Ah...right...would it be possible to solder a wire from that ferrite to another pin on the USB and have it send power out the port?

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

I'm with slakker on this one.... what internal mod to get an ipod running as an external drive... ie power to usb?

plus flash to host mode...

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Austin, TX
Even if the Nokia 770 generates +5volts for it's own circuitry, it would be a bad idea to try to tap that power for external USB devices.

There are a couple reasons besides battery drain:
-External USB devices could pull much more power then the 770 could provide (not due the battery life, due to the internal power regulators output)
-There no protection on the USB jack if a device were to pull too much power, or short out. (Normal USB jacks on PC's have this protection)
-Most of the internal circuits on the 770 probably run off 3.3volts not 5volts.
This allows them to work most efficiently off a lithium battery.

So you will still need to do the external power injection modifications on the 770 in host mode, as has been posted in the forums before.

ok..

I've been through all those earlier mods.
I just thought this one would work for an ipod as it already has it's own built in battery.... thus shouldn't pull power down from the n770 but might make the ipod accessable as an external drive...

???????????/

Any thoughts?

I would think that perhaps the 770 would just charge itself off of the iPod battery...

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

that would be helpful in its self....

back up battery supply for the 770 from the ipod.... but could the ipod be accessed from the 770 if you flash the 770 into host mode?????

If it's not accessible without this mod, I don't see how this would change it.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

I get what you are asking, but neither the 770 or ipod usb ports were designed to output power, they are power imputs.
Host mode changes the 770 so external devices can link to the 770 as any other linux computer, but it wont change the way the charger circuit works.

yeah...

but going back to ThoughtFix's powered USB hack using 2 cables to tell the n770 that there was something attached to the usb... the whole point was about getting power where power wasn't?????????

I'm I on the right track?

So I thought this mod might fix the same issue.

ZapWizard....Did you try it?
can you try it for us?

I have connected both the charger cable and USB cables at the same time, nothing screws up, but I don't use my 770 in host mode, but here is no reason it should not work.
Just don't put too much stuff on the USB port (hubs, etc.) as that thin wire isn't made to carry much current.