 2, maemo 3, maemo 4, maemo 5, mistral, n800, n810, n900, os2005, os2006, os2007, os2008, scirocco, virus